Evertune keeps breaking string instantly

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by ShreddingDragon, Sep 23, 2017.

1. ShreddingDragon

ShreddingDragon Silence the discord

Hey guys! Evertune newbie problem here. I just got a VGS Octagon 8 string (NGD post is coming!), and the high E string keeps breaking when I'm setting it up. I think I accidentally set the saddle wrong somehow when trying to finetune the pitch. I read the manual before even touching the guitar, but I think I still messed something up within the system and now the saddle/spring/tensions are somehow set in a way where the high E is trying to operate under way too much tension or something... Here's the deal:

Out of the box I noticed the open high E note was a bit flat, so I decided to raise it a little. (I think the mistake was here, because IIRC the string was in bend-stop mode, and it should be in Zone 2 when tuning...) I tuned it spot-on and then tried to setup the bend-stop mode. I turned the tuning peg until the note went sharp, and tuned back down. I tried a little bend lick, and the string broke at the tuning post.

Next I put in a new string (.010, I suppose it's the same as stock strings, not sure though), and found that Zone 2 was way below E. It was a bit below D. I was a bit puzzled but went ahead and tuned upwards to E while in Zone 2. I had turn the hex key quite a bit before the pitch started changing, but it eventually got there. Now correctly pitched and in Zone 2, I tried to setup bend-stop again. I turned the peg until the pitch raised, and when I backed it down, the string broke.

Any idea what could be going on? How do I safely reset the saddle's settings to high E? Any input is much appreciated :yesway:

2. Slaeyer

Slaeyer SS.org Regular

Hi,
    with tuning post you're refering to the tuning machine?
    To me it sounds like a sharp edge on the tuning machines that cuts the string.
    Check if there is one and try to file it down a little.

Cheers
    David

3. exo

exo SS.org Regular

I have zero Evertune experience, but if things keep breaking literally at the tuner, I'd be looking for a burr or sharp edge or something on the tuner itself, not worrying about the Evertune system , as a starting point. KJust my $.02.....

4. ShreddingDragon

I don't feel any sharp edges on it. I don't really know how they're supposed to feel exactly, but nothing that feels too sharp to me.

5. ShreddingDragon

The manual says "NOTE: When going from a higher to a lower string gauge, tune the strings to about a half step sharp of the desired note with the tuning pegs at the headstock. Then decrease the saddle tension with the hex key in the tuning hole behind the saddle until each string is in tune. This will avoid breaking strings by trying to get saddles into Zone 2 when the tension is set too high for the smaller string gauge."

I think the factory string gauges (which are nowhere to be found in the guitar manual or online) are different from the 0.010 set I was trying to put on after the first E broke. I tried restringing the high B and its Zone 2 (where the note stays constant) was already at G#.

Does that mean the original gauges were heavier or lighter than 010?