EVH 5150 III EL34 50w IT IS REAL

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by technomancer, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Yup with and without a boost. I found what makes it a bit more clear is to turn down the resonance and roll back the mids a bit, but there's just something about the character of it that I'm not getting along with :/

JD27 likes this.
  2. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I’m using an Orange Two Stroke in the EQ and Presicion Drive in the front, so I guess I have a lot to work with in removing or adding things.

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

lol, too funny!
    cool clips btw.

JD27 and Mike like this.
  4. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Got my matching 2x12 today and played it for about 30 mine after work. It just pairs better with the head than my Orange and Mesa. It went from this amp is pretty cool to this amp sounds fuckin mean now.

5. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

Hey JD.. How does the blue channel sound with the matching cab? In your opinion can the blue channel do thrash metal with a boost?

JD27 likes this.
  6. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Definitely, it does need a boost, just doesn’t seem tight enough without one. Those speakers just sound a lot better with this head though. Definitely more low end and less piercing on the highs.

MetalThrasher likes this.
  7. MetalThrasher

How high do you have to put the gain on the blue channel to achieve a thrash metal tone with a boost? BTW what kind of boost are you running?

8. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I have it just under noon. I have a precision drive, unfortunately sold my others, so I can’t compare them.

9. MetalThrasher

How is it around 2 to 3 o'clock?

10. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

So um errr how does this comp to the amp section in the 5150iii combo?
    On paper looks badass.

11. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

Mine comes in tomorrow! For anyone that might be watching, Sweetwater says that the wait list is massive and they’re not getting any more until the beginning of January.

12. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

I really don't need one of these. I sure hope you guys don't post a bunch of videos and clips when you get them.

rexbinary likes this.
  13. StefanWest

StefanWest SS.org Regular

i wonder how this thing competes with a Cobra

14. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

You mean clips like this? :lol: (Not me, just a cool demo I found) :

I'm still on the fence whether I want to go with the EL 34 or the 6L6 version. For me, it'll come down to which one gets the cleaner cleans. The drive on both sounds amazing.

TheRileyOBrien likes this.
  15. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

The comments on the blue channel on the 50w are interesting... sounds like it is more like the normal 100w blue than the 100w EL34 blue.

Also I'll repeat IMHO all the EVH 5153 heads sound better with a Greenback derivative than V30s :lol:

feraledge, JD27 and TheRileyOBrien like this.
  16. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

The matching cab made a ton of difference compared to using my Orange/Mesa V30s.

feraledge and technomancer like this.
  17. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

I've been meaning to pick up one of the 2x12 cabs. They make a great sounding combo from what I've heard.

18. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Pretty cool, honest review here:

I'm close to pulling the trigger on one of these or the 6L6 version, but honestly, every time I watch a review I change my mind on which one to go with, lol.

I have played the 6L6 version and definitely loved the red channel. I felt that it didn't need a boost to absolutely rip, just plugged directly in. The EL-34 version seems the same in that regard, albeit a slightly different voicing that still sounds amazing. I can't tell which one I prefer.

What I really want is an awesome clean channel as well. Some demos of the El34 version sound great, others sound like it starts to break up early. I want chimey, CLEAN cleans that take ambient effects like reverb and delay very well.

Regarding the blue channel-- I agree with the demo above, it didn't sound good at all. But...I feel like I could get a decent tone out of it by boosting it with my MXR M77 and really cutting a lot of the bass out of the signal, plus using the amp's EQ to cut bass as well.

Anybody that's tried one of these or owns one -- what would you say? I want amazing high-gain and amazing cleans, but could compromise on the in-between channel. What say you -- 6L6 or EL-34?

19. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I also owned a 6L6 version. The blue channel was better than the EL34 version without an OD. The EL34 blue channel is a spongy mess. However, I never loved the 6L6 version unboosted either. But, with my Horizon PD boosting the EL34 blue channel it sounds awesome. Actually the channel I play on 90% of the time. The red channels on both are crazy high gain, really don’t need an OD to tighten them up either. I haven’t played with the green channel on the EL34 much, it’s not bad though. But, I have a Mesa TC-50, so if I want cleans, that one is what I play.

KailM likes this.
  20. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

If you want a crunch channel and cleans on paper the el34 version with the dual concentric pots is a better option. If you switch out the power tubes for something with a little more headroom like JJ big bottle 6ca7 you're even better off. The 6L6 model can get great cleans if you sacrifice the blue channel and turn the gain way down and channel volume up. I never did that because I loved that fat blue channel crunch so much. Dam I need another. Someone trade me for my MTS platform lol.