EVH + Recto =?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by sevenfoxes, May 18, 2018.

1. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

I'm trying to find an amp that can pull off both of these tones (I play anything from surf rock to modern metal). I love the EVH for leads/solo work, but think it's just ok for rhythm. I love rectos for rhythm, but hate them for leads. Is there an amp that can do both really well? I need the amp to sound great at both bedroom and band volumes, and it can't sound fizzy (another reason i don't like the recto at bedroom levels). The amp also needs a great clean channel.

Also, I don't like dark, midrangey amps.

Budget is 2K.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

*Obligatory recommendation to go digital.*

StevenC, Vyn, Strobe and 5 others like this.
  3. sevenfoxes

What specifically do you recommend?

4. MaxOfMetal

Your budget could easily get the two high end options in the category, the AxeFx or Kemper. Choosing one over the other is going to come down to how much you use effects, how you plan on setting them up, and overall preference of use. There is no wrong choice. You can always do what I did and try both and keep the one you like.

For the record I have both an AxeFX2 and a Kemper lunchbox. I go through phases of using one or the other.

nZeeR likes this.
  5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Can I add the other obligatory recommendation for a Mesa Mark series? It can be dark, and it can be mid-range-y, but you can also dial them to not be those things. And they aren't fizzy by my standards.

6. sevenfoxes

What about the Axe 8?

7. sevenfoxes

That was actually one of my considerations! They are hard to dial though, yes?

8. MaxOfMetal

Another great option that will depend on what your needs are.

9. sevenfoxes

I suppose I would also need a worthy power amp?

10. MaxOfMetal

That’s also going to depend on which option you go with, as there are powered versions of the Kemper units.

11. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Bit of a caveat, tho: If you've been tube amps all day, every day: Going straight modeling into a powered PA-type speaker or a powered Kemper into a speaker is going to be a hell of an adjustment.

You may wanna go with a hybrid rig like plugging a Line 6 Helix into a tube poweramp and real cabs. Also, the Helix is absolutely at the same level of the Kemper or Axe-FX as a "high end" option. I'm a former AX8 owner twice over, and I sent it packing for a Helix both times.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Not really. There was a slight learning curve coming from other amps, but realistically once you've figured out what each control does and where it sits in the whole picture of things, it's pretty intuitive. The regular eq knobs are pre-eq so use them like you would an eq pedal in front of the amp (cut lows, boost highs, etc), and the geq sliders do what you would expect the eq knobs on a traditional amp would do. Pretty easy. The other trick is not to assume that all the controls on noon are a neutral sound for that amp.

Edit: And most of the other options on the amp tend to be a set-it-once-and-forget-it kind of thing, and are pretty subtle anyway.

sevenfoxes likes this.
  13. sevenfoxes

Yeah, I've never gone deep with digital stuff. The amount of options/parameters has never appealed to me. I'm always open to new territory though.

14. mikah912

mikah912 SS.org Regular

Which is very cool! There's just a palpable difference an amp in the room and a control room feed of said amp as it's mic'd in another room. Modeling is the latter if you use impulse responses and output it all to a PA/FRFR-type speaker. It's the recreation of a complete recording signal chain. If you simply use modeling as a "swappable preamp" going into tube power amps and traditional cab, it's a whole different ball game.

Some people have a visceral reaction to the former and mistakenly take it to mean they don't like modeling. So I just wanted to prepare you.

sevenfoxes likes this.
  15. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

I'm gonna suggest a PRS Archon 50 or 100 watt head. I found it to be a mix of those amps, especially when boosted. The clean channel is the major surprise on this amp as well.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  16. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Recto Multi-Watt and an attenuator. Orange Vintage on the new Rectos does 80s rock tones well, and they have a surprisingly good clean.

Bogner Twin Jet does Recto and classic Marshall well at stage and low-ish volumes, but doesn't have a clean channel. If you have another amp to cover cleans, it's a good option.

17. sevenfoxes

I've been considering this as well, but I read that they are dark and mid-rangey?

18. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Rectos also fit that description with their huge lower mid-range, so I think most of us are ignoring that unless you can give us examples of what that means.

19. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

I'd also recommend looking at the Mesa Mark III/IV/JP2C.

The MKIII/IV will definitely fit the bill for a lot less $$$ too. The graphic will kill/shape the mids to your liking and they are bright... not dark, dull, or distant sounding. And they kill in both the bedroom or with the band. Oh... and they have a great clean channel as well. Ask Santana, Trey Anastasio, or Steve Lukather about their clean sounds.

Triple7 likes this.
  20. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

From the OP, "surf to modern metal at bedroom to band volumes", digital would be the easiest way to accomplish that. Not that the amp recommendations aren't worthy, but to go from bedroom to the bandroom digital would probably be the easiest. You can add an ISP Stealth power amp to run a cab or get a powered FRFR cab.

Last edited: May 18, 2018