EVH 5150 Stealth... meh

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Hayd, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Hayd

Hayd SS.org Regular

I scored this amp last week. I have it paired up with a Mesa Boogie oversized 4x12. I'm not feeling it. a lot of people say that it sounds like a Diezel Herbert. It's got balls but it has this weird hi mid tone that I'm not digging. I'm sure I could play with it with an EQ pedal and be satisfied but I think this is the end of my High Gain high power tube amp days. This amp is way too loud for bedroom volume. Like way too loud! You can't even turn it to Volume 1 without cracking the sheetrock. I know I should have thought about buying a lower watt amp more suited for bedroom jamming and drunken Friday and Saturday nights but it was hard to say no to this amp because it looks so badass.

Since I have a broad taste in high-gain amplification would the Kemper powerhead do me Justice paired up with a Mesa Boogie 4x12? I play death and black metal only I really don't play much cleans. I don't want to do much tweaking I just want to upload guitar amp profiles and just Jam.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

With a Nazgul bridge I doubt you'll be able to escape that weird, nasally, high-mid tone. Hated that pickup.
    What amp were you using before?

3. Hayd

Hayd SS.org Regular

This has the black Winters. The guitar I'm using is a km6. Before I had a Schecter hybrid 7-string and the amp I used was a modded 6505. I definitely wanted to go a different route than the standard 6505 tone. I was very much interested in getting the Randall Satan but unfortunately Randall does not have a a current factory to manufacture their amplifiers. If you see any company online selling that particular amplifier that says there is a a waiting list until mid-october they are full of it.

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah powered kemper would be loads better dude. Unlimited amp choices and you are guaranteed to find amps you love and quickly at that.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

eurgh same. Its dreadful. I even dislike the sentient neck too.
    no balls whatsoever. Even the so called "sterile" emg 81 still has more lo mids and girth to it than the nazgul does imo.}
    weird how emgs still have that stigma but certain passive duncans do not yet they are way worse?

spilla likes this.
  6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I've heard lots of places that the EVH 5150's don't always play nice with Vintage 30's so that could also be a factor. At least it looks super badass!! Good luck on your search.

7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Could just be it's not your particular sound. However, I find it hard to believe that it can't do a bedroom tone. Every 5150-family amp I've ever owned or played could sound quite good at low volumes (of course, EVERY amp sounds better louder). I run a 6505 120 watt head at home through a 412 and can get great tones for sitting right in front of the cab...the EVH amps I've played were even better at low volumes....:shrug:

Finally, regarding the Nazgul hate -- I think it really depends on the guitar they're in and how you tweak the tone. If you're already tweaking your rig for insta-djent, then yeah, that pickup can get gross real quick. My tone is more of a traditional death metal tone though. I have a Nazgul in a heavy mahogany V and it sounds massive and gnarly. I have to tweak my OD a little from where I have it in other guitars though. You don't want to cut too much bass from that pickup, because it's already cut. You can run the bass on your amp higher too. Mine is brutal AF -- hands-down a much better pickup than the active Blackouts I had before.

8. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Much prefer my 50w III with the EVH 212 over my Mesa 2x12.

9. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I run a very similar setup to you, albeit my guitar is mahogany bodied and I play through a EVH 2x12. Easy bedroom volumes. How have you dialed in your sound? I can try and track some stuff later and see if it’s comparable. I’m quite anti djent myself, and thusly hate those proggy mids. Could really just be that the stealth just isn’t the head for you, but I find that really hard to believe :lol:

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

nazguls really work better in darker sounding guitars/amps imo. It helps mitigate the nasally voicing. Black winters also work better in slightly darker voiced guitars/amps as well imo. Black winters through a recto or an engl are super br000tal. I think your biggest problem is that you're trying to get bedroom volumes from a 100W head/4x12 cabinet :lol: That's a lot of amp for small spaces. In regards to the kemper vs a real amp, the nice thing about the kemper is that you can run it from cranked to bedroom levels and it'll still sound great, plus you have basically unlimited options for high gain amps. If a profile doesn't work with your guitars/pickups, just swap it. I've been running a mesa mark v profile from GRS and it's killer with black winters, same with my triple rectifier profiles from sinmix/deadpan.

11. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I've owned pretty much every version of the EVH at one point or another so from my experience: the volume is touchy on the Stealth but with some care you can get good sounds at non-deafening levels. Your upper mid issue is a combination of V30 + bright guitar + Nazgull. The EVH amps typically pair MUCH better with a greenback variant.

The Kemper is a viable route, it gives you lots of options that sound pretty good. IMHO it sounds better with a good FRFR setup than powered through a 4x12. If you're going for low bedroom volumes a good set of monitors would do you better with the Kemper and would also give you stereo for effects.

narad and wakjob like this.
  12. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

Actually, use the Kemper/FRFR for home at least. One of the things that always bugs me about amps at low volume is the speakers aren't going to sound their best at TV volumes.

13. Hayd

Hayd SS.org Regular

After watching some YouTube videos sounds to me like the Matrix Kemper combo has more of aggressive tone then the Kemper powerhead. I'm not looking to get rid of the Mesa cab and replace with monitors right now. I was hoping that the Kemper powerhead had plenty of power for the Mesa cab and given an aggressive metal tone

14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I actually love the Nazgul for any application where you need good pick attack, and a chunky low end. I love it for Pantera and Fear Factory style playing. Not sure why it gets all the hate around here....

This is the same reason I went Axe-FX several years ago. I love tube amps, but they are just impractical for most of us. I used to have a wall of tube amps, but sold them all except for my prized Triple Rectifier. I use the Axe with a Matrix power amp and two 212 cabs. Sounds massive, even at low volumes.

I also have been liking distortion pedals into the clean channel of the Recto lately. You can get some great sounds out of pedals these days.

I also have a Boss Katana, which is a great little amp as well.

Kyle Jordan, Mike and Deadpool_25 like this.
  15. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

i like the normal 5150 a lot better

16. crwnedblasphemy

crwnedblasphemy all things metal!

It does mesh with greenback type speakers better. I have mine for sale too though, cuz I am content on the 2x12 combo for my needs

17. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I'll echo the "Greenback" suggestion.
    They just bring out the best in that line of amps.

But the volume issue is easy...
    use a 12AU7 in the phase inverter.

This usually knocks the head off the overall dB output of any amp, and takes care of those super touchy Master Volume controls some amps have.

18. Hayd

Hayd SS.org Regular

I'm shipping the 5150 stealth back tomorrow. My Mind Is Made Up for the Kemper. The big debate is to go with the Kemper powerhead version or just the modler and match it with a matrix power amp. I'm looking for an aggressive tone and I'm not certain if the Kemper powerhead can do that. Should I spend the extra money to get the Matrix Power Amp or just get the the Kemper powerhead?

19. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I'm not sure what kind of extra "aggression" you think the PowerRack can't provide? The amp can produce the tones of just about any high gain head you can score a profile for, and you can boost it either with the internal 808 model or a physical pedal like a PD or whatnot.

I've never tried a Kemper with a matrix but I own the powerhead and I often find myself dialing the gain back a bit as it can get kinda insane sometimes.

20. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I would get the unpowered rack and a Mosvalve poweramp but, that's just because I love that poweramp