FCC Votes to Begin Net Neutrality Rollback

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Dredg, May 18, 2017.

1. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

2. sezna

sezna undermotivated

my thoughts:

wtf

edit: it is just a proposal. nothing actually approved. Bit of a sensationalist title on NPR's part.

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I feel like movement to end net neutrality is one of the most plain ways we can see that the legislative branch of our government works for ONLY corporations and lobbyists and NOT the rest of their constituents.

4. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

very much how I feel at the moment. I haven't seen a reasonable argument against net neutrality yet.

5. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

Because Americans are too ....ing stupid to know what it means. Yes, I am American :

[​IMG]

These folks are "For" net neutrality.....?

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Banning hateful, libelous websites has nothing to do with net neutrality.

I don't agree with those protesters, for the record.

If CNN paid Verizon a bucket of cash to get special preference over Breitbart that would be bad, as that goes against net neutrality.

It's right in the name, neutrality. ISPs should not be able to give preference to one site over another.

7. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

Agreed that banning hatespeech is antithetical. I'll celebrate the day that sites like Stormfront and other hate sites collapse, but I will fight for their right to exist, as censoring things we don't like is not the philosophy we should carry forward.

8. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I've seen people trying to make this a partisan issue, which just says to me that they have no idea what it really means. But when Netflix doesn't load for you because you have Comcast and Netflix didn't play ball with them OR you are paying 30 dollars a month for it, you'll still blame it on the opposing party I guess.

I really think that the hateful sites and the misinformation will sort itself out without needing there to be an end to net neutrality. I just want the freedom to be able to visit whatever website I want and not be led to another one because it loads faster.

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

This, pretty much. I think a site masquerading as a legitimate news network needs to be held to a slightly higher standard for journalistic integrity than a discussion forum, and that running stories they know to be false or without any sort of reasonable factual basis is certainly problematic and should be treated as such...

...but I don't want Comcast to bottleneck data being retrieved from Breitbart in favor of their own proprietary content, either. I hate the alt-right as much as the next liberal, but slow download speeds are just cruel and unusual. :lol:

Well, sort of. It's a proposal that's been put forward for public comment, but it was after a 2-1 FCC vote and has a very good chance of being adopted as a regulatory framework. Also, worth mentioning in passing that the GOP has been pushing for this, the DNC included maintaining net neutrality as part of their 2016 platform.