EVE Online

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by QuantumCybin, Apr 11, 2016.

1. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

So I've avoided making a thread about this game because even though I've been "playing" it for a few months, I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about it. I'm over the steep learning curve and generally understand everything; I'm pretty much focused on exploration and finally got my covert ops ship all trained and ready to go. What makes me unsure if I really want to stick with this game is the community. I just need a good corporation. Does anyone play this or used to play it? It's got a pretty strong cult following with a loyal fanbase; it's definitely unlike any other MMO I've played. Kind of reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies with the player driven economy and stuff.

The game does seem like a total time sink though; some of the lengths people go to to achieve sh!t in this game is completely nuts. I do like the setting and the scope...the game is huge.

2. asher

asher So Did We

The economy is infinitely more complicated than SWG, as a long time former player of both. :lol:

I used to be in a small nullsec pvp Corp with some really solid guys, but I cannot remember the name of it :/

I miss everything about EVE that isn't the damn game itself.

3. QuantumCybin

Haha that's what I keep hearing from people is long-time players end up staying for the community moreso than the game. I played SWG from pre-CU to NGE so I can relate to that :lol:

This game is just so complex sometimes; I've ended up just reading sh!t on the eve wiki about it more than playing it haha

4. kootenay

kootenay SS.org Regular

I am a SWG and EVE vet as well! I played on the Eclipse server in SWG. EVE gets soooo much better with a decent corp. You just need to make sure the corp is going to be into the same things as you. I remember joining corps that listed themselves as mining corps then all they ever did was PvP. The Orca as never out, etc. I would start playing again, but I don't have the time to really enjoy the game as much as I want to. Though a new exp just came out didn't it????

5. QuantumCybin

Haha, that's awesome. I played on Corbantis on SWG. Well, part of the problem I'm having with Eve is there's so much to do. I've spent the better part of two months training my exploration skills, but PvP is still appealing to me, as I do think the combat is fun. Yeah, I'm pretty sure they just released an expansion of sorts.

6. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

I thought the title was "EVH Online" and came in here rather confused. I then read a little bit and realized I can't read very well. That is all. Carry on.

7. kootenay

kootenay SS.org Regular

Yeah its hard to be diverse when you first start playing. When I started I ran two accounts, one started PvP training right away and the other mining. That way I had the best of both worlds. I had a lot more time on my hands then. The nice thing is you can just queue up like 5 days of training and just walk away for a bit, come back and be that much better. This really applies to early in the game when training times can be quite low. I checked both my accounts last night as sometimes there is a "Hey, want to try it out again for 10 days for free", but sadly nothing of the sort....haha!

8. QuantumCybin

Yeah, I had like 30 days of training queued to unlock covops ships and level up all my scanning skills. I do like that though, how you can progress with your skills but don't have to actually grind.

9. asher

asher So Did We

You do need to grind, but it's for ISK. Especially if you want to PVP, which you should because it's by far the best part of the game, because you will lose a whole lot of ships, at least at first :lol:

10. QuantumCybin

Yeah, got myself into a pretty big Corp, they do pvp and they're pretty organized and helpful so they're showing me some things. Makes me happy I can do exploration because I can get some decent ISK from that to replace all my ships :lol:

11. QuantumCybin

So tonight was pretty fun, got to experience PvP in a fleet of over 100 players. It was also noteworthy because I got to see my first Titan....or should I say Titans? Saw about five of them all together in a fleet. Seriously epic, they all decloaked from the gate at the same time and everyone was like :eek:

Also, I felt bad for this dude who's part of an alliance at war with us. He got podded and lost a 2 BILLION ISK capsule! :fawk:

[​IMG]

Oh, and here's a couple screen caps someone in the fleet took of those Titans. Wish it was a little closer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. asher

asher So Did We

Oh goodie, you're fighting Goonswarm :lol:

Don't feel bad for him.

My fondest memories are doing .... like taking over the entry gate to enemy territory with a 20 man group with a couple dedicated remote repair battleships and taking down the 50 man response fleet, including like nine carriers. We left because they finally got enough carriers in at once to keep themselves alive - we weren't dying.

Was never in anything big enough to see any titans or super carriers though.

13. QuantumCybin

Hahah, I guess there's some big war happening right now called The Northern War or World War Bee...CFC got turned into "the Imperium" and now all those alliances including goonswarm are fighting against another coalition that includes my Corp, Pandemic Horde. I don't really 100% understand what's going on but it sure is fun :lol:

14. kootenay

kootenay SS.org Regular

Everyone hates Goon, except for Goon themselves. I may have to hide this thread from my view as I am getting tempted to give it a go again...haha

15. asher

asher So Did We

I've actually always thought Goon was pretty hilarious and I absolutely loved the bees. And the noob ship swarms they (used to?) do. I think their presence in game has been beneficial.

But they're also mostly jackasses and you love to hate them :lol:

16. asher

asher So Did We

phone double post.

Is that Corp a smaller part of Pandemic Legion?

17. QuantumCybin

Give in to your temptations :lol:

@Asher from my understanding, yeah. They're still pretty big, I think they have 7000 members currently, they've gotten over 1500 people in just the last week or so alone; I think the war has something to do with it, players wanting to get their hands dirty and all that djent

18. QuantumCybin

So I've had a lot of fun the last couple weeks with the Horde. I've been in some pretty big fights; it's crazy how many people can show up. Since I'm still learning I'm just flying ECM fitted Griffins or tackle fitted Merlins in PvP, but I did recently start putting my exploration skills to use in a PvP sense by using the Nemesis stealth bomber, but fitted with rockets instead of torps or missiles, since they have a much better hit chance against frigates. I've been hunting explorers inside wormholes and its great fun :hbang:

Oh, and NPC's can now spawn in dreads and even titans with the Citadel expansion that just came out. They're a lot of fun!

Here's some pictures (for the one or two people that maybe care :lol: ) of some of the fleets I've been in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Good stuff! Biggest ships Ive met now are Carriers. Just missed a Titan once- dropping an upgrade into our system when in a null renting corp.

Too infquently online right now to make a go of anything outside hisec.

Popping Goons is always a good pursuit tho. That and CODE.

20. QuantumCybin

So I'm still playing this, was busy with some other games for a little bit, but it feels good to be playing again. That whole "world war bee" ended in a victory for my alliance, the Goonswarm was essentially pushed out of a large section of the north.

What makes this game so interesting to me (and I imagine a ton of other players) is how the content is essentially all player-created. It's such a slow paced game in the sense of day by day it seems like very little changes, but in a couple months things are dramatically different. The corp I'm in is nomadic by nature, so we've moved out of the Fade constellation and are now in Pure Blind. We have the second Keepstar citadel (biggest you can get) ever put up in EVE. It's EPIC. When I first started playing, the corp I was part of before Horde was based in hi-sec, but man do I greatly prefer living in Null sec. I love that travelling around the constellation is always an unknown in terms of who you might run into. I normally just fly an Astero since I do exploration for all my ISK, but man sometimes its nerve wracking. I've had some serious close calls getting caught in a bubble and trying to avoid the cans they set up to decloak me, especially when I'm flying around with 500 mil worth of loot :lol:

Very cool game, it's definitely an acquired taste and a slow burn, but man, it's deep as sh!t.

EDIT: A couple photos of this epic Citadel. It's crazy, even when I'm in a ship and I zoom all the way in, the relative size of the Keepstar hardly changes :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016