Experiment: Fixed Bedroom Attenuator

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Petar Bogdanov, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

I had this idea for a while and I finally put it in a box. Had it built for a while, but it didn't feel safe, without a box. :lol: I'm using it with an Ironheart Studio, and it eliminated all the noise from the clean channel, makes it crankable, and warms up the gain tones.

It sounds better than the built-in attenuator in the 6505MH, could be the schematic, the amp, or just the quality of resistors used... These are a mix of ceramic Visatons and some metal oxides.

The schematic is a simple voltage divider with the amp seeing a 17 ohm load and the speaker wired between the last two ohms and ground. This divides the voltage by 8.5, which results in a volume reduction of 19dB. The amp has all of 150 milliwatts now. :lol:

Any impedance speaker cab can be used, and the amp will be safe. It barely gets warm.

In conclusion, if you've thought of building an attenuator, you probably should. With nice resistors. :lol:

Attached Files:

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

what are those mounted too?
    are you sure you have the open air versus heat sinked wattage ratings calculated correctly? you don't want that thing catching fire and exploding.

3. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

It barely gets warm, those resistors are 10 watts each, and the amp is 15 amps total. I'm not worried about fire. As you can see, it's wired as a cable with a giant box in the middle, so this isn't exactly its final form.

The resistors are zip-tied to a piece of cardboard. It's only supposed to be a bedroom attenuator, after all.

4. exo

exo SS.org Regular

#firehazardsoundsawesome

5. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

I'm really impressed and also very interested. However, knowing my luck I'm sure I'll do something wrong and blow up my room / amp / hair. Basically...I is scared.