Favorite 26.5" Six Strings

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Sunbather, May 7, 2017.

1. Sunbather

Sunbather SS.org Regular

Since Mayo started doing 26.5" I figured it'd be a good time to bring this up!

What are some of your favorite 26.5" 6 strings?

I had an RGD2120Z in Silver Cobweb that was great. The new Iron Label RGDs are surprisingly not bad for what they are. I also always wanted the Kenny Hickey sig for fanboy purposes. It plays... alright, haha.

Either way cool that Mayo is doing it. Quite a comfy scale and allows great tension in Drop C.

2. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I had my eyes on a cobweb silver 2120, even made an offer, but it was sold to someone else. :(

I really like 26.5" on my seven stringer RGD and on the six string iron label RGD models that I have played.

3. LosingSleep

LosingSleep SS.org Regular

I've only played one 26.5 six. It was one of the new RGDs with the natural finish. Pickups were a little weak, but the guitar was solid.
    I think the 26.5 scale is actually great for six strings. Playing in Drop B and Drop A# is something a lot of people do, and this is the perfect scale for it.
    25.5 works fine, but can get a little muddy. A 28" baritone like the RGIB and the Mushoks are too long for someone who wants to shred. 26.5 is the perfect medium for anything around Drop B imo.

4. Passtheapathy

Passtheapathy SS.org Regular

Is Mayones seriously doing 26.5 sixes? I don't see it on their site. I've been on the hunt for one of these for a while. The current Ibanez 26.5 sixes are all import with specs I don't like, and very few companies do these nowadays. ESPs baritones are also kinda mediocre.

5. Sunbather

Sunbather SS.org Regular

Yep it's a brand new option, just announced!

6. Nagash

Nagash doesn't like things

I think most brands don't release "quality" baritone sixes because the demand is too small :/

7. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

I believe Kiesel has 26.5" on some 6 strings too now, not 100% sure but likely.

I'm unsure how I feel about 26.5" scale.. I have two 7s right now (Aristides 070 and Schecter KM7) and it just feels slightly too long to me. Maybe its just I'm too used to 25" and 25.5" but I dunno.. Just seems off to me. I don't tune lower than one-step below standard though.