Fanned fret 8 string question

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by UniverseOfTheMind8, Jun 30, 2016.

1. UniverseOfTheMind8

UniverseOfTheMind8 SS.org Regular

So i'm going to be getting myself a new 8 string very soon. So far i've loosely decided on the Ibanez RGIF 8, my question is is there any other guitars in production right now close to that price range that would be a better choice than the RGIF? Also, one thing I don't understand is why they put 909x's in it instead of 808x's? Was hoping to be able to use passive pickups, although i'm ok with active's as long as they're decent. What are my pickup options if I don't end up liking the EMG's though?

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Lace X bars and Death Bars :)
    It's because angled 8 pickups are no longer long enough, so they use 9s.
    Sorry, no guitar suggestions

3. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

The pickups: since they have to be angled, the 909s being wider fit better as they are under all strings all the time. An 808 would be too short. The RGIF7 has 808Xs for that same reason. If you don't like the EMGs your options are either to get Lace pickups (X-Bar or Deathbar 4.5) or have something custom made.

There aren't many production fan fretted guitars, and even less in that price range. Legator and Agile could be options. You can also be one of the first, at least in SSO, to get the new Jackson FF8 Soloist.

EDIT: dammit Tom, you stole my thunder :lol:

4. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

There has only been one NGD so far, but the Ormsby HypeGTR 8s are looking good. Not sure how they compare price wise, but I imagine they'll be in the same ballpark. The passive pickups seem to be getting pretty good reviews and the standard of QC looks to be a little more impressive than the Iron Label stuff.

5. johnpyeatt13

johnpyeatt13 SS.org Regular

You can get this Legator for $650 and you can get any custom set of pickups for it. I recommend Prima. He is a great guy and he can make any pickup you'd want. They are around $200 so you'd still be much under the RGIF Fanned Fret 8 for $1200.

Attached Files:

6. UniverseOfTheMind8

Those Ormsby's actually look really badass. the ff 8's they have ready to sell right now are about $1400. Definitely not a bad price. Really not sure if I should get onr of those or stick with the RGIF, wish I had a way to try them out haha

7. UniverseOfTheMind8

That Legator is a beauty

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

For what it's worth I've heard nothing but good things about the Ormsby fanned fret guitars. I kind of wish I'd bought a Goliath headless instead of my Strandberg :/

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The Jackson FF8 looks like it has much better spec's, but it isn't out yet, so no one knows how quality will be. I've never been disappointed in a Jackson I've picked up, but this would be something quite different for them. Plus, you said "very soon," which probably excludes guitars that are not in stores yet.

For pickups, you can get stuff custom made, but it's a bit sketchy, since there'd be little chance of returning it or even reselling if you don't like it. For example, if you had someone custom make a BKP nailbomb with pole pieces spaced and angled just so, and you didn't like it, you would need to find a potential buyer who also had the Ibanez RGIF8 and wanted that pickup. Even if you go with a production pickup for a nine string, your resale market would be limited to people with multiscale 8's and standard 9's.

10. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

Jump on the Ormsby GTR fb group and ask if there's anyone nearby who'd let you check theirs out, maybe? It seems like a pretty friendly group and if someone won't let you play their guitar, they probably won't reply anyway!

I have a ff7 coming to me in a few months, and I'm super excited for it (have owned two 8 strings before but never a 7). Reviews are overwhelmingly positive so far.

Someone here just got a bright yellow one that looks absolutely freaking amazing (not that the cherry burst one doesn't either). Whoever that was said they would do a NGD post once they'd played it a bit more.

The Iron Label stuff can be great, but make sure you can get your hands on it first - or buy from somewhere with a good return policy. Some of them are legitimately great and some are turds. I saw one a while back that looked like the binding had been scraped back with a garden rake. It had some horrid fret ends too. If you can make sure you get a good Iron Label, you should be getting good value for money though. :yesway:

11. UniverseOfTheMind8

Awesome, thankyou for the advice. I think what i'll do is see if I can find an Ormsby in my area to check out like you stated and then i'll buy an RGIF from a place with a return policy to try it out ten decide which one I like more. Never really thought about the return policy thing, thankyou. Do you know if Ormsby has a return policy?

12. johnpyeatt13

johnpyeatt13 SS.org Regular

The thing with custom pickups is to talk to a private pickup maker like Benson or Prima. Then you can just tell them what type of tone you are looking for so there isn't too much of a hassle.