EZMIX // EZDRUMMER // You CAN get killer sound with the EZ Suite. I Think?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by jinxist, Dec 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jinxist

jinxist SS.org Regular

So I just made the transition to Logic X Pro from years of just using GarageBand. I have to say, it's been quiet the learning curve. I loved the ease of GB, but after using logic, it's hard to go back due to its limitations. That said, I started learning about Busing and Limiting, sending my drums out in 16 channels (Superior). I found that my mac couldn't handle the CPU Load...After becoming frustrated I decided to create a "bare bones" template I could use for tracking before adding that "shine" to the mix (and than mastering). So I loaded up EZDrummer and messed around with it. Man was I surprised. So then I thought...Well why not try out EZMix...MAN. That thing is awesome. I can see how people may not like how limiting it is (with only two control knobs, and no way to create your own stuff)...but DAMN does it have some cool stuff going on.

So I played around with my mix. Added some FabFilter stuff (new toys I also picked up), and ended up with a nice punchy mix. I came to the conclusion that the new mix is better than my old one, simply because my old mixes were SQUASHED to pieces (Literally everything was up on bust, and I just compressed the .... out of it). I had no control over the mix like I do now.

I was pretty satisfied with the mix, then I discovered that EZMix has a bunch of mastering presets and bus presets.....BAM, even better.

TLDR; I made a new mix with the EZ suite and I like it a lot...I THINK it might be better than my old mix, but I would like some input on what you all think.

ALSO: This is my first recording using my new Ibanez RGIX 8 string :D

Enjoy! :shred:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jinxist/dream-injected[/SC]

2. jinxist

jinxist SS.org Regular

3. Alekke

Alekke Octopus Djentalis

Sounds good! To me EZ sounds equally good if not better than some more popular tools out there. If executed right of course.

Now I'm gonna be an ass and post my own stuff, but this is recorded with EZ drummer Metal Machine and 50% EzMix guitar amp, 50% real amp.
    The mix was more towards the "natural feel"

4. jinxist

jinxist SS.org Regular

Crazy dude. What EZMix settings are you using there? You must be using other plugins besides? Maybe a Guitar Bus?

5. Alekke

Alekke Octopus Djentalis

It's a 50% Koloss preset and 50% miced Randall Thrasher, both processed in the mix with high/lo pass filters, multiband compressor and standard stuff, don't know really, I didn't do the mix, I just recorded it.

6. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

I just went from an overly tweaked and EQ'd SD2.0 kit to a stock EZdrummer 2 kit and was floored by how well it fit my mix better than SD2.0, same with EZmix 2.

7. jinxist

jinxist SS.org Regular

Yeah, I think that because of the popularity of SD2.0 people automatically think that the quality of EZ suite is lesser. I think it all depends on application, and to be quite honest, I believe the EZ suite is probably best suited for the majority of us out there. Easy to use, light weight, "one click" kinda great sounds. Sure, I use Superior myself for mixes, and I've dabbled in the multi out stuff...But right now in my best mix, I'm literally using EZ kits, its just ran through SD2 (cause I dunno why...lol)

I was going to buy Positive Grid...But I think that I'm probably still okay sticking with my POD Farm 2.0 and EZ!