ESP Owners Club-Show Us Your ESPs!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Church2224, Feb 15, 2012.

1. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

It's basically "let's trade $3000 for $1500" which makes me worried what "luthiery" might have gotten involved. That torture chamber might have given the MX PTSD.

2. feraledge

double

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  3. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

True, that EXP has me leery of anything he's selling. BUT, if we got some good pictures and it is indeed untouched, then that's a steal. Maybe dude just really wants a Thunderhorse idk, but that's a crappy deal on his side.

This whole situation of that butchered EXP and then coming up with an MX reminds me of that quote from dumb and dumber: "Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Mathemagician and feraledge like this.
  4. feraledge

I mean, no guitar deserves that, but if I'm going to throw a guitar in the line of fire for an ESP, best believe Gibson is right behind Dean (and yes, he has "modified" Dean Customs too).

Womb raider likes this.
  5. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

Then again, the MX is only worth that much to an ESP die hard. To most Gibson guys, they would just be like "why would I want a clone of an '84 when I can just buy the Gibson for that much"

MX is on my bucket list for sure, just not at the bloated import prices. And the banana headstock ESPs are the nicest looking headstock. Yea, I said it.

6. feraledge

AND a Metallica die hard. That price fluctuates a little bit, but EXP/MX love is going nowhere. Considering it's an iconic Hetfield guitar, that they're the biggest band in metal and one of the biggest bands in rock means that the competition amongst collectors is enough to keep that price fairly high.
    That said, I want it too. It's easily the first non-Fender/Gibson guitar that I ever identified with.

skewkus13 and Womb raider like this.
  7. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

I think most of the kids growing up with Metallica nowadays identify with his Eclipses, Snakebytes and Vultures. All very nice ESP specimens indeed, but it ain't no MX220/250. The MX love is for the older guys like you and me. Coupled with the fact Japan won't let you custom order one outside of the country because of lawsuit issues, it's damn hard to find one without selling a kidney.

Blytheryn likes this.
  8. feraledge

POTENTIAL BUYERS BEWARE!!
    Just to preserve this here for the unwitting "local private sale" that might occur:
    http://sevenstring.org/threads/esp-mx.325202/

This headstock drew a LOT of questions:
    [​IMG]
    The claim is that "polish" got under the clear coat and eroded the logo. Claims you can't feel any weak spots in the clear.
    [​IMG]
    From this angle, the waterslide looks like it's laid in two angles.
    It's in an LTD case, has HZs, logo is in the wrong position, no CoA... When asked about the inconsistencies in condition between the FS thread and NGD post and then asked for additional pictures (back of headstock and neck pocket) said he was insulted and then closed the FS thread.
    There's good reason to believe this is a rebranded LTD being sold by someone we know has butchered guitars AND has stuck "ESP Custom" logos on Standard Series guitars before.
    Also, in the NGD post didn't want to say the price he paid, but mentions that it was really low. Then tried to trade this guitar for a Gibson that's half the value. None of this adds up well.
    If you happen to be after this guitar, I'd be looking for some serious authentication first.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Anytime someone claims to be offended by a request for more information they’re usually full of shit. That was the Bernie Madoff sales team go-to “Why would we provide evidence of his performance? He’s amazing and you’re not worth it.”

feraledge likes this.
  10. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

In addition to feraledge's post, seller did backtrack that it indeed was not an MX, rather, an EXP which is a huge difference (like $1,500 difference). To many, these will look the same, but there are differences that set these two apart. Most obviously are the set-neck (MX) vs bolt on (EXP) and ebony fretboard (MX) vs rosewood on the EXP. Also, the rarity of an MX is far greater than that of an EXP which is why many collectors are after them.
    Either seller was trying to pass the EXP off as an MX, or he just did not plain know. Either way that was a red flag. Not trying to bag on the seller, but he needs to be upfront about what it is he has so it's a fair transaction on both ends.

11. feraledge

Blytheryn likes this.
  12. arasys

arasys SS.org Regular

I guess someone needed cash for financing ENGL marty friedman amp or for wall painting service.. But that ESP logo and him not showing the back of the headstock made it too obvious. I hope he won't try to sell it on other forums. Thanks for the heads-up

By the way.. the way that EX was butchered made me sad. I am sure that Jackson kelly's truss rod cover is one of those $13.99 "custom shop" covers sold on ebay *vomits*

13. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scooped All The Mids

14. feraledge

15. Dawn of the Shred

Thank you man!! I actually sold the holt guitars to get a few explorers. Les Paul’s and Hetfield looking explorers are what I’m after.

Blytheryn likes this.
  16. feraledge

Ha! That's some straight @Blytheryn moves!

Blytheryn and Dawn of the Shred like this.
  17. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Holy shit, I’m being outdone!?! That’s a SICK MX250!

Dawn of the Shred likes this.
  18. Dawn of the Shred

Thanks man!!! So apparently we are liking the same guitars heheh.

Blytheryn likes this.
  19. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

It’s hard not to, man!

By the way, I’m 95% certain that my eventual introduction to the ESP Custom Club will be via a Sammy Duet style Random Star with white sparkle flake crackled over a holographic base, a single mounted humbucker, maple board and inverse dagger stock. With the logo in holographic. Absolutely RAGING gas.
    [​IMG]

20. Dawn of the Shred

Damn!! That would be awesome man! I have a few more ESP Explores On the way to my door. Also got to get the new MKH Snowfall Les Paul, even though it’s not a ESP.

Blytheryn likes this.