Fattening up the tone of an Ibanez RG

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by elkoki, Sep 10, 2018.

1. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I'd really like to experiment with some pickups to get a bigger,fatter sound out of my Ibanez RG1570.. The specs are I guess the typical RG specs, basswood body, bolt on maple/rosewood neck, and a locking trem. I know it might seem unrealistic but i'd like to get it to sound as close to an LP style guitar as possible. I got a Schecter Solo (with emgs) that's an LP style guitar with a 25.5'' scale and a big,heavy ass body that sounds huge. It's very fun to play and write music on, it just sounds SO good for metal,shred, hard rock,punk...

The RG though sounds way thinner in comparison, if I could install EMG's in it I probably would have but the pickup routes aren't big enough. Are there any actives out there that are the size of passives?

I tried a Tone Zone and I was surprised that I actually liked certain things about it.. high notes sound meatier, but the low end is kind of loose, even on standard tuning. It would be nice if it was just a bit tighter .

Fat pickups with a decent percussive, chug sound....Which ones will work for this guitar?

mguilherme87 likes this.
  2. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Black Winters.

lewis likes this.
  3. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

I would suggest the Air Norton, liquifire, or Gravity Storm in the neck and actually the Dimarzio AT-1 pickup in the bridge. It's similar to the Tone Zone but a bit more focused. A tighter low end, less fizziness, and a more balanced, articulate tone.

MatiasTolkki and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I'd try out a Dimarzio Dominion.

pecado likes this.
  5. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

The tone zone on my RG655 does not really feel fizzy in the high end or loose in the low end like I often hear. On mine, it is just thick, thick, thick and really fun to play with - especially for leads - while remaining above average with regards to tightness. Either it just happens to work in some RG's, or perhaps more likely, it is just really height sensitive. Trying playing around with the pick up height to see if you can get the sweet spot. I may be in the minority, but count me in the tone zone lover camp - at least in my RG.

If that does not work (and it might not work), I think the previously suggested Dominion is another good option that's likely to be tighter.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I have a Jackson DKMG that has always sounded a bit weak/thin with the wrong pickup and I've been through a ton of pickups with it.

While I do normally advocate for the Dominion in pretty much any situation, I don't think it would be much help adding low end chunk to the RG, especially if you only want a little more tightness relative to the Tone Zone. It does thick mids and percussive chugs for days, but it's not all that massive in the low end. I currently have a Breed in the bridge position of that DKMG and I'm happy with it so far. I had a Tone Zone in there a while back and the Breed is a nice middle ground between the Dominion and TZ as far as balancing low end tightness/articulation and midrange thickness. Super chunky, but not woofy. IIRC, the Dominion was based around the Breed, but with a ceramic magnet, more mids, and lower output.

If you still have the Tone Zone around, you might also try a ceramic magnet with it to tighten up some of the low end boom. Pretty sure that's what Dimarzio was going for with the F2 pickup that came in an RG770 I had for a while :2c:

Strobe and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  7. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I agree. Leads sound great. The low end isn't like a super loose sludgy low end, it's actually decently tight for having so much bass.. if it were slightly tighter and slightly brighter it would be pretty nice. Maybe I should try raising the pole pieces a little and adjusting the height a little more..

Has anyone tried the Super 3?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Ironbird666 and Strobe like this.
  8. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

We have a winter...I mean winner.

mguilherme87 and The906 like this.
  9. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

I will always stand by the AT1. It's not as high output as a lot of pups, but it's full, tight, and can do basically anything except brvtal Kvlt metal. It's my favorite dimarzio pup.

mguilherme87 likes this.
  10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

wolfetones fenris
    Bgbucker smokestack

11. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

100% agreed!

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Ive been told the AT1 combines the best qualities of the Tone Zone and JB. Seems perfect for fattening up without muddying anything.

Strobe, mguilherme87 and MatiasTolkki like this.
  13. MatiasTolkki

It also has amazing harmonics. I had one before but i sold that guitar with it in there so I dont have it now. Need a new one for my RG5000.

mguilherme87 likes this.
  14. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Duncan Pegasus?

If you're going for a super tight aggressive sound it would need a little boost, but for other heavier tones it works well. It should take a boost better than a Tone Zone because of the mid scoop. Great clarity and string seperation.

mguilherme87 and Zoobiedood like this.
  15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The AT-1 really IS a great bridge pickup - thick, warm, plenty of harmonic overtones on tap. I think it's better for vocal lead playing than punishing rhythm playing, but that in a nutshell is the tradeoff between "fat" and "tight," and you're not necessarily going to get a single guitar to do both.

Also worth a try - I'm not sure how low your action is, but if it's "as low as I can get it without choking," then raising your action a hair should help notes bloom better.

The Tone Zone is a great choice for a fatter, chunkier rhythm guitar sound in basswood that also does leads well. I haven't tried an AT1 in a RG (I had one in a Strat for ages), but come to think of it it'd probably sound great in my 3120 that currently has a (stock) TZ, so maybe I should snag one and give it a try in there.

mguilherme87 likes this.
  16. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

If you still have the TZ, you could try changing the slotted screws for hex heads - https://www.mcmaster.com/91251a130

I've tried it in the past and it seems to make it more articulate, of course, IMHO, YMMV, etc...

FWIW, the Super 3 is a fun pickup to play and is very tight in the lows and rolled off highs but still plenty of harmonics, you would probably like it.

My other suggestion would be a Super Distortion.

USMarine75 likes this.
  17. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

This is SSO so black winters or sentient/pegasus. Doesnt matter what style you play. I use them in my Otis Rush cover band in my 1956 Gibson Melody Maker and they're fuckin brutal, dog. There was only one pickup route so I stacked them.

18. MatiasTolkki

:lol: :lol: :lol:

USMarine75 likes this.
  19. MatiasTolkki

Andy Timmons uses his neck cruiser more than the AT1 actually. That said, you can get some really good rhythm tones from the AT1, provided you aren't trying to djent your way through life. The AT1 personifies everything about my perfect pickup.

mguilherme87 likes this.
  20. protest

protest SS.org Regular

This needs to be an Xzibit meme.

USMarine75 likes this.