EVH 5150 Stealth... meh

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Hayd, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Not trying to be a wise guy here, and sorry if i missed it, but have you tried to dial out the features that you dont like? Have you played with the settings much. It looks like in the video you just played on one setting throughout. You should have messed with the settings for video demonstration sake at least. Sorry if i missed something

2. Hayd

Hayd SS.org Regular

I'm getting rid of the amp because I don't like the tone. Trust me I have really played with this amp and try to set my tone I just don't like the amplifier

Unleash The Fury likes this.
  3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

That is the absolute worst speaker cab to use with it... per Peavey, Celestion, and Jerry from FJAMODs. I had that exact same cab, and it exaggerates all the wrong frequencies and makes the lows boom which muddies your tone and makes the overall sound not tight.

I have a Framus 412 cab with greenbacks and it does sound great. But v30's do sound good with this amp. The only thing that doesn't is the piss-soaked paper cone Sheffields that came stock back in the day with Peavey cabs lol.

+1 Can't agree more with the 12AT7 or 12AU7 in PI slot! Tech from Meridian MS factory back around 2005-ish turned me on to that and I've never looked back. It makes your gain usable all the way to 10, instead of saturating at about 7 and being useless and fizzy beyond that.

PBGas likes this.
  4. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Try turning down the tone knob on your guitar a little. It's not a great amp for scooped tone though, especially with a Nazgul in the bridge and V30s in the cab.

takotakumi and Blytheryn like this.
  5. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

You just need a warmer sounding cab/speakers.

Blytheryn likes this.
  6. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

A mate of mine who has one had his modded to take away fizz and add some more midrange to it, as well as an additional volume pot to adjust the volume difference between clean/gain channels, which is also an issue on these, maybe look into getting it modded?

The times I have played the EVH stuff I haven't being the biggest fan either, they always seem like they are an amp that is 75% of the way there but they always feel a bit stiff and fizzy.

7. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

I had an EVH 5153 Stealth EL34 for a bit, and played it through a recto cab. I had to basically turn the presence control to 10 to get what I considered a useable tone from it. Very muddy/boomy sounding as you described. I actually really liked the amp, but it just had a high noise floor that I couldn't get rid of with the high gain channel as well.

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

The regular sized recto cab is ok, but the oversized just will not work. I'm wondering if you also just maybe had a dud, or one with bad tubes.

9. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

I had a KM6 and that nasal tone bothered the hell out of me, too. Really great guitar to play, though. Completely reinvigorated me after a lull. Part of me wishes I changed the pups rather than selling entirely. I don't get along with my EVH either. I don't have anything to really add, just that I feel your pain, dude haha.

10. Hayd

Hayd SS.org Regular

. This km6 has the black Winter pups

11. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

I know, they're both mid heavy pups, that nasal tone was hard to escape. Possibly the swamp ash has something to do with it, but I've never heard this about swamp ash.

12. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

When you played high notes, it almost sounds like they are pinched out and weak. This is just from out of left field, but are you sure the action on the high strings is good? Guitar might need a truss rod or action adjustment.

13. Hayd

Hayd SS.org Regular

I returned the amp. Now I'm debating between an ax8 Kemper or Randall Thrasher. I really don't like tinkering with modelers. I wonder how good the Randall Thrasher sounds with the Mesa oversized.

14. Municipalrestart

Municipalrestart SS.org Regular

Go kemper man I had to sell my kemper and later when i could kinda afford to get a rig again I couldnt afford the payment plans on it that zzounds had so I went with a stealth because I've alwayd wanted one. I definitley see myself going back to the kemper one day soon though. Get a Yamaha dxr 10 and a pair of decent studio monitors for night time jamming and you will have everything you need. Never played the thrasher but to be honest I have never heard anything good about them either. Everything from build quality to being way too much of a hassle to dialing in kinda turned me off from them

15. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

... as an owner of a Diezel Herbert.... the 5153 Stealth sounds nothing like it. The Stealth is not a bad amp... just a completely different sound.

... Oh... try some Greenbacks too.

16. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Should sound pretty decent. I've owned the Satan which is somewhat similar to the Thrasher in that it is a very tight/focused sounding gain. Very tweakable to. With the LFGain/HFGain controls you should be fine... you might also check out a Satan as that has a sweep knob which is good for helping to dialing in different cabs.