Excessive pick attack sounds...

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by PunkBillCarson, Dec 1, 2018.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Okay so recently, when I was trem picking, I noticed a clanky sound like metal hitting metal when I was strumming. I started doing single note passages and I could definitely hear string noise. I don't know if I never noticed it before or what, but it's worth mentioning that I have played through other amps with the same guitar and I don't get those sounds. I'm currently playing through a 6505+ with Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang. I've tried different picks, same thing. Any suggestions?

2. odibrom

odibrom .

That picking noise might be due to pick material being too strong and when you touch the string with the pick, it creates a note between the bridge pivot point and the pick contact point, captured by the BRIDGE pickup or bridge piezos, or any sound source between the pick and the bridge. I think it is called Ice Picking or something alike. I'm guessing this based on your description. This is also more noticeable with high gain and high volume, no matter what amp or guitar you're using (provided that it has a bridge pickup).

If that noise goes away by 80 to 90% using the neck pickup, you found the source.

Suggestions: use more legatos, learn how to choke/release the strings at the picking moment, be more mindful and pay more attention to the string attack, considering the time between the pick to string contact and release. this millisecond may be long enough to be heard with loud amplification (headphones included).

... or it can be something else escaping my mind at the moment...

3. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Chirp.

odibrom likes this.
  4. PunkBillCarson

Okay, so I went in and experimenting with a few minutes and maybe I'm just crazy, but my tortex picks are the ones that make the most noise and when I switched to my Jazz III's and Jim Dunlop Stubby, it was there, but not NEARLY apparent, especially after I started angling my pick a little differently. Switched back to tortex only to find that no matter how I angled the pick, it was there as much as ever, so I think I may have found the culprit, between technique and the type of picks used.

I also noticed that having a looser grip on the pick helped cut down the noise as well.

odibrom likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

pick material/shape and the angle you pick at are where like 98% of the noise/chirp comes from. I used to play with stone and glass picks and they were horribly chirpy if you weren't consistent with your pick angle. Same with some of the v-picks/gravity picks I had that were made of acrylic. Those were chirpy moreso because of the shape/thickness. Smaller edge bevels (or smoother transitions on edges) greatly reduces chirp overall ime.
    I tend to favor UHMPWE and other super thermoplastics as a pick material now because they mellow out the sound more than most other picks while offering wayyy better durability.

6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

curious

7. PunkBillCarson

Care to post some examples of the picks you're referring to?

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

winspear mini shiv (bloodline or stealth), blue chip jazz 60, iron age pugio, BHL ben eller wizard. I've used all of them for a good while besides the pugio (which I've only had for maybe a month) but the rest are all super durable.