Etherial Guitars

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jkiernanguitar, Jan 5, 2013.

1. SilentCartographer

SilentCartographer Creator as Observer

ew..buzz your girlfriend.. woof

marcwormjim likes this.
  2. 7JxN7

7JxN7 SS.org Regular

I'm not usually someone that suffered from any sort of OCD, but everytime I see a pic of that curved fan fret thing, it makes me shudder a little.

I actually asked the guy who owns it about how it intonates, and his reply was "buddy as long as the bridge is properly set up, and the fret spacing is calculated meticulously (which is the case here), it can intonate."

.......hahahahaha

The fret intervals higher up the fretboard on the lower strings, and also the the area around the middle of the fretboard for the more central strings just look like they would play so out of tune

3. asher

asher So Did We

Built in microtonal scale dude. It's a feature, not a bug.

Goes with the thumb tessellation.

4. 7JxN7

7JxN7 SS.org Regular

Im more looking at the orientation between the bridge and nut, and where those points on certain frets correspond across a few strings. It does not in anyway look like the ratio between frets is being followed. Microtonal or not, I doubt some of those frets would be in tune with what they are suppose to be, But I'm just taking this from the few pics I have seen

5. ormsby guitars

ormsby guitars SS.org Regular

The guy never even intimated a guitar until late last year when I called him out on that in this thread. So, as he's obviously watching: 'put function over form. Learn to build before you try to innovate. Stop wasting people's money. Learn when to tell a client he has no clue, rather than just build it'

Oh. And get Brandon's guitar done. Three rebuilds because the bodies keep warping means you have no clue about how to select timbers.

cwhitey2 and Dcm81 like this.
  6. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Asher was cracking a joke, dude...

7. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

Good lord those frets are awful! xD

8. 7JxN7

7JxN7 SS.org Regular

@ Emperor Guillotine, yeah I got that man hahaha.

I was more venting my frustration at the reply I got from the dude that owns the guitar. However poorly communicated my response was, I now see.

9. Tommy Deaks

Tommy Deaks SS.org Regular

From the Etherial signature artist's FB page:

"Mohanish Deshmukh Gene Cole: All I can say is this; Matthew knows how to make quality guitars.

The sound and playability on this one get full marks from me. Yes, it is different from anything I have played before... And takes a few days to become completely natural to you, but once you get over that hump, the positives of this beaut's design start kicking in.

I really like the feel of the neck, but i guess its because Matthew and I sat and designed this baby down to every minor detail (every little inch has been thought out and is by my preference in guitaring feel... unless where Matthew had better ideas).

Sir if you can wait for some time... I will have a few clips and the works for your aural pleasure."

Stockholm syndrome? Good lord.

10. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

^Perhaps, or some form of confirmation bias. Maybe that's why so many people get scammed with customs: the idea of your guitar built to your specs just for you creates a kind of hubris (as a collaborator, not a customer) that perhaps delays or clouds one's ability to realize that something isn't right in time. Good builders make it a positive part of the experience, and on the other side, well... best case scenario is that you have a Klingon-wang guitar.

11. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp SS.org Regular

Edit.. deleted

12. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

^ Kind of unnecessary.

13. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp SS.org Regular

I edited.. thought that was a band name
    Apologies if ioffended. Not the intention

14. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Woops, honest mistake there man. No need to fret. ;) (pun intended)

15. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

DISCLAIMER: I READ ALL 63 PAGES BEFORE POSTING.
    Sincerely hope y'all rise from the crypts of internet hell for another conversation.....
    Wow here goes....
    I saw Etherial Guitars and I wanted one.
    Just dove right into the custom process. I had Matt draw up a 6 string bass with a kahler tremolo and a fanned fret system that is micro in nature instead of around and inch and a half about a quarter inch in scale length change. It's based off of NOYANs 9 string. I have been waiting for 19months.... I wanted to know those with builds how long did you wait???? Matt is telling me now a month from completion. Let's all sit down and have a visit aye? I'd be honored to accept your scrutiny and ridicule as I await it's arrival and prepare for a nightmare hoping for what I paid for...

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

a fanned fret 6 string bass with a trem, can't say I've ever seen something like that. :scratch: Let us know if you got a shitplank or not when you get it. The optimist in me believes that even etherial can eventually make a good playable guitar, though the pessimist in me thinks you'll probably get a nice shiny/pointy shitplank.

Wizardtac likes this.
  17. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Looks super cool! I really hope this works out for you...

19 months is really not very long for something at the level this is supposed to be. Most full custom guitars with options like this take 1.5 - 2 years in general. How long did he say it would take? Most luthiers tend to quote you the time it'll take if the minimum number of things go wrong with the project, and then it takes 2-3 times as long because they end up really worrying about little details, so it can be a good sign sometimes, although with Etherial in general, I really don't know if that concept applies.

Matt's had some time and experience now, so maybe he's able to deliver.

Wizardtac likes this.
  19. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular

I absolutely agree with everything you've said here, and I am optimistic for sure. I was told 8-12 months on the wait time. I did ask for a thing or two to change throughout the build but nothing that ever constituted a rebuild or anything. I know that what he wants to do is put out quality work. Whether he has in the past or not (there's 63 pages of scrutiny) But I paid it up and my bass should be at the helm of his work after all the backlash. Where talking years have gone by I will be fully open about my experience as it develops here. Non Bias on how the instrument plays with videos and pictures. For science........
    I feel like I owe it to this thread after reading Etherial Guitars Volume: One here in the forum.

20. Wizardtac

Wizardtac SS.org Regular