Extended range strings

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by neuk01642, Sep 27, 2017.

1. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

Hey people.

I've just had some work done on one of my 8 strings and while restringing with my preferred set (NYXL 10 -74) the luthier alerted me to the fact that the F# wasn't long enough for my 30" scale length...
    Checked with D'darrio and sure enough they only go up to 27"
    Bass strings I thought... but no, the ball ends are too big and the core too thick to go through the machine heads.

So the question is, who does 8 string string sets (or individuals) for 30" scale length guitars?
    Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated (and if it doesn't involve getting them custom made or shipped from the moon, all the better).

Thanks in advance

Matt

2. j3ps3

j3ps3 SS.org Regular

I've used D'addario's EXL nickel wound strings with my Ibanez M80M, which has a 29.4" scale.

3. PBC

PBC Composition Ontology

NXYLs don't have quite the breadth of their regular XL Nickels in terms of options. When I needed a quick fix for strings on my 30" I bought the D'Addario baritone and Bass VI sets to use on a couple strings (terribly inefficient). They work though, I believe the Baritone and Bass IV is just name only because the strings are the same length. You should be able to get some singles.

Other ones are La Bella which can create almost any scale up to .120 gauge for guitar, but I don't know the international shipping cost, and as you know Kalium are expensive to ship overseas.

4. Deprave

Deprave SS.org Regular

I've tried some different sets and the best one was La Bella HRG which i got with guitar from previous owner. no problems with scales, long life and perfect tension. i also tried 9string set of ernie ball and it was terrible, its definitely not for 30''. btw, their custom single strings (i ordered .90 and .74) fit perfectly, but strings are really short-life

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

La Bella make the best ERG strings imo. Kalium are rounder and not as clear sounding ime. Ernie ball 8 string sets suck, though I do use their 6 string sets a lot.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I feel your pain. Back in the 20th Century, most stores were willing to take a string out of the pack to see if it'd fit. Now that there are no stores anymore, you have to order everything in the mail, and return shipping costs more than the string anyway, so you have to sort of limit your options to what has the best information available online, or stick with whatever came on the guitar.

My long scale guitars all came with LaBella strings, and Kallium has the most information online. I love D'Addario, but their string are just too short sometimes, so I use them where I can and I don't whenever they're too short. Unfortunately those are the only two options I know of until someone makes a machine that magically makes strings longer.

DancingCloseToU likes this.
  7. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD ERG Drummer! Contributor

Yeah, it's weird (though understandable guess) that so many companies make 8-string sets, but none of the mainstream companies make them any longer than standard. I can put D'addario NYXL's on my 28.625 scale, but with the reverse headstock, the low string barely makes a full turn around the post at F#, not even that at E. Kalium strings (the standard size) were better, length-wise, but not by a lot.

I think the big problem for a lot of long scale guitars and strings is the inline headstock, reverse or not. All the Ibanez's have 4x4 (IIRC), so the longest nut to post span is on the A/D strings; the Stef Carpenter ESP's are inline, but they're only 27" scale, and the longest span is on the high E, so no windings to deal with.

Normal D'addario's should fit a 4x4 30" like the M8/M80, but no way on an inline. The longer Kaliums should be fine for that though!