Fender LoneStar Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ThePuritan, Dec 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ThePuritan

ThePuritan SS.org Regular

hi everyone, I own 3 Strats, always loved the way they feel. But I am on a mission to play a heavy style like Joe Satriani or Steve Vai etc. So I went to the store and tried a couple of Ibanez. I did not liked them at all. While at the store, I tried another Strat and I said, “This is home”! So my question is, what if I changed the pickups? Would that help me as in sound? Any recommendations? I currently play with a SSH. And I have a Fender Twin Reverb 65 Which works great to use with effects.

Attached Files:

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Generally speaking most any humbuckers should work 'fine' for Satch or Vai tones. The most important factor in sound is your amp and cab. I would recommend a higher gain amp or a high gain pedal to use with your Fender TR65.

If you're happy with how a strat plays and feels then stick with them, nothing wrong with that. You can play heavy music on most any guitar, especially a strat with a humbucker in it.

If you have a decent high gain amp or high gain pedal and still want something 'more,' then you could buy a new humbucker for your new strat. If you want Vai or Satch tones try looking at their signature Dimarzio pickups. Satch and Vai both have multiple signature pickups. Their more 'classic' signature pickups were either the FRED or Mo Joe bridge pickups (Satch) and the Evolution or Evolution 2 (Vai).

Satch has a new Satchur8 pickup and Vai also has the Dark Matter (1 and 2) and Gravity Storm. Ultimately though I think if you're looking for 'typical/classic/' Satch or Vai to go for the FRED, Moe Joe, or Evolution (1 or 2).

3. ThePuritan

Thanks for your input; i guess I need to focus on my pedal mostly. I have a few analog pedals around and then a PODHD500X which does have the gain, but of course; the quality of the effects may not be the same as a full Tone Distortion pedal and so on and on the other hand, a distortion along is not enough. This unit is not enough since in order to pull a decent sound I need to use 2 distortions plus a compressor, a noise reduction and a equalizer. So any the end I am left with no room for modulation abd reverbs

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Your Strat is *probably* routed HSH under the pickguard (I'd check before doing anything) so if you wanted you could easily buy a new pickguard and wire it up with either two humbuckers, or HSH. That should get you a lot closer to a Satch/Vai sound. As far as humbuckers, both have used the PAF Pro in the neck at one point or another, its response has always felt "stratty" to me, and it's my absolute favorite neck humbucker, so I'd start there. You could keep the current humbucker in the bridge for now - is there anything about it not working for you?

I wouldn't worry about effects too much - you're definitely going to want some sort of overdrive capable of producing a fair amount of gain if you're plugging into a Fender, so worry about that for now. Satch uses a DS1, so trying one of those through your amp might be a good start...?

5. ThePuritan

I have the S1 system that activated the humbucker, I believe to be SSH

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

What I mean, though, is that while the guitar currently is SSH, I bet you the body of the guitar has a route big enough in the neck position to take a humbucker as well as a singlecoil. Fender has been doing that, at least for their American Standard series and I think the others as well, since at LEAST 1997, when I bought my main Strat.

7. ThePuritan

I see, that sounds like an awesome idea!!! My band mate works at Sam Ash? He is the tech in charged of modification and repairs. I am going to put thought to your idea! Thanks to everyone for your inputs!