Facebook Messenger as my SMS application?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by vilk, Jul 6, 2016.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I've got a BLU Vivo XL with the most up to date android OS running

I noticed that when I try to send pictures via text message it greatly reduces their quality. I used to just put up with it, when one day I realized
    Facebook messenger sends original quality! Or at least better quality than my SMS. So I use Facebook messenger to send pictures mostly. Maybe a FB message to someone I don't normally text.

But the other day, when I open fb messenger, it's like "want to make this your default SMS messenger?"

My knee-jerk reaction is NO. Because I don't like fb and I barely use it. I have the messenger to talk to my wife when she was visiting Japan. I actually pine for when when "fb messenger" was only built into facebook and was not a separate thing.

But I found myself thinking: Well, I do use the fb messenger for pictures anyway. And my built in SMS message app isn't anything to write home about.

So now FB messenger is my sole texting application. Just curious if anyone else did this? What do you think? For me, I figure, so long as I have this dumb thing on my phone taking up space/running in the background, might as well make it work for me. And as I said, it is better for sending pics.

2. kootenay

kootenay SS.org Regular

I did it as well since my wife can never make up her mind where she is going to send me a msg from. Now I only have to keep track of one.