Etherial Guitars

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jkiernanguitar, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

Ships tomorrow!

received_1571151142922288.jpeg

I'd like to say thanks to yall btw. For the well wishes on hopefully receiving a shred machine. The fellas that are really worried I wasted my money I thank you too because your scrutiny has kept Matt on his toes. It's not about the money though I'm not a rich man by any means but, When you are building a ground up custom instrument for someone that's a person's hopes and dreams on the line. You don't fuck around with that and im sorry to anyone has been burned by Etherial.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2018
  2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, having been burned so many times myself, I’m super nervous whenever I see someone post that they’ve put in a custom order somewhere. So this is really awesome that it’s done, it looks good, and you’ll soon have it.

lewis, Kyle Jordan and Wizardtac like this.
  3. Hollowway

What we haven’t really talked about - but perhaps now should - is the crazy specs on this thing. Do you have anything like this you’re currently playing? I mean, with the string spacing, tuning, etc. And how do you play it?

4. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

Well long story is,

I had a 4 string for about the first two years of bass playing. Picked up an incredibly ugly Ibanez 6 string back in the day after hearing Primus. Who didn't???? Well, I just never went back. Sure people ask me all the time "Well what can you do on a 4 string?" Theoretically "enough" Scientific fact "not as much."

I picked up a Conklin 7 string when I was in the Army played that thing for 4 years. I ended up tuning it with an E string on top instead of a low B tuning it DADGCFBb. With tapping and etc I began playing more and more guitar-ESC leads and rhythms with the extended range. I loved the huge massive wide neck on the 7 but the string spacing was "tight"

Down the road I picked up a Stealth Pearl Bongo 6 HH. I found that 6 strings where really optimal for me. I don't like the feel of having any unwound strings on a bass type instrument at all. Those strings lose tone and began to sound twangy and alien from the rest of the strings. The Bongo is the best commercially made 6 string bass I've ever played. The 18mm string spacing was amazing. To emulate those "leads" from my 7 string my brother introduced me to using pedals after 12 years of none at all. Bought a digitech whammy and a looper which changed everything.

Now I'm in a two piece "space doom metal deathjazz band" it's myself and a drummer. I play bass,guitar, keyboard,horn,percussion parts all on the one instrument with all the pedals I use now.

When I contacted Matt I wanted a bass that looked and played like an oversized metal guitar. Hence the push button killswitch and tremolo bridge! This bass has 27frets 35-34.8 spacing and 17.5mm string spacing. As soon as I figure out the file size limit I'll add some videos to the forum

35-34.8 scale*

5. Hollowway

Wait - you have a 0.2" fan? Is that a typo, or are you just insane? :lol:

sezna and Ebony like this.
  6. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

It started out as fanned fret bass and I didn't want it to be to extreme. Then I decided on the bridge and the design had to change because the bridge isnt multiscale and I've been excited for the hybrid scale ever since

Hollowway likes this.
  7. Hollowway

Ah, OK. Well, if there's a discussion on playing multiscale instruments, just don't go swinging your dick around, or someone's gonna punch you. :lol:

That being said, it's cool that you even considered something below 1.5", because people usually just sort of "round down" to 0 at that point. But, there's really no reason you shouldn't do a fan of that amount, if it suits the built and can work with conventional hardware like that.

cwhitey2 and Winspear like this.
  8. neun Arme

neun Arme SS.org Regular

Now, I want to hear that, what's the name of the band? Where can I listen to some of what you do?

9. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

10. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

11. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

12. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

What I meant was I'd played multi scale instruments ibanez,dingwall in the past and it was a multiscale bass. I basically traded in the fan fret system so that I could have a tremolo. Then the micro fan came along

Hollowway likes this.
  13. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

IGC and Hollowway like this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

@Wizardtac

Was watching Childrens TV with my daughter and this came on...... -

[​IMG]

Wizardtac likes this.
  15. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 *space for hire*

16. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

Exactly here is my stage garb

FB_IMG_1514836610190.jpg FB_IMG_1514836615648.jpg FB_IMG_1514527595632.jpg

Randy, AxeHappy, IGC and 7 others like this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

haha man thats so cool.

Although jesus dont you overheat with all that on?.
    I would pass out if it were me.
    Ive played stages before where the light rig was low above the drummer on an arc and it meant the stage temp was stupidly overbearing. If I wore this I would have died haha

18. Hollowway

Holy shit, that's amazing!

AxeHappy likes this.
  19. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

It's more breathable then you think there's no sleeves on the cloak and the sides of the vest are cut out. It's also some U.S. level 3 body armor

The mask has a functional microphone and voice modulator routed to an on board mini guitar amp or to the pa

AxeHappy and lewis like this.
  20. neun Arme

neun Arme SS.org Regular

Sounds pretty cool, do you plan on recording something ?