Explosions at Boston Marathon

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by synrgy, Apr 15, 2013.

1. mcd

mcd stuff and thangs

Iraq was invaded for oil, greed, and Bush Jr wanted revenge.

The definition of WMD is broad and sweeping, I won't disagree with that.

Now on to the Boston bombing. With the current definition of WMD I can see how maybe they would charge them with, attempted use of WMD. They just didn't know enough on how to get bang for buck.

I am ex-military I have 4 tours with marine infantry. Every time I called in mortars or artillery was to save the men I served with lives. I don't care why the war was started, I cared about those I was responsible for. I myself have become a WMD under fire and don't really understand what your trying to state/prove in your recent post. Please explain exactly what you are trying to get across when you make this statement.

2. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

I think the very word itself should reveal what it's about: MASS destruction. The damage done to buildings and infrastructure are very minor. "only" 3 people were killed. Large number of injuries though, with 180 people, but even then that's not very high compared to what is insinuated with "mass destruction". Even if you add the police officer they killed.

It's simply just the wrong term for the explosives they used.

3. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

I won't disagree with you. However Iraqi WMDs were what sold the invasion politically so it is very relevant if we are talking definitions.

Well, it is broad, but I would challenge that a device like the Boston ones falls under any useful definition of a WMD.

If they managed to fill a cooker with C4 it would be a bomb, yes, not a WMD. So when the IRA (a one-time favourite of certain Bostonians via NorAid, ironically) were using 1 tonne fertilizer bombs in London and Manchester in the 1990s then these were WMDs? Far nastier then Boston's...

You missed my point.

A WMD is not a WMD by how it is used, it is a type of weapon... a classification of amount of damage that a weapon can do, more like. I am not knocking any experience that you've had (like I am not minimising the damage that actually was done in Boston), but you have not been under WMD fire in Iraq. No gas? No biological? No nuclear/radioactive? Then by traditional definition, no WMD.

The FBI have defined a small can of low velocity explosive (it wasn't HE afaik) and metal as a WMD.

If we now say that this is a valid definition of a WMD - remember, it is a classification not a usage issue - then anything that causes more damage you must consider to be in the same class. Which, as I tried to list, puts most of what the military uses that goes "bang" in the same class.

Do you see what my problem with creeping definition is now? If the US legal system declares that a small device like this is a WMD then we all use them. Bullshit, in other words, it destroys any meaning of scale. Is a pipebomb a WMD?

You see where I'm coming from?

EDIT: and more to the point, consider the thinking behind this decision. The charge literally makes literally no sense by any traditional definition. Why would it be pressed? Political? So that a death sentence could be requested? All of which implies interference with the judicial process. Keep an eye on it.

EDIT 2: I'm not a conspiracy nut, btw, 9/11 truthers & all that sort of stuff is bollocks.... I don't think that you can call this a conspiracy but people with agendas tend to jump on events like the bombing, and this may have lasting effects.

4. chimp_spanner

chimp_spanner I am a meat popsicle

I thought it was a weird definition too, yeah. Charging the guy with murdering three people with a bomb would've been plenty serious enough. Whether or not it was a "WMD" would have no bearing on the matter, surely? The only thing it does is re-introduce the term into our collective psyche. In case we all forgot we should be afraid of WMD's.

In any case it's really sad, the whole thing. There's also something unsettling about the extent to which a man can change after a few short visits to a radicalized Islamic country. Makes you wonder if they're well versed in hypnosis and/or brain washing...like Derren Brown stuff. I like to think I'd be strong enough to resist that stuff (and maybe having a deeply skeptical outlook on life is a good starting point) but then by all accounts these guys were pretty normal to begin with. Scary stuff.

5. dcoughlin1

dcoughlin1 SS.org Regular

Weren't the pressure cookers filled with ball bearings or nails? If that's the case wouldn't they essentially be a claymore?

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I think reports said they were filed with ball bearings, BBs, nails, and metal shrapnel.

7. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

I hope you don't think that's what I'm trying to say.

I have my doubts regarding the official statements, but I don't think it was set up by the government. I think they might have dropped the ball in preventing it, possibly, but I sure as shit don't think this is a false flag set up by the FBI to push a political agenda.

I tried to make that pretty clear earlier.

My heart absolutely goes out to the victims and families affected, but there are still a lot of unanswered questions...and unfortunately I feel that will be the way things go. If someone questions the events, it becomes a 'conspiracy'.

