Extended range strings

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by neuk01642, Sep 27, 2017.

1. neuk01642

neuk01642 SS.org Regular

Hey people.

I've just had some work done on one of my 8 strings and while restringing with my preferred set (NYXL 10 -74) the luthier alerted me to the fact that the F# wasn't long enough for my 30" scale length...
    Checked with D'darrio and sure enough they only go up to 27"
    Bass strings I thought... but no, the ball ends are too big and the core too thick to go through the machine heads.

So the question is, who does 8 string string sets (or individuals) for 30" scale length guitars?
    Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated (and if it doesn't involve getting them custom made or shipped from the moon, all the better).

Thanks in advance

Matt

2. j3ps3

j3ps3 SS.org Regular

I've used D'addario's EXL nickel wound strings with my Ibanez M80M, which has a 29.4" scale.

3. PBC

PBC Composition Ontology

NXYLs don't have quite the breadth of their regular XL Nickels in terms of options. When I needed a quick fix for strings on my 30" I bought the D'Addario baritone and Bass VI sets to use on a couple strings (terribly inefficient). They work though, I believe the Baritone and Bass IV is just name only because the strings are the same length. You should be able to get some singles.

Other ones are La Bella which can create almost any scale up to .120 gauge for guitar, but I don't know the international shipping cost, and as you know Kalium are expensive to ship overseas.