ESP vs. Caparison? Let me hear some input!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by RLG167, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I had the opportunity to play the yellow one same as Eklund plays, it was okay, I guess. Not a bad guitar, but way overpriced, an ESP standard was the same grade and half as cheap. (Then)
    I now own a few ESPs including an Original, the latter one is on the top of the food chain and if I had to pay 6K I would go that way again. (No, I didn't pay it that price, it was for sale for 2K new when I got it, guess high end 27" baritones don't sell well)

2. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Thanks for all the input guys! I guess for now if one pops up locally I'll try it, otherwise I'm really GASing for one now (funny how that works, isn't It?) So if I find a newer one for an exceptionally good price I may get it and if I don't like it I'll sell it. As far as what I'm comparing them to, my ESPs in my collection are a '98 MX, EII MK1 and MIJ Edward's Mystique (which feels very similar to my MK1) now I do have Gibsons too that I play a lot, but I'm sure you guys will tell me a Caparison will play better haha

3. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

This comment brought me back to 2nd grade!

4. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Haha he's a cool dude. It was more like, we were sitting around jamming on it and started talking about Amaranthe and how their guitarist uses Caparison and he was telling me how great his were, and how they could smoke my ESPs in terms of playability

5. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

I've owned a couple of each at similar used price points and the Caparisons are a little more my speed. The ESPs were both excellent instruments but I like the necks of Caparisons better. The same team that developed the Japanese tooth-paste Charvel guitars from 89-91 founded Caparison so if you've ever played a 475 Deluxe or a 650XL then you'll have an idea of what to expect. I love 'em and I'm lucky enough to live 10 minutes drive from one of the few Caparison dealers in Canada so I've had a chance to play more than a few. Trying out a Caparison before buying it can be tough but the necks are all handmade so it's worth taking a test run. On the bright side, they retain their value quite well so if you pick one up used and don't care for it you should be able to resell easily enough.

Failing that, grabbing a toothpaste Charvel is a great option!

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  6. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

So apparently The Music Zoo is a Caparison dealer and they're only about a 2.5hr drive from me, next time I get the chance I'll take a trip down there to try some. I was just talking to a buddy of mine who used to be a dealer, he said when he dropped them a few years back the quality was going down and the prices were going way up and that they're about equal to a pro series jackson. So my hopes aren't very high but it's worth trying some out

7. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

I get it, but when I jam with bros they usually say they "prefer brand X", not shit on my gear. Not getting serious, but I think it's funny.

8. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

The eternal debate over which $2k+ guitar is better. I've heard some bad stories about QC from Caparison, but that was quite a while ago.

I mostly like the TAT models, but I'm a neck through superstrat guy "through and through." As a Jackson Soloist fan, how could I not like that model? The comparison to pro-series Jacksons I get, since it's the same people who made the old Charvel and Jackson MIJ imports.

I'm in the "play it and decide" camp. So many of the things in this price range that differentiate models and makers are down to personal preference.

Flappydoodle and AxeHappy like this.
  9. Darkscience

Darkscience SS.org Regular

Dude come on. You work at a guitar store and you are going to believe this crap your coworker is feeding you about his guitar playing much better than your ESP? ESP is one of the best made guitars in the WORLD, this would make Caparison god like, (something internet reviews say otherwise).

Also you mention your guitar is BRAND NEW! Your just suffering from GAS

10. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

3-4K?!

They’ve definitely increased in price since I found out about them in the early 2000s.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

ESP and I’m not even going to dignify this further.

possumkiller and Dineley like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

I own a Japanese esp and did own a dellinger II. as others have mentioned caparison went through a rough patch in 2008 when they had some financial difficulty and this caused some duds around that time. sadly mine was one of these, played great but no resonance and sounded shit regardless of pickup swaps.

In terms of playability it was like for like with the esp.

They have sorted these issues now for sure and anything from about 2013 on that I have played has been phenominal

Element0s likes this.
  13. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

Your friend is a BS artist...lol sounds like a classic “I can top that” story

14. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

How far back would you say they're good? If I found an older model for example

15. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

I mean, I trust his opinion, we have similar taste in a lot of guitars, one of my other coworkers who had one also told me today how it's a league above anything else he's played. If people are saying that, regardless of weather or not it's exaggerated I think it's worth trying.
    I love my new ESP as much as my other ESPs, just wondering if it's worth trying a Caparison

16. narad

narad SS.org Regular

It is worth trying, but it's very subjective. I think I've owned 4 Caparisons -- Tats, horuses, and angeluses. I would not give them the praise your coworker does. My j-custom crushed all of them, in basically every category.

Caparisons were the first guitar I ever had where the electronics stopped working and I had to go in and resolder a connection. And then they were also the brand of the second guitar where I had to do that. My worst case of fret sprout was a Caparison. I had a Caparison arrive new with a chip in the binding. Plenty of QC issues with Jacksons too, so maybe they're just carrying on that heritage ;-)

So might you prefer a Caparison over an ESP? Sure. The feel is totally different. But your friend is nuts for not tempering his recommendation with the reality of preference in $2k+ guitars being a largely subjective thing. For someone working at a guitar store that's just appallingly dumb of him to say.

17. possumkiller

possumkiller Goose stepping in front of a mirror

Once you own a custom shop ESP you won't care.

18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

To clarify, I've played Caparisons as recent as 2017, though it could have been a 2016 build.

It was a Dellinger II with a tag for ~$2200 on it.

It was in no objective way better than a common ESP, and that includes $1500 E-II models.

Perhaps thier $4k ones are better, but so are ESP USA models.

19. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I love my Caparison TAT, but I bought it used for less than 2K after being unwilling to pay new or run prices for one. Take that how you will.

It does fucking shred though.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  20. silverabyss

silverabyss

The only thing cool about Caps are the clocks and sponge finishes, ESP Custom Shop kills them otherwise

You ever notice how the Cap mania cooled off here once Engage got banned :lol:

feraledge and steinmetzify like this.