8. JPMike

JPMike Totally Random

Now Chechens kidnapped our Greek Orthodox Bishop in Syria.

"DAMASCUS: The kidnappers of two Orthodox bishops seized in northern Syria are Chechen fighters, sources in the Syriac and Greek Orthodox dioceses in Aleppo said on Tuesday.

"The news which we have received is that an armed group... (of) Chechens stopped the car and kidnapped the two bishops while the driver was killed," an official from the Syriac Orthodox diocese who declined to be named said in a statement posted online.

Bishop Yohanna Ibrahim, head of Aleppo's Syriac Orthodox diocese and Boulos Yaziji, head of the Greek Orthodox diocese in the same city, were kidnapped on Monday near the Turkish border, the statement said.

Syrian state news agency SANA had reported the kidnapping on Monday night, saying an "armed terrorist group" kidnapped the men in the village of Kafr Dael in Aleppo province.

A source in the Greek Orthodox diocese, speaking to AFP on condition of anonymity, said Ibrahim "was on a humanitarian mission to free two priests kidnapped two months ago."

Ibrahim was known for his role in mediating the release of kidnap victims, particularly in cases involving the snatching of Christians, the source said.

He was returning from an area along the Turkish border, where he had picked up Yaziji, when an armed group stopped their car in Kafr Dael, he added.

The kidnappers forced the driver and another person out of the car, he added, saying the driver was subsequently shot in the head.

"According to this person, the kidnappers spoke classical Arabic and appeared to be foreigners. They told them that they were Chechen jihadists," the source said.

In the statement, the Syriac Orthodox official said there had not been any contact with the kidnappers so far.

"We are working and doing our best for the release of the two bishops and (their) return," he said.

Syria's religious affairs ministry (Waqf), meanwhile, issued a statement on Tuesday saying "there is evidence that those who kidnapped the bishops were Chechen mercenaries working under the leadership of Al-Nusra Front."

Al-Nusra, a jihadist group fighting alongside Syrian rebels, has pledged allegiance to Al-Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri.

Christians account for around five percent of Syria's population, and have become increasingly vulnerable to attack and kidnappings in the lawlessness that has engulfed much of the country since March 2011

Read more: Syrian bishops in hands of 'Chechens': church sources | News , Middle East | THE DAILY STAR
    (The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)"

9. Captain_Awesome

Captain_Awesome Cloudwalker

Some of you may stongly disagree, but when the question in the news was "Why?" and it cut to footage of people chanting "USA! USA!" after his capture, I felt as if that was the answer. There's no justification for his actions, but it seems that the average American needs to gain a broader understanding of world events. This wasn't a victory for anyone, it's just sad.

10. Overtone

Overtone SS.org Regular

The world is in a sad place indeed... it's long overdue for people to try to focus on using their blessed circumstances and abilities to try and make things better for everybody. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind...

I saw that there was a pretty massive marathon in the UK with a lot of tribute paid to Boston. Was that an impromptu event or was there something already scheduled? They briefly showed it on TV here. A lot more attention could have been paid to outpouring of support (domestically and internationally) instead of the ridiculous way they followed the story.

11. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

There are enough rational, valid charges that they could easily seek the most severe penalties without stretching definitions. At the very least his sentences would be stacked so high he'd be dead before he were released. Maybe it was an attempt to get him sent to Guantanamo or something?

12. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Has anyone seen the page going around about the "Boston Truth Revealed"?

It's interesting and raises questions, but some of it seems like a stretch as well.

13. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

It's a stretch - A message from Boston to ss.org

Sorry it's just bothering me, go back a page if you want to hear my side.

14. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

Snopes is on it as usually, warning though, this link contains the same gory photograph that was warned about earlier in this thread!

Snopes: Uninjured

15. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Like I said about the 'fed' photo earlier the same crap happening there as well. People really like misleading others.

16. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

This is what gets me. The whole "OMG ITS TERRORISM AGAIN )/11 NEVA FORGET!" thing is just scratching the wound.

17. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

The best "fuck off" to people who do this shit is to go back to normal and not let it change your day to day habits.

(Again, not minimising the harm to the victims - going back to London tube bombings a mate's brother was in the carriage next to one of the bombs. He wasn't hurt but was a bit messed up for a while. Otherwise the general consensus of most daily commuters towards the bombers was "fuck those idiots, business as ususal")

18. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

19. User Name

User Name Banned

why would you neg rep me dude there was no joke to spot.

[​IMG]

20. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

:wavey: