Existentialism-Mindfuck/philosophical content.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Captain Shoggoth, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth SIGN YO REP

I'm a pretty relaxed person, but this puts in literal panic attack every time I ponder it. Hell, it's the reason I got out of bed at 3am to make this thread-I couldn't sleep.

I don't know what frightens me more-the notion of existing forever in some shape or form, for an infinite amount of time-or the notion of nonexistence, that when I die-or at some point after that-I'll cease to exist and everything will cease. I don't know if any of you guys think about this but I truly do find both ideas horrifying.

I'm incredibly jealous of religious people for their faith in an ordered system that essentially tells them that things will turn out okay and they will understand-I truly am-but as someone who can't believe in any religion, on the basis that I cannot fundamentally testify as to their veracity (truthfulness), I am left without such respite.

The scariest part is that by virtue of existing, by being here, I will face this someday. Everybody will. It's either one or the other.

Sorry for the long rant, but I had to get this off my chest. Does this bother anyone else?

2. Gothic Headhunter

Gothic Headhunter Born on a Monday

Cheer up, I'm sure you'll be ready for it when it happens. I've pondered this myself, and I found it best to just to cross that bridge when you come to it.

3. Origin

Origin Rainbow In The Dark

It's kept me up many nights, and I came to the conclusion that if I can't know, it's okay not to know. Make life good for yourself and others around you, and face what lies ahead of us (whatever the fuck it might be :lol:) with open eyes and arms. Sounds retarded, but it gets me through the day.
    The lack of a defined empirical purpose to life fills me with purpose by virtue of its own ambiguity; believing in and doing what you want, 'life is what you make it,' etc. Very wishy-washy but it's hard for me to put it in words since it all seems so redundant. Basically, we're all in the same boat, so even if you worry, don't worry too much. :)

4. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Even considering the afterlife, there is still a decent amount of mindfuckery involved. Let's say that you believe in heaven/hell- okay, you died and find yourself in heaven/hell... so, now what? That's supposed to be for eternity, too, what are you going to do with your time?

Perhaps one could propose that whatever afterlife would be, that the form you take there is one that is of a consciousness no longer aware of the passage of time... but that's kind of a mindfuck of its own because since time is a big part of our behavior and understanding of things.

Reincarnation? The "amnesia" at the onset every new incarnation would disrupt any continuity of consciousness- so it's not really your identity anymore, your ghost is simply being recycled, and again the mindfuck is the consideration of what "you" are in multiple types of lives.

5. Faine

Faine Playing guitar.

I would hope there was such thing as reincarnation honestly. But not have a memory of my previous life ( like remembering family friends whatever) but being able to see the development of the human race and technology, architecture, transportation systems, space development/civilizations. etc. I'd love to see the future. No one can ever pin point the exact moment where they were conscious of living as a baby. Before you knew it POOF you were alive. So who knows? Maybe we've already lived before. Don't think well ever know.

6. Nimgoble

Nimgoble Wound tight

I experience this sometimes, as well. I wasn't too bothered by my non-existence before my birth. I doubt I'll mind it very much when I die. It's the transition that worries me. I just try to remember that it's a part of life; An eventuality. It gets tough when you have a kid, though, and you find yourself loving something so much that the thought of eventually parting with it forever registers somewhere far beyond normal fear.

Were I to fantasize, I'd like for there to be an afterlife in which all of existence(and its history) is open to us for viewing. The ability to form our own universes/existences/whatever would be nice. An imagination sandbox. And the ability to interact with those of other entities.

7. Cyntex

Cyntex love & peace!

I find the idea of "living" forever in one way or form to be more terrifying then the idea of complete non-existance when I die. The idea of being non-existant is a bit more comforting to me. This life we already live in is a challenge enough imo.

I wouldnt want to reincarnate as a human tommorow should I die today, rather I just want to live long enough to have lived a decent and interesting life.

8. The Uncreator

The Uncreator Control The Sun

Eternity seems unpleasant, I would conquer every art form possible, from guitar, to painting, to master cinematography etc. I would have no vehicle to express myself other than the sheer perpetuation of my existence. The finite quality of life is what give it any meaning at all, the notion of eternity severely inhibits this to me.

In my head, when I die, my body rots. And much like energy and how it can only be transformed into another form, the molecules of skin are picked up by the air and cover the Earth, the soil devours my bones and organs. My brain is consumed by a great and magnificent planet floating in a near infinite and beautiful void called The Universe. In the most miniscule way I am now returning to where I came from. And even though death brings me this comfort, It also gives me the drive to enjoy the life I have as a human.

lava likes this.
  9. Nyx Erebos

Nyx Erebos SS.org Regular

WOW insane lyrics we have here :hbang:.

I questionned myself about death and non existence quite young and I have never changed my mind about it : I can't avoid the disappearing of my consciousness but I can bloom in living the way I want and at the end, cross the Acheron with the Hades for last destination.

