FBI Caught Spying

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by orb451, Oct 8, 2010.

1. orb451

orb451 Banned

Link (somewhat long article):

Caught Spying on Student, FBI Demands GPS Tracker Back | Threat Level | Wired.com

This has got me thinking, WHAT THE FUCK?

I'm all for catching terrorists, bad guys, etc, but there *are* limits to what I'd say is fair, just or good. Most of those limits are probably beyond what some of you would consider fair, just, etc.

Regardless, this poor bastard is a US Citizen, whose only *potential* crime is being friends with someone who made some stupid comments somewhere online and yeah, being brown/Muslim. I guess that was enough to get him on the FBI's watchlist. Not. Fucking. Cool.

Wingchunwarrior likes this.
  2. Razzy

Razzy [10]

Big brother is watching you.

3. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

Hasn't this been going since the dawn of time? Every government wants ears on its citizens. The only difference between a "good" gov't and "bad" one is the good one doesn't get caught as often.

EDIT:

Also there is no fucking way I would give that device back to them. :lol:

4. orb451

orb451 Banned

I guess to a certain extent that's true. It's just hard for me to fathom just how *little* it takes to end up on some department's watch list. Funny/scary too that the FBI told the guy "Don't get a lawyer. Don't worry, you're boring."

EDIT: In the article there's another bit about them and the device, saying something like "give it back NOW, or we'll make things *really* difficult for you"

5. IDLE

IDLE SS.org Regular

That thing is huge and it looks like a bomb. I would have thrown it in the ocean.

6. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

I personally would tell tehm to go fuck themselves.

Seriously in this day and age, anybody can get anything publicized. Get a few videocameras and a live stream to facebook or cnn or whatever, and the next thing you know we have the next watergate.

7. orb451

orb451 Banned

I agree with the sentiment, but in practice I don't think I could do it. It's ridiculously easy for a regular cop to make your life hell, let alone the feds. I would *not* want to test them over how far, or how difficult, they could make your life. But making a stink about it, publicizing it, etc are all good moves in terms of possibly getting things changed.

8. orb451

orb451 Banned

And then you would have possibly been charged with destruction of government property and obstruction of justice. Not something I'd risk just to make a statement, but to each his own.

9. The Munk

The Munk SS.org Regular

:noplease:
    Right in my area too!

10. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Who knows, we may even have enough anarchists on this forum to end up on a watch list or two ourselves. ;)

11. Thaeon

Thaeon SS.org Regular

^this

12. Origin

Origin Rainbow In The Dark

I don't believe in 'big brother' or any conspiracy that has ever existed, and even I know this is just fucking wrong and stupid. These agents deserve to be fired. Privacy before 'national security,' always. It's kinda sickening that they don't even give a fuck about putting their prick noses into all of his affairs.. leave him alone, he didn't do shit.

13. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Unfortunately, thanks to the 9th Circuit Court ruling this is completely legal :(

14. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Well, I was having a good day! ;)

Seriously though, I'm infuriated after reading this article.

“We’re going to make this much more difficult for you if you don’t cooperate.”

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Here's the part I don't think I get; How is this device still considered government property when it's been physically attached to his personal property? I'd hope there's at least one slime-ball lawyer out there who could find the right argument for him if it came down to it..

Had it been me, I think I would have called the local and national media, and then locked myself (and the device) in some place, preferably a church so I could claim sanctuary. ;)

15. orb451

orb451 Banned

Well I think I read somewhere in there about the ACLU taking up the case. I don't necessarily agree with everything they stick their noses into, but this is one area that I hope gets some legal attention because it is a bunch of bullshit.

And I'm sure in some obscure section of their warrant, or the laws that allow them to pull this kind of crap, they have it covered whereby the property remains theirs, despite being attached to something that is rightfully yours.

Scarier still is the talk about how the devices are usually "not found that easily" and something about them usually being installed with wiring directly to the car battery, thus removing the need for a battery pack.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck....
    :rolleyes:

16. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

I would have given it back to them completely disassembled to it's electronic components...

17. Origin

Origin Rainbow In The Dark

Or take it apart and post pictures of every component so people can figure it out and build their own, and ruin the company that made it :lol:

18. IDLE

IDLE SS.org Regular

It wouldn't be a statement really, more like holy shit this looks like a pipe bomb connected to a detonator. Into the ocean with you! I certainly wouldn't have held on to it and taken a picture.

19. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Always watching.... always judging.

20. The Munk

The Munk SS.org Regular

I'd love for them to try and hook that newer crap up to my ride.
    The fuzz on my battery would have dissolved it by morning!