EVH Stealth VS 50w

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by sevenfoxes, Feb 28, 2018.

1. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

Awesome! The 6l6 version? I hope you dig it! The Stealth has some serious balls, especially at louder volumes. It's definitely a tad darker too, which I really like!

It's interesting, the blue channel on the 50w was my favorite, but the red channel on the Stealth is my favorite. It's like they took everything I disliked about the red channel on the 50w, and completely improved it, whereas the blue channel on the Stealth doesn't seem to be as tight/smooth as it is on the 50w, but it feels thicker/bigger. I think that's the nature of 50w vs 100w amps in general though. My 50w recto was tighter than the 100w, but it lacked the notorious sag/bottom end that rectos are known for.

Btw, the hiss these amps make drive me bonkers! I don't care about the dirt channels being hissy (that's what gate pedals are for), but I can't stand the hiss on the green channel. Gate pedals don't work, because you can hear the hiss again as soon as you start playing. So as a quick tip, I use an MXR 10 band eq in the loop and turn the gain on the pedal all the way down. This seriously kills 90% of the hiss. Just throwing that out there. Also, the green/clean channel has an insane amount of gain. To get a true clean tone, keep the gain low, and turn up the volume. A 12AU7 in V1 also takes away quite a bit of the gain as well, but It also takes it away from all channels. Anyways, enough jabberin, enjoy the amp!

2. sevenfoxes

Gotta love marketing.

3. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Cheers dude. Yup the 6l6 version. How much looser is the blue channel on yours? I'd miss the tightness of my 50w i think, but if it's just a little bit i won't mind so much. There's no way i'll get rid of my 50w though so i need to keep telling myself i can still plug into that as well lol.

The 50w is so bright i run my treble at 10 O' clock sometimes, so darker sounds good to me.

What were the aspects of the 50w red channel you didn't like?

4. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I think when they initially released they were planning on it being a limited run... but they sold like hotcakes so they put them into full production. The only difference between the initial run and later amps were that IIRC the original had =C= 6L6 tubes, which were unavailable by the time subsequent amps were released.

The906 and sevenfoxes like this.
  5. sevenfoxes

Not by much at all, really. I'd say it's not even significantly noticeable. You're smart for hanging on to your 50w though, just in case you like it more. I really could'nt care less about my 50w at this point, and currently have it for sale. Btw, I hope midi isn't important to you, because the Stealth doesn't have it.

With the 50w red channel, I always felt like it wasn't 100% there. I felt like it needed more girth, punch, and aggression, which is exactly what the Stealth offers.

Werecow likes this.
  6. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

You're not alone on the treble setting. Right there with you.

7. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

My Stealth is here! :)

It sounds awesome so far. One strange characteristic i've noticed is that the presence controls barely do anything all the way from off to about 3 o' clock and then the last quarter of the dial does everything a normal presence control does. Not ideal but not a deal breaker. Is it the same with your amp?

8. sevenfoxes

Glad you like it! Mine is similar, though I can hear a difference starting at about noon, and on. Not sure why It's designed that way. Fortunately, It still has all the presence control you could ever want.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

My Peavey 5150II was like that. Must just be the design of the amp.

sevenfoxes likes this.
  10. sevenfoxes

Quick question. I noticed that my Stealth makes a click/popping sound whenever I turn it on. Does yours do the same?

11. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

No, mine doesn't do that. Is that with standby off?

12. sevenfoxes

It's with the standby on. I was told in another forum that it can be the sound that the amp makes right before the power tubes fail, which would be totally fine by me. The tubes are stock and the amp is 2 years old. I have no idea how long it was played before I bought it.

13. sevenfoxes

Turns out it was just the tubes

Deadpool_25 and The906 like this.
  14. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

:) Did you retube it yourself? I want to find out about biasing it myself at some point.

15. sevenfoxes

I did. Super easy. Just pop the front faceplate off, and all the tubes are accessable. Biasing couldn't be any easier either since the biasing point and trim pot are on the back.

Btw, how are you liking the Stealth compared to the 50w? I actually just sold my Stealth, and bought a new 50w, because I had to downsize. She will be sorley missed. I am looking forward to the 50w's clean channel again though.

16. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I've never biased an amp before. I don't own any equipment to do it either.
    I've read a few guides over the years but they all seem different, and never found a guide for any amps i've owned. I find it all a bit daunting the more i look into it, what with the quite heated disagreements i've read on forums about what equipment to use.

I still love the amp. I prefer the blue channel on my 50w though. The blue on the Stealth sounds more like a differently EQ'd red channel if that makes sense. On my 50w it feels like switching to a different amp. It has those chewier, hot-rodded Marshall type mids that sound a lot more like 80's thrash (which is what i use that channel for). I'll be keeping both amps.

17. sevenfoxes

It's incredibly easy to bias the Stealth since everything is on the back of the amp. The 50w is a little harder because you have to take the amp out to get to the trim pot. Still easy though. A lot of people like to tell horror stories of people dying from biasing their own amps, but If you use common sense, you'll be just fine. As far as the tools you need, you can buy a cheap multimeter from Amazon, and that's all the Stealth needs. For the 50w, I suggest using the multimeter a long with a bias probe. The multimeter will give you the reading, and you adjust the trim pot accordingly. It's pretty damn simple! I'm really oversimplifying the physics and math here, but for the most part, that's how it's done. There's a lot of videos on youtube that will walk you through it as well.

Yeah! Ths blue channel on the 50w is something else. I know a lot of guys who bought the amp just for that. While I do like the blue channel on the 50w more, I really like the red channel on the Stealth. It sounds so damn pissed off!

18. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I must be one of the few who barely uses the blue channel in my 5150III. I jump from green to red all the time. Blue sounds flat to me, less tight than my beloved red.

KailM likes this.
  19. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I'm with you there. I rarely use the blue channel. It's not that I dislike it, it's that the red channel unboosted with the gain at about 10 o'clock rips so hard...

I use the blue channel with a boost, and it sounds great, tight and all, but ultimately does nothing that my 6505 and 6505+ can't do. There's also the volume drop issue from blue to green, so I just set the EQ and gain to optimize the cleans and am perfectly happy running it as a two-channel amp. I run an MXR 10-band EQ in the loop though which could be why I like the red channel so much. With that pedal, the amp sounds orders of magnitude better than it does without.

I should spend more time with the blue channel though-- everyone raves about it but I just haven't found what the fuss is all about.

chopeth likes this.
  20. sevenfoxes

For me, the blue channel is a defined, smooth, and articulate version of the 6505. It's not as full or aggressive, but it's also not as sloppy. It's the sober equivalent, and I think the overall tone is just so much better. Iv'e heard a lot of people even call it the holy grail tone. That's all subjective though.

If you like the red channel on the 50w, you should definitely check out the Stealth!