EVH 5150 III EL34 50w IT IS REAL

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by technomancer, Oct 3, 2017.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

That's why I thought this amp was funny. EVH tried to market this as an amp to get closer to his classic sound, but the preamp section is as far away from a 1968 Plexi as you can get, and supposedly the brown sound was achieved with 6CA7 tubes, not EL34s.

I remember being excited when a more "vintage-style" EVH amp was being rumored. I thought hey, a cheaper Plexi clone would have been badass. :agreed:

I still bet this amp kicks plenty of ass, though. :agreed:

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

That won't be stopping me from getting one. :lol:

3. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

Worth noting that @technomancer has epic stalking abilities. I'm not seeing anything else about this at all. This is why we SSO, son!
    My excitement for this is ridiculously higher than I ever thought it could be for an EL34 head.

technomancer and Blytheryn like this.
  4. Municipalrestart

Municipalrestart SS.org Regular

Fuuuuuuck. I just bought the 100 watt stealth and my 45 days return ended a few days ago. God damnit.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Wish I could claim credit but I saw it on one of the Facebook groups I'm on :lol:

I'm just hoping this is the same preamp design as the EL34 Stealth as that thing was epic.

feraledge and Blytheryn like this.
  6. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I don't know what EVH tried to market if for, but people likely are waiting for it to play something else than "brown" tone. An EVH amp certainly wouldn't be what I'd use if I was an eddie tone chaser.

7. feraledge

The trend has always been same or better. The Blue channel LBX II is based off the Stealth’s isn’t it?? So the pot upgrade and probably some more gain too. It’s hard for me to imagine it not ripping.

8. Municipalrestart

We might be in the same facebook group then. I heard about it there and then talked to someone "on the inside" and they said it was going to be at winter namm so i kinda assumed it wasn't even going to be available till aprilish of next year.

9. technomancer

Could be though the group I saw it has been claiming October for a couple months now. Glad to see it appears to be panning out :yesway:

10. Municipalrestart

Man of I would have heard october I wpuld have honestly waited. I got my stealth new for 1800 on a payment plan but still could have been nice to save an extra 700

11. technomancer

Yeah it was originally summer then when it wasn't at Summer NAMM changed to October. Fender seems to be trying hard to make sure it is ready before they announce a release. Guess they don't want to follow the train of hyping something then having it be months late on release(*cough* Invective *cough*)

Deadpool_25, feraledge and Beheroth like this.
  12. Municipalrestart

Haha I remember trying to look for that amp and not being able to find it. I bet it sounds great but man something about that amp is so ugly to me and the stealth in my opinion is pretty much the sexiest amp ever built. I might talk to zzounds about returning the stealth im not sure what they do if the return is outside of 45 days though.

13. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

One thing I wish EVH would change about their amps. And believe me... I know this is petty.

I really wish the god damn power controls were on the front. If only they changed that for this model, too :(

TheRileyOBrien and feraledge like this.
  14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

15. feraledge

I don't consider this petty. It annoys me every single time I turn my amp on beyond reason. BUT I do love the amp dearly.
    Total Guitar write up has me amped. I care 0% about how it nails a Marshal-esque "brown sound," I just know that the 5153 is my favorite amp to date, each model manages to sound better and the clips I've heard of the 5134 sound killer, plus just different enough that I think it would make for an insanely epic dual rig with my 5153 50 watt. PLUS, you can find these 2 x 12"s pretty damn cheap, best matched cab ever.

16. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

The switches on back do not bother me at all. It would be nicer on front. The resonance controls on back annoy me more...

Municipalrestart likes this.
  17. feraledge

I solved this problem with a quick mod. I call it, "leave it dimed and never think of it again" mod. Works well. I'll see if I can post up a demo video.

Deadpool_25, PBGas, Blytheryn and 4 others like this.
  18. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery SS.org Regular

"Also has dual concentric pots for gain and volume on channel 1/2 so no volume jump"

Well, poop. Looks like I'm buying a new amp.

19. NickVicious24

NickVicious24 Dutchie

I originally owned the standard 50w version. Really loved that amp but wanted to go back to a Kemper again (to minimize my rig) so sold the unit. Now 2 years later i'm honestly craving a tube amp again (right around the time the invective was announced).
    However, due to the (IMHO) high price here in Europe of the Invective and the delayed release, I haven't pre ordered it yet.

And now, out of the blue this happens, a new version of the original amp which I loved, with the stacked volume+gain pots, totally in love again.

This will be bought as soon as it hits the stores, and it will also save me some cash to buy a helix LT for effects.
    Hook it up 4CM style, throw in a midi cable for switching and i'm set!

PBGas likes this.
  20. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Please do.....I'm really unsure how to do this....the subtle twist is bothering me.

Currently I am pondering how the Charvel was killed in your signature. Last i checked the wood was already dead.

:cheers: