Favorite wood/pickups for high gain?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by vejichan, Feb 14, 2017.

1. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Mahogany body + Mahogany/Maple set neck and some kind of filthy lower mid monster pickup without icepick top end. See: Lace & Zombie Dust.

P90's are fun too.

Basically the kind of stuff that would be described as muddy on this forum :D

2. bnzboy

bnzboy youtube.com/bnzboy

Duncan Holcomb Set + Holcomb Custom 24 is the best guitar combination that I have played so far. I prefer the Mahogany with maple top combination I guess. But then again I love my Fender strats made of alder and ash.

3. SullyGuitars

SullyGuitars Vendor

Is that the one I sent ya? I had a feeling you'd enjoy that one. :)

Sully

4. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to woods, alder/ash for strats, swamp ash for teles, mahogany for singlecuts, etc. I love the Suhr ML pickups in my strat, Lollar Special/Vintage T, and for the most part I like the stock pickups in my PRSi. #7's and 408 pickups are fantastic.

5. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

I like mahogany with SD Custom 5s. I also like basswood with 57/66s.

100% purely because that's what I happen to own.

6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I have only two body wood species that I intentionally avoid: northern ash and swamp ash. I find they always sound hollow in the mids. Ash looks great though and I think that is why it is so common in many Kiesels for example.

Other than that I have had good luck with alder, mahogany and basswood bodies, mostly with maple necks though mahogany is fine too.

Pickups depend a lot on the woods and overall construction of the guitar. I would pick whatever complements the basic sound of the guitar. I currently have guitars with pickups from G&L, Suhr, Mastertone, Vintage Vibe, Wulfetone, Seymour Duncan and Kiesel. All work well in the guitars they are in. Some have had their original pickups changed either due to quality or to find something that balances their tone.

There's a lot of hype with forum favorite pickup manufacturers and models changing every few years. Several years ago everyone wanted Duncans or DiMarzios, then it was BKPs and now it's probably something else again.

7. primitiverebelworld

primitiverebelworld SS.org Regular

Ash can be a bxtch to tame speaking from my experience. Quality basswood is really good for guitar seriously.

8. MoonJelly

MoonJelly brainless and deadly Contributor

whatev man, I'm a Dimarzio b1tch 4 lyfe! Duncan Nazgul iz the trve kvlt of bro0talz!

:shred: :yesway: :hbang: :scream: :nuts:

9. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

I just returned a new Kiesel Swamp ash bodied guitar that had a walnut neck (Bolt on) and it was not scooped in the mids at all. That thing had some hyper aggressive mids all around. A shame it had to go back for issues I had with the bridge/action because the tone was phenomenal.

10. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

I did really dig the Custom, but this is a custom shop SD pickup: merging the Nazgul and Black Winter with a bit of the JB (though realistically, it's the aspects of the JB that the Custom nails better). I put that Custom in my So Cal and it was perfect.

11. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

I don't know where all the love for the Nazgul is coming from. I have one in my KM-7 and I can't pickup the guitar without thinking about how much I dislike it. So harsh and shrilly. Need to choose a replacement soon.

Here is a spinoff question:
    Warm guitar + Bright Pickup
    or
    Bright guitar + Warm Pickup?

12. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Both?

Les Pauls benefit real heavily from brighter pickups, and I love the sound of the Tone Zone in a Strat.

Hell, I can't say I haven't put bright pickups in a bright guitar and gotten satisfying results either.

13. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I'd much rather try to tame a bright guitar than to try to brighten a dark one. I've had dark guitars in the past and I've struggled to make them something they're not. It's a lot easier to remove something that's there than to add something that isn't.

14. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Those are two different sounds. Do you want a bright attack and dark sustain, or medium attack and bright sustain? The only correct answer is both.

15. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

The KM7 is a very bright guitar since its 26.5" with a swamp ash body. The Nazgul works much better in mahogany or similar warmer sounding guitars. The highs are much rounder while the ceramic magnet tightens up the lows.

16. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I'm not too bothered about the wood species in my electrics. For pickup, EMG 81 bridge.

17. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

What are some warm neck and bridge pickups in the BKP and SD line? Would BKP alnico blackhawks be overkill or too muddy?

18. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

I look at every guitar as a combination of all the parts with a healthy dose of random quirks and properties thrown in for good measure.

For me, it comes down to trying lots of combinations and lucking into one that you like.

Some combos I've liked are an ESP M-II with a JB that I hated at first but ended up growing on me, a CrunchLab in an RG550 reissue and an Evo2 in an RG1570.

Some combos I didn't like are an Invader in the RG1570, which was a muddy as you'd expect and the Evo2 in a Charvel Fusion Custom that surprised me with a flubby bottom end that the RG1570 didn't have. Both guitars shared similar parts specs (both basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fret board) but differed in scale length.

19. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Me either, it's absolute garbage. I'd rather use INF3/4 pickups than a Nazgul.

20. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

With a name like Nazgul I always thought it would sound like a Swedish Black Metal EP from 1990, all treble and fizz. Is this about right?