FEELER - 7 String Jackson Kelly Run?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by oracles, Apr 30, 2017.

1. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

As a gauge of interest, who would be interested in a run of USA Custom KE-7's? I've wanted one for a while, figured I'd open it up in case anyone else was in the same spot. I haven't yet contacted a dealer, though Matt's Music is the first that comes to mind, given the success of the SL2H7 that was done a few years back.

Would you be interested? We'd need at least 10 people to commit to the run in order to make it happen.

So far my idea for it would be basically this as a KE-7
    [​IMG]

2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

How do you know you'd need 10 people to commit if you haven't contacted anyone?

I'm more looking for a 7-string warrior run if you could be convinced of that or if they don't mind mixing crazy body shapes in the run.

3. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Matts Music or the Music Zoo are the dealer's I'd try. The problem I see is that prices seem to have skyrocketed over the last few years. A group run might help, but discounting what easily could be a $5k guitar even by $1000 still leaves us with something pretty darn expensive with a massive wait time.

4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

US Custom does the USA Select models, right? I mean those are like $3.3k -- I think that would be the better starting point than full custom.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The 7th string means they aren't Selects anymore. Adding strings is Masterbuilt only.

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yea, I mean, I get that they wouldn't officially be Selects, but is the idea of Selects just to do small batches of fixed specs in the custom shop? So if we present them a small fixed-spec batch, sure there's the tooling for that extra string, but I would the overall effect is something in the Selects price range. I mean, you also bring them a fixed set of guaranteed orders -- I think people underestimate how important that is to these companies.

Then again, a lefty juggernaut is a $6k+ endeavour apparently!

7. MaxOfMetal

The idea of the Selects isn't batching it's narrowing the available options and keeping things "simple" enough that the regular CS guys and their helpers/apprentices can do all the heavy lifting. They're basically taking a page out of Carvin's book. Smaller spec pool, smaller price. Most of the Selects are a small handful of standard USA Jacksons that are given the buyer's choice of hardware and aesthetic touches. I'd be willing to bet that the operation is much closer to Jackson USA than Jackson CS as far as process goes.

The whole point of the group buy is to lower the price, and it did considerably for the SL2H-7 run on here, but the prices have gone up by 20% to 30% and they instituted the new tier system (Select vs. Master).

Given how backed up they are, I doubt that taking on more orders at a discount is incredibly high on their list of priorities.

Right now, adding a 7th string is a $2600 upcharge. That's $1700 for the Master Built fee and an additional $900 for the string itself. That's all MSRP, so let's assume the same ~40% off for street that the Selects are running vs. MSRP, and that's still just shy of $1600. I don't really see them waiving all the fees, but it would be awesome.

All that said, this thread is pretty pointless without at least shooting a feeler over to a dealer. I know it sucks being a tire kicker, but if any of the previous group buy threads are an indicator you're never going to go anywhere unless you have some real numbers. By not having a price quote you're enticing those who think it will be cheaper and putting off those who think it will be more expensive. :2c:

8. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

I'm actually open to the idea of trying to organize a run with the Music Zoo, but I think I'd need to present them with at least ballpark specs for them to come back with any pricing info. And I'm not optimistic we'd find ten people to agree on even ballpark specs. The Kelly in the OP isn't my thing.

I priced a Jackson/Charvel 7-string Tele last year (asked for Charvel, dealer pushed toward Jackson instead). Bolt on with no inlay and solid finish: $5k street. Maybe the Tele shape was a big up charge, but folks need to be prepared for the $$$ for this. The group run isn't suddenly going to mean we get a 7-string Jackson for $2.5k. It's still going to be very expensive.

9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yea, if it's not getting below $3k, honestly I'm not seeing it happening. Maybe on some big facebook page, like if there's a Jackson fan page or something like that, but not with just the small group of guys that want an extreme Jackson shape at $3k+ on SSO. Plus, we'd all have to agree on specs - that probably knocks out 80% of that population.

10. MaxOfMetal

It was hard enough getting the required amount of folks for SL2H-7 run which was for thier most popular shape with the most popular feature set in the most neutral color, back when the prices were a good amount lower and the wait times shorter.

I remember Mesh really had to fight to make that happen and even in the end I don't think everyone came out happy.

11. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

^ yeah, I liked that run in theory. I could swallow the abalone inlay though I didn't like them. But in the end I really don't think they got the headstock right. In a vast majority of the pics from that run, it looks strange. It's a lot of money to roll the dice.

What we should do is a group run for Charvel San Dimas 7s like in my avatar. (Please?) Dead simple specs (oil mahogany body, maple neck, Floyd, Duncans, done). Charvel has made a handful just like it, so we know it's repeatable. I think street is around $4k and a two year wait. Maybe a group run could nudge it down closer to $3k. I would like this to happen!

12. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

I shot an email to Matt's Music who did confirm the minimum buy requirement is ten units, however they can't give out any pricing info without specs. If the interest is there, I can still see it being an uphill battle given what it took to make the SL2H7 run happen, since the pool for extreme shapes is small, which means the potential for spec disagreements is multiplied. Given the traction we got here and the likely pricing, it doesn't seem as though too many people are keen, so I might just have to place my own CS order and leave it at that.

13. Aso

Aso EDM Sludge Music Contributor

It's a cool idea but i don't think finding enough people to make the run possible will happen. Just use me as an example, I own two custom select Jacksons, one masterbuilt and another masterbuilt on order. Once you get over the 3-3.5k mark. I am much more inclined to order the exact model and specs I want than deal with the compromises and frustrations that come with trying to put together a group run. I like the idea of a group run ( double rhoads please!) but getting everyone to agree seems impossible. I don't think I've seen a Jackson group run be successful in the last 2-4 years.

14. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

This is a great idea but people have to realize that its going to be at least 3k plus and take at least 2 years or so to complete. I was lucky being able to purchase a spare from the last Jackson run SSO did a few years ago and never regretted it! To this day it's still my number one player and kills any guitar I put it against!