Favorite Method To share Audio Tracks And Songs

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by BLD, Sep 10, 2018.

1. BLD

BLD Fast Is Fun!

I’m wondering what everyone here is using to share audio tracks and songs. I read the post about photo sharing and posting, and appreciate that. I was done with photobucket years ago...

What do you all like to use to post audio files and songs? I will be doing some youtube vids and have google drive. I can also export .wav and .mp3 files out of my DAW (Studio 1).

I figured this may be helpful when asking for help on mixing, or pickup selection, and sharing songs when finished.

Thanks!

2. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

Hi there,
    I'm using Dropbox to share mixes, clicktracks etc with my bandmates. I created different folders so things don't get messy. For me it's a perfect solution.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I used to use Dropbox all the time for things, but its got so many weird quirks that make it kind of useless IMO. Things like not being able to share a folder with people unless they also have enough free space in their account to hold that data in it. And how it reaaaaaaally wants you to use their app to sync stuff.

I switched to Google Drive a while back and never looked back. 100x better, for me anyway.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  4. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I would say google drive for sending mix data.

For posting songs I say Soundcloud. I know many people who only forum at work. I am one of them and I would say about 75% of the "check out my song" threads I can't check out because they use some weird format.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  5. BLD

BLD Fast Is Fun!

Thanks! I’ve been using google drive for a few days now, and while it has let my friend and I share files between our DAWs, it won’t be something that I want to host and share finished music from (only plays on my phone half the time...). I’ll check out soundcloud. My buddy and I seem to have different taste in mixing and I may want to ask for some opinions once we get the first couple songs recorded.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Also, lots of companies block access to services like dropbox from the office. Soundcloud is pretty safe in terms of everyone being able to actually see it.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  7. soldierkahn

soldierkahn BAD MAMMA-JAMMA Contributor

I can confirm this, especially any Government networks. I admin some of them.

8. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Dropbox maxed out on me too fast, so I use a simple internet web hosting which has ftp and unlimited uploads / downloads - I zip files I share with other musicians and ftp them to my server at the web hosting company. FTP was since the 60s what essentially became a fancy word for "the cloud" :)

Filezilla is a freeware FTP program that can work with most if not all web hosts.

For single files I occasionally use Soundcloud, but I find more and more that I am going almost 100% back to FTP, unless I want that file to be heard by more people, then Bandcamp.