Fanned Fret info?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Masadar, May 13, 2009.

1. Masadar

Masadar SS.org Regular

Well ive been told by a few ppl i know on here that they absolutley LOVE having a faned fretboard. Now i'm seriously considering it as an option on a custom i want to get made.......problem is in my shity small town there is no way in HELL ill ever be able to try one before i get it made but as it currently stands when i play guitar it doesn't feel "natural" to me and ive been told that a fanned fretboard would probably cure my blues....What do you all think?

I know its a dumb question but is there anything i can try at home that would give me even just a super basic feel as to what it would feel like?

THANKS FOR READING!!!!

MerlinTKD and dpm like this.
  2. Pursuit

Pursuit Pursuit Youth

I remember a thread I saw over on Jemsite a long time back regarding fanned frets.

Who Here Uses Fanned Frets? - Jemsite

The reception was "interesting" :D.

I actually made a post on the second page. I think if you see it you'll gather that I personally don't like the looks of them.

But playability is most important. I however, have never played them.

If you haven't played them, I'd just use straight frets and not take such a risk.

3. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Hm, not really. There aren't any (AFAIK) production multiscale guitars available...

4. Masadar

Masadar SS.org Regular

Lol i was thinking of maybe geting a skinny pice of wood and Drawing the frets on it and curving the back just so i can get a feel of what its like.....that idea came to me in a dream hahahaha

5. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

Dingwall basses have fanned frets if you have anywhere around you that might have those.

I used to be near a place that carried a few so.

6. Masadar

Masadar SS.org Regular

I WISH!! my buddy Crucified has a dingwall with fanned frets but alas he lives 4 hours away over Mountains and thru Rivers.:metal:

7. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

try to describe what doesn't feel "natural"... I might be able to give you some idea of whether or not f'd frets will help

8. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD ERG Drummer! Contributor

I have a body that I eventually hope to have a custom neck built for, and I've been seriously considering fanned frets, mainly for the increase in string length and tension on the lower strings. I've been thinking 27" or 28" on the low end to 25" on the high, myself.

Folks who've played them and like them claim it follows the natural angle of the hand more... it does make sense for the low string frets to lean toward the bridge as you go up the neck, but I've always wondered about the nut end...

Actually, I just tried it on my guitar... if you tuck your elbow, my hand naturally leans the way the frets lean on a fanned neck, down towards the nut, and can easily rotate the other way as I move up. Try it, it's very interesting... it could potentially relieve a lot of wrist stress I get, I think.

That alone has convinced me to do the fanned fret neck for my next guitar. :yesway:

9. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

You're on the right track :yesway:
    Instead of drawing the frets on by hand just use this website FretFind 2-D and print out a fretboard and tape it onto wood or cardboard.

10. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

Can those images be printed to actual fretboard size easily? Im thinking about building a guitar just so I can have one with fanned frets. I think that would be one of the hardest part, other than making the neck all together, understanding how to measure where the frets should be...especially with fanned frets.

11. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

Yes I've printed out fretboard diagrams and measured them with my digital callipers and they've been exactly to scale.
    Actually measuring the fanned-frets is just as easy as straight frets, its just that you have to do it twice: once for your highest string and again for your lowest string. The other strings fall into place.

12. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

Wow awesome... I thought you might be able to do it like that , but then again I thought it might be more to it than that. Thanks...maybe when I get some extra $$ i'll build fanned guit to fiddle with. :D