Sorry I love greek mythology :lol:.

10. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

"If it's any consolation, I believe that when you die, you get to come back as anything you want. I'd be a butterfly!"

11. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

"I'll see you in another life." "When we are both cats."

The first time I realized what it is to die, I was 9 years old, sitting in a fishing boat out in the middle of Charleston lake in Ontario with my dad. It scared the shit out of me then, and it scares the shit out of me now. As the years have gone by, though, I've grown to accept it little by little.

12. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

I like to think that the idea of death and living forever is only a thought because we think we will. The incredible thing is that no one knows what happens when you die, and I doubt we ever will.

13. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

"Philip asked himself desperately what was the use of living at all. It all seemed inane. It was the same with Cronshaw: it was quite unimportant that he had lived; he was dead and forgotten, his book of poems sold in remainder by second-hand booksellers; his life seemed to have served nothing except to give a pushing journalist occasion to write an article in a review. And Philip cried out in his soul:

'What is the use of it?'

The effort was so incommensurate with the result. The bright hopes of youth had to be paid for at such a bitter price of disillusionment. Pain and disease and unhappiness weighed down the scale so heavily. What did it all mean? He thought of his own life, the high hopes with which he had entered upon it, the limitations which his body forced upon him, his friendlessness, and the lack of affection which had surrounded his youth. He did not know that he had ever done anything but what seemed best to do, and what a cropper he had come! Other men, with no more advantages than he, succeeded, and others again, with many more, failed. It seemed pure chance. The rain fell alike upon the just and upon the unjust, and for nothing was there a why and a wherefore."

- W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage

14. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

My favourite part of this discussion is; all the experts in this field are dead.

(^ you have to be to know anything useful)

So how do people prophet(!) from this?

(sorry, it was too obvious :rofl: any philosophical school could fit in here)

15. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I've been present at the deaths of quite a few family members, and have personally loaded at least three (immediate family) onto that tray which goes into the crematorium oven.

I have worked on two people in unsuccessful resuscitation attempts, although I've also worked on more which were successful.

I've also cleaned/dressed a few animals.

I'm wondering if existential anxiety comes about because one manages to avoid exposure to those things which often get hidden in modern society. When my friends don't like to think about where the meat in the supermarket comes from, there is an obvious disconnection, and death in many societies is hidden in the same way.

----

Funny. Both sides of my family traditionally have the males dying (of various causes) at a fairly young age, and the women living very long. This came up talking with friends, and they were horrified that I was actually planning on what to get done before I get to that age (a little over a decade from now). "You mean you really think you're likely to die at that point? How do you sleep at night?!" *laugh*

I'm not saying that I'd be happy to go, but it would the moment I have been preparing for my entire life.

16. lava

lava Gelatinous

Dude, don't worry about it. You're coming at this from way too human-centric a viewpoint. When you pass on to that next phase, it will feel as natural as any experience you've ever had, because it's totally natural! If you spend too much time worrying about this now, when you do feel yourself passing you'll say "shit! why did I waste so much time worrying about that when I could have been enjoying myself??"

17. lava

lava Gelatinous

Excellent post. You and I are on the same wavelength. Dying isn't a loss of life, it's just a change in form.

18. morrowcosom

morrowcosom SS.org Regular

If I really had to pick I would rather pass on into non-existence than become a toilet bowl.

Really though, do you plan on dying soon? You will never know what happens to you post-mortem until it does, and therefore you do not know if there is anything you can do about it (go to church, sacrifice virgins, go to mosque).

You could take a stab at being religious for insurance, but it seems it would be ineffective unless you really believe in it/or god is a cruel god that demands worship.

There is no reason to worry about your afterlife state if feel you REALLY cannot change it. It is going to happen regardless.

Maybe OT, but I have seen many ghosts (one I stared in the eyes) throughout my life, so maybe your soul could manifest that way, or
    maybe some bizarre natural phenomenon occurred at these times that affected my perception of reality.

19. engage757

engage757 Banned

The only thing that makes it challenging is the constant amount of bullshit we put into it. Move to a tiny little mountain town, get a cabin in the woods, and slow your life down. Take out all the bullshit. Just exist. Be in this moment. We can't change the past, and the future is not here, therefore, it is irrelevant. BE HERE. In this moment, take a breath, and enjoy. Center yourself and commune with nature around you and people around you. Don't be so concerned with an afterlife that you forget this one.

my two cents.

20. guitareben

guitareben SS.org Regular

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
    ― Mark Twain

Also, eternal life could well be one of the worst tortures ever invented... I mean, the first million years might be fun, but what about the million years after that, or the trillion years after that, or the eternity... ETERNITY, after that?

And some more Twain quotes :D :

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    ― Mark Twain