EVH 5150 III EL34 50w IT IS REAL

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by technomancer, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Municipalrestart

Municipalrestart SS.org Regular

Sounds way too flubby :/ I really wanted to pull the trigger on one of these and sell my stealth but I think im going back to the original plan of buying a jvm205 and modding it to the 410 od1 specs and having all the sounds I need from those.

2. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

Okay, now that I've had this model for a few weeks I feel like I can talk about it a little more honestly. I'm playing through a PRS 2x12 with V30's in it.

Red Channel: Awesome. The 5150 III thing is done here excellently and the gain is, as in the 6L6 version, way over the top. It's just a smudge thicker in the mids but not in a gross way. My favorite channel by far and not much to say here.

Blue Channel: Spongy. Thick. If you turn the presence and the treble up all the way it still might lack bite. It's fine for just standard "rock" sounds. Without a boost, a strat or a tele and the gain turned way down 2-3 gives a really fun low gain sound to jam around on. BUT for metal sounds a good OD pedal like the 808 or TS9 is necessary and are easily achievable so don't let the core sound dissuade you from grabbing one of these.

Green Channel: My main clean sound is absolutely drenched in reverb and delays and sometimes a "shimmer" effect because I love that shit. This channel can absolutely handle a pristine clean sound that doesn't have break up. It can also do a decent edge of breakup sound if you turn the volume all the way up and use the gain knob as a volume.

TL;DR the Red is amazing, as expected. The Blue is fine but needs an OD to shine. The Green is fucking great and clean. I regret nothing and will likely pick up the matching cab soon.

If anyone has any questions I can surely answer with more detail regarding something or other.

3. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I think you will enjoy it much more with the matching cab.

feraledge likes this.
  4. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

^I do think so too

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Thanks for the in-depth review! This is making it easier to pull the trigger on one of these...so maybe I shouldn't be thanking you, lol.

That's kind of what I suspected with the blue channel; hit it with an OD and it'll tighten up and give you some bite. I have an MXR M77 which has control over the 100hz frequencies -- so on amps with too much low end, I've always been able to cut enough bass with that and get a very tight, bitey sound. Kinda figured that a player with a lot of tools on the pedalboard would be able to make it work. Plus, I kinda dig that the blue channel is so much different than the red channel. On all the 6505s I've owned, the red and green channels are more or less very similar, with the red channel just having more gain and saturation.

Most of all, that's good to hear about the cleans -- that's exactly the way I like my cleans as well; drenched in reverb and delay. I sometimes run my Flashback delay, Hall of Fame on the "church" mode, and my EQD Afterneath all at the same time.:lol:

6. Captastic

Captastic SS.org Regular

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these. I was also thinking of getting the matching 2x12. I already have a VHT FB 4x12 and a Mesa OS 4x12. Is the matching cab the recommended choice?

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

yes, imo the v30s are not the best match for the 5153

8. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I'm so curious about trying the matching cab, I have an old 80's Marshall 4x12 so no V30 issues, just cant get proper value selling the 4x12 but maybe will just ad the 2x12 at some point.

9. Mattiktpq

Mattiktpq Grave Child

I know this isn't EL34 related and I'm not for sure if it's been posted yet but it looks like we are getting 5150III 50w 2.0 with separate gain and volume controls for channels 1 and 2. Can't post a link since I'm a noob but zZounds has a listing for it, just search for EVH2253010.

10. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Why is 2018 going at war with my wallet? Jesus..

TheRileyOBrien and Mattiktpq like this.
  11. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

You are correct. Makes sense that they would revise it with those features. Those also added “6L6” to the name on the front.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--EVH2253010

[​IMG]

12. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

I emailed them after the lunchbox came out about selling me some concentric pots and knobs so I could mod mine(I've gotten replacement parts from them before). They said they would look into it and never got back to me. Maybe I'll have to follow up on that now that they have a couple 50watt models with them. I don't want to buy another 6l6 one as I have grown quite attached to mine and I was planning on getting the el34 model soon. On the other hand I have dealt with not having separate controls for years now so I can probably get by without. Seems like such a weird/lazy decision to not just do this in the first place.

13. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I really hope that one has the tight blue channel back of the old/original 50W again.

14. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

So maybe I missed it somewhere in this thread, but is the 50w EL34 considered a “Stealth” model like the actual 100w counterparts or what? I’m also tempted to pull the trigger on one of those 3. I do dig the dual concentric knobs on the LBXII, but love the roar of the original Stealth. Hmmm...

15. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King Contributor

No one at EVH/Fender probably had thought about it until they saw Jens Kruze's mods.

http://krusekontrol.com/evh_iii_mod/b-2_stealth_mod_50w

He updated my original LBX with concentric pots, and a clean channel mod.

16. shred-o-holic

shred-o-holic SS.org Regular

After finally trying this amp in person I retract my previous statement about not liking it. Loved it the other day at GC. I didn't like the 100 watt version I had previously tried but to me this is a much different amp. Would love to own one \m/

17. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

The respons of Howard Kaplan of Fender at a FB subforum:
    Howard Kaplan Looks like a dealer let images out ahead of the formal announcements at NAMM. And, yes there will be an upgrade path for owners of the old amps, but will be Service Center upgrade. Details are being worked out at this time.

18. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Here the respons of Howard Kaplan at a FB subforum:
    Looks like a dealer let images out ahead of the formal announcements at NAMM. And, yes there will be an upgrade path for owners of the old amps, but will be Service Center upgrade. Details are being worked out at this time.

That is good news for us 6L6 owners

jclogston and rexbinary like this.
  19. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

Fuck. Yes. Thank you EVH.

jclogston likes this.
  20. jclogston

jclogston SS.org Regular

I wonder how much this would cost and how it compares to Kruse kontrol price. I was going to get my modded but hate shipping it across the u.s. ( and waiting for 3 weeks total turnaround time).