Fender Unveils 9/11 Tribute Guitars

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Louis Cypher, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Fender Unveils 9/11 Tribute Guitars | Guitar World
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sure Fender mean well but.... I dunno this for some reason doesn't sit right imo....

2. Louis Cypher

New York Fire Department Stratocaster
    • “Survivor” pin bearing two stars and numeral 343; the number of firefighters and paramedics killed at the World Trade Center complex on Sept. 11, 2001. Clarke notes that this is “the highest New York Fire Department commendation ever given.”
    • “Rescuer” pin bearing one star and numeral 343; denotes a responder on the scene within 24 hours. Clarke notes that these commendations were distributed on the first anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001.
    • “Campaign” pin bearing numeral 343 (no star); denotes any New York City Fire Department responder on the job on Sept. 11, 2001, present or not at the World Trade Center.
    • Specially commissioned New York City Fire Department badge commemorating the agency’s 343 officers, firefighters and paramedics lost on Sept. 11, 2001.
    • 11 individual commendation bars signify acts of bravery not specifically related to Sept. 11, 2001.

New York Police Department Stratocaster
    • “U.S. Flag” pin bearing 09-11-01. Clarke notes that these were issued to New York Police and Port Authority officers in the wake of the tragedy.
    • “WTC” pin issued to New York police and Port Authority officers.
    • NYPD Medal of Honor; a green bar with 12 stars denoting “Individual acts of extraordinary bravery in the line of duty at imminent and personal danger to the police officers’ life above and beyond the call of duty.”
    • NYPD Police Combat Cross; a solid green bar denoting “Members who have successfully and intelligently performed an act of extraordinary heroism while engaged in personal combat with an armed adversary under circumstances of imminent personal hazard to life.”
    • NYPD Medal for Valor; a solid blue bar denoting “Acts of outstanding personal bravery intelligently performed in the line of duty at imminent personal hazard to life under circumstances evincing a disregard of personal consequences.”
    • NYPD Meritorious Award; multi-colored bar denoting “An act of extraordinary bravery.”
    • Pistol expert pin.
    • Specially commissioned New York City Police Department badge commemorating the agency’s 23 officers lost on Sept. 11, 2001.

Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Stratocaster
    • “U.S. Flag” pin bearing 09-11-01. Clarke notes that these were issued to New York police and Port Authority officers in the wake of the tragedy.
    • “WTC” pin issued to New York police and Port Authority officers.
    • NYPD Police Combat Cross; a solid green bar denoting “Members who have successfully and intelligently performed an act of extraordinary heroism while engaged in personal combat with an armed adversary under circumstances of imminent personal hazard to life.” Also issued to Port Authority officers.
    • “Bronze Star” pin; green, white and blue bar bearing a bronze star denoting “Integrity for great personal danger in the performance of duty.”
    • “Blue Star” pin; green, white and blue bar bearing a blue star denoting community service.
    • “Meritorious Police Duty” pin; green, white and blue bar (no star).
    • Pistol sharpshooter pin.
    • Specially commissioned Port Authority of New York and New Jersey badge commemorating the agency’s 37 officers lost on Sept. 11, 2001.

3. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

I'm sure they're not deliberately trying to provoke anyone, but this does seem pretty tasteless, to me at least. Putting aside the whole profit-from-others'-misery for a minute, there's still the idea that you'd be on stage playing on a guitar that shows images of one of the worst moments of humanity.

4. Xiphos68

Xiphos68 SS.org Regular

I don't see anything wrong with them neccesarily (since they're being donated and commerating), but I wouldn't have depicted a 9/11 the way they did the red one.
    Plus the policeman holding that piece of steel or what type of damage from the building it is(did that actually happen). Because I don't recall seeing a picture of a officer doing that or at least holding it above him, maybe it's a symbol?

Not sure how I feel about the badges on the guitars though?

EDIT: Eventually worked (link above).

5. MUTANTOID

MUTANTOID SS.org Regular

Nothing about those are visually striking. They look like cheap import dollar store toys or something.

Edit: This is what came to mind when looking at those guitars. I think it's a great idea to raise money for this cause, but the product is anything but tasteful.
    [​IMG]

6. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

I don't think there was any intentional cause of a cheap and somewhat offensive (To me, at least) design, but yeah, I don't really think I'd feel comfortable owning or playing one.

7. Louis Cypher

No I agree I am sure they aren't trying to be anything but respectful but still it as you say even if all the money was going to charity etc etc... why would you buy it.... dunno sometimes I get guitar manufactures making theses sort of tribute models but then with theses I really don't get the point.... and tbh the art work of the police officer holding up the debris is pretty poor and at best very cheesy....

Works for me, if not though just got to the guitar world site mate its on the home page the link

Didn't read this bit.... Obviously I take it from this they are one off's...
    Even if they are one off's I still think the question should be why make them in the first place?

8. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

Well, considering that they're being donated, one can tell that their heart is in the right place (excluding the idea that all charity that large companies do is for publicity). I still can't get past the idea that it just seems a little off.

9. motomoto

motomoto SS.org Regular

I really don't like this.

But i'm not really into tributes and stuff

10. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Why not, I understand a US corp would want to make a tribute, but I guess their place would be better in a display case as a "don't forget" memento than on a stage.

The art could be better though, they look like cheapo guitars. The inlaid mementos are a good idea though, but the painting is...well.

Imho the "right" thing would be to offer them to the concerned agencies.

11. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

as a New Yorker...im tired of this shit. Its tacky. Please stop.

12. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Where we you when you saw the horrors of 9/11....

....air-brushed onto the face of a Fender Stratocaster?

13. motomoto

motomoto SS.org Regular

i'm not American, but i totally agree with this

14. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

The guy who pitched this should be fired.

Come on Fender, really?

15. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

The one with the cop on it looks like a piece of Soviet propaganda... only not as visually striking or impressive...

16. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

:agreed:

And those guitars are really ugly.

17. teqnick

teqnick The Juggernaut

TOO FAR.

18. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Wow, those are ridiculous.

19. themike

themike Chug Life

The only way these would even be on the border of acceptable is if ALL of the the profits went to charities for the victims, first responders and others associated with and still suffering from the tragedies.

20. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Words can't describe how disgusting this is. I thought what Dean are doing was tasteless...