Extra high string experiment

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Metal Ken, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

So i wanted to play along to some new school testament songs, which tune to C# Standard... i had a really light guage on my Schecter from messing around with a set of strings that had equal tension on all strings, (so it was really light) so i tuned the thing from C# with a high F#.. And.. You know.. Its really freaking fun. The chords sound really cool with the extra high note.. i think i'm gonna lighten up everything a few notches and try to tune D with a high G... right now, the 9 guage is the F#.. i'm ASSUMING (havent calculated yet) that i'd be able to take an 8 up to G.. i'm actually kinda stoked about the whole thing. its SO disorienting with everything being shifted down by a string... but i'm getting the hang of it.. Arpeggio shapes are new and different lol

2. Hawksmoor

Hawksmoor Wannabe Shredder

Beware of string breaks, G is quite high a pitch even for .08

3. Ibanez_fanboy

Ibanez_fanboy I want a 1527!!

yeah, the high g on a 12 string is usually first to break

4. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

Dude, I used to play a lot of F# tuning with my Steinberger TransTrem. Fun!

Now if only they made a 7-string so I could go down to C#...........

Oh yeah, and it was a calibrated 0.009 string on that F#.

5. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Good luck. :) I'd stick with the C# though, since I'm starting to love that tuning.

6. Metal Ken

well, i dont think that 8 would be a problem for G.. i mean, i've got the 9 on F#, and the schecter's a 26.5" Scale. .i've done some bends on it and whatnot, and its staying put just fine. I'm probably gonna take a whirl at messing around with the string tension calculator and see if i can't come up with a decent set of strings...

Edit: Anyone know where to get 7 guages? According to some calculations, that would put about exactly the tension i want on there... but i cant seem to find them on just strings..

7. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Ken, I used .007s on my 9 string. I might still have one or 2 around. If not, I had the music store back home order a bunch in for me. I'm sure they still have some.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I honestly never had any problem with a high g with either .008" or .009"

It's the high a that gives issues. Keep in mind, a pedal steel guitar has a slightly longer scale (~26"), and uses a .010" or .011" for g#. It's pretty damn tight, but it won't break too much.

Say nay if you will...I say yay.

9. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

I've had luck with a .008 tuned high A..

10. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

That tuning sounds sweet, Ken. I used to try so many different tunings on my six-strings, but, due to the tremolo on my seven, I've only played in standard and drop-A. I'd like to try a lot of other tunings, though.

11. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

A 7-string Steinberger, you say? I'm with you there. Literally, that would be a dream come true for me. ;)

12. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

I want to tune my 6 string from A2 to A4 and use it for leads, I tried a .007 from D'Addario from juststrings.com and it didn't even tune to G4 before it broke, if anyone has any success tuning to A4 on a 25.5" scale, please tell me the gauge and the brand strings you used, so that I can get them and try them! I'm really interested in Garry Goodman's strings he's developing, an A4 string that I could bend just like any other string would be great!! But as I heard he hasn't implemented ball ends on them yet, which makes it no use to me seeing that I don't have a special clamp system he has, lol. Garry if you're reading this, please let me know as soon as you come out with an A4 string with a ball end that you can sell to me.

Side question: Shannon, who is that girl in your avatar? (Keep in mind I don't watch TV at all really so I don't know who is who a lot of times, lol) She's pretty nice, you got good taste! :yesway:

13. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

Is this freeware? It's probably for Windows, huh?

14. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It's a pretty simple formula if you know the density, scale length, frequency of fundamental and gauge. No need for it to cost money.

16. Metal Ken

Yeah, try blocking your trem and giving a shot, if you got light enough strings, its really fun. Kinda confusing, but fun...

Seph - That was on a 25.5" Scale, right? the schecter is a 26.5".. so its got about .5lbs more tension on there. I think i'd need at least an 8 for a high G, and then a set of 10's below that...

EverDream - thats the one i use. Freaking useful, that thing is.

I was thinking a 7 would be ideal if i can find one, since i calculated the tensions to be something along the lines of:

So a 007 guage would actually work out REALLY well, i think.

17. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

Cool. Thanks!

Too bad everyone doesn't think that way, but I'm glad that there's a few. :yesway:

18. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

We can always hope... stranger things have happened.

19. ts73

ts73 SS.org Regular

Look up Guitar X in Denver and give them a call. Last time I've been there they had D'Addario .007s.

20. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman 8-0ctaves

I repeat information because some of it gets lost in translation.I'm sorry everyone,but an .008 and .007 in general will Not tune to an A440hz on the 25" guitar scale. My .007's will tune to A flat 4 at 30",but they are so rigid that you could slice cheese with them.

The kind of strings I wanted are flexible,and even bendable. I 've spent several years developing a string that can be tuned to G4 or A flat 4 at the 32" bass scale.It would be impossible to have a 12-string bass without this high string .All the formulas mean nothing when they don't work. Shortening scale length is a last resort to get a string to go higher,and that doesn't help that much. I applaud JP for making a 12-string bass for Jean Baudin.For me fanning from 35" down to 29" is not a happy thing.The fan becomes a little to extreme for my taste. The .006 they used tunes to A flat 4,but I know from my own 10 types of .006 wire ,at 29", we're slicing cheese.
    I have a very funtional A4 string. Currently ,I am having some guys "beta" test it. Right now,there is no bending up 3 whole steps with a high string at 25".The guitar scale would have to be around 19-20" to do that.
    How do I know all this? From doing it everyday for two years.
    So if anyone is interested in trying a couple of these strings ,send me a PM.