Ever had tough stuck up band mates?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by hxcdeathcore, Mar 10, 2011.

1. hxcdeathcore

hxcdeathcore SS.org Regular

Ever had this problem? I brought in some riffs one day for some songs and he said they all sucked because they weren't as good as Lamb of God.:scratch:
    And we tried out a bassist, and he fit all of our standards but our vocalist said no to bringing him in because he was wearing a blink 182 shirt. Anybody else have these kinds of problems with band mates? And you can surely know that I have left that band awhile ago. :wallbash:

2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Just tell him that his riffs suck because they're not as good as Fergie's.

3. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Fergie writes the best fucking riffs. :agreed:

4. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

95 percent of musicians I know are stuck up a little.

The stuff you described (the blink shirt scenario) just sounds like the guy is a douche.

5. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    You did call the bass player and ask him to be part of the nucleus of your new band, right?

6. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

For the record, Blink 182 kicks fuckin' ass. Anyone who says otherwise has very little validity as far as I'm concerned.

7. Meatbucket

Meatbucket The Minotaur

I just got out of one of these scenarios. My best buddy (who is also an epic vocalist) and I were jamming with and old bassist friend of my buddy's. He turned out to be a humongous arrogant, racist asshole that thought he was the shit at bass, when, truth be told, wanted to play music like a shitty Mudvayne, which he still couldn't do!

I give him credit for having a Carvin bass though, couldn't use it at all though. He also straight called my best buddy fat. Rule #1, you NEVER EVER call Dave fat. EVER. He maybe a little pudgy but you don't EVER do it or you are no longer a person.

We don't communicate with that guy anymore.

When asked to write stuff for him to play, he couldn't play along and would always ask for simpler things. When he would say to play along with something of his, I would come up with four or five different styles and each one he would say are crap and too complex, so I'd just end up following his exact, boring lines. When I would ask to tweek it just a little to make it sound kinda cool, I'd get this response: "Well I mean, I wrote this, I want it to be like this." I can completely understand that, but just a few minor tweeks to make it really sound cool to give it that WOW factor.

So all in all: arrogant, racist, nonflexible douche that can't play bass very well but thinks he does.

8. JoeyBTL

JoeyBTL SS.org Regular

if thats how hes acting, its not good.
    get out now or get him out quickly. it won't end well.

9. ascender

ascender SS.org Regular

I've dealt with some serious clowns in my day.

For instance ... when I was playing with my now former band, the other guitar player was a complete control freak about song writing. If I brought a new riff to the table that he didn't like, that riff was cut. No matter who else was digging on it. It could've been everyone versus him on a riff, but it was instantly shot to shit if he didn't like it. However, if the rolls were reversed and he brought one that I wasn't quite into, he would flip. Direct quote from one scenario ... "Well, agree to disagree I suppose. I wrote it. So no matter what, we're using it whether you like it or not. I write riffs, and I intend to use them." He was ultimately the reason I quit the band a SECOND time. The first time was because of a third guitar player we had with the same exact ego. Then we tried to reconcile with just two players. That didn't turn out so well, because even though the first problem person was gone, apparently he forgot his attitude when he left.

That's just one of the situations I've dealt with. I seriously could go on for days about all the self-centered and/or stuck up bandmates I've played with.

10. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Just don't bother, being in a band is great, but you don't want it to be a stress inducer. Pick up the bassist and move on.

aka Explorer wins.

Can we get an edit on the thread title to 'have you ever been in a band'.

11. CrownofWorms

CrownofWorms SS.org Regular

Hmmmmmm, sounds like you have a Axl Rose in your band....in other words Douche

12. krypter

krypter SS.org Regular

its taken me a ridiculous amount of time to get this band together, but i'm 100% comfortable with it because everyone is totally rad.

Best advice? Find people you can get along with. You can always improve technically, but not personally.

In other words, i would rather teach someone to play better and know we all get along, than have someone who is Vai incarnate but a total douchenozzle.

13. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

I'm not a member of a band per se, but since I study music on B-level, I got a school-band.

Every single time we pick a new song to play, we got the front dude who is a prick by the way, who ONLY listens to and plays pop and soft rock, who picks some random shiz. We got two female vocalists who adorns him and his musical taste, the chill giant who likes his stuff but is meh over all, and then comes me and my buddy who just wants to play good music.

I suggested last time, that we should play bulls on parade, because it's a known song, it's not that hard, Peter, my buddy, could rap the text flawlessly, and it's just a great song to play overall.
    "What the fuck, we can't be arsed with your death metal. Go back playing your sevenstring..."
    LOLWAT

And then we proceed to play a song by... Pink... :noplease:
    Only upside was headbanging vigurously while playing bass, against Peter on the cowbell.:lol:

14. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

This. All of this. :yesway:

15. Doomcreeper

Doomcreeper Whitechapel

It's funny I had an old band but the singer and drummer each had an attitude, now my new band a year later ended up being started with the same bassist because we still wanted to make the same kinda music and still worked really well. Now our drummer lives out of town so we can't jam as often, but it's worth it because of the people. I don't think i could be in a band where someone had that much of an attitude, especially after how our previous band went. I agree with Krypter, it might take a while, but finding the right people is worth it.

16. heilarkyguitar

heilarkyguitar Brown note

Just take control if think your band has the shot. If not fuck it move on. Call blink and jam .

17. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

If your band doesn't stress you out then you are definitely doing it wrong :lol:

A balance of pros and cons is a good sign :yesway:

18. Kali Yuga

Kali Yuga SS.org Regular

I'm the dickhead in most of my bands.

19. Saber_777

Saber_777 ///M

I used to be one but I grew up... Yeah, the bassist I have playing with my band now is in love with Cage the Elephant (They came out near where we live. But what the hey, he can slap like no man and hes really good, and doesnt use a pic. As long as we have a good time, I dont much care what we listen to. I remember that I was in a band with... 7 people. Then we had this bright ass idea to cover Psychosocial (I grew out of this), I learned it. No one else did. Then I got a little upset, and they kept doing it with different songs, thats why its just me and another bassist and guitarist. Dont let them bring you down, dont worry about image either, its the music that is important. Drop the dick or get past it? I used to be one of those guys that had to have everything a certain way. It'll usually grow out, espically when they realize they need what they or you have to offer
    Deathcore props from me.

20. Taylor2

Taylor2 Teh Groove Metuhl

Surprisingly, I didn't have to deal with stuck up band mates.

Then I left the band because I didn't like the music.

Then they got a bit of a fan base.

And now they're stuck up.

At least 5/6 are anyways.