ESP NAMM 2019 thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 12, 2018.

1. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I think I know what you mean: "dude owns ZERO Horizon Devices pedals."
    #havefunwithit

JimF and Hollowway like this.
  2. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

At the end of our lives in our death-bed, when we grab our most precious guitar to play it one last time and then suddenly there is a dead spot on the fretboard...then we will die in agony regretting our life decisions and asking why the hell did we cheap out and bought nickel frettet guitars.
    And to add to that we are even forcing our inherits to bring the guitar to a luthier.

You don't wanna screw up your last minutes on this plantet, do you?

arasys, broj15, Hollowway and 4 others like this.
  3. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

It's just a matter of preference. The "artists do not play what I like so I should not play it or like it either" argument does not make sense IMO, we are all different.

Also, I would not put it as spoiled if the guitar is not given for free. If you are spending your money on any product, you have the right to be specific in what you like and what you want out of it. If a brand does not offer what you like, it's easy to just buy another brand that does.

4. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

I have a guitar with SS frets and they’re great. My beef is when a post comes across as essentially dismissing a guitar/brand as crap because it’s short one feature, OR when someone says “brand X is FINALLY doing Y”, when said “Y” has only been widely introduced to production a handful of years ago.

When I got into this game 25 years ago import guitars had cheap, unbranded everything and were still relatively expensive (in today’s money). The features readily available on mid-to-low level guitars have come a really long way. Maybe I’m just so used to modifying everything I buy (even acoustics) that not much phases me.

Eh, I probably come across as equally dismissive.

5. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

THIS, THIS, OH SO FUCKING THIS.

I've been saying for awhile now that many guitars get shit on unfairly because of ONE unpleasing aspect and it's usually very small. "MY GAWDZ, AMAZING GUITARS, GLAD IT'S NOT BLACK OR WHITE, BUT IS THATZ A 12TH FRET INLAY?! SHIT GUITAR! WOULDN'T LET MYSELF BE CAUGHT DEAD WITH IT AND IF MY WIFE PLAYED IT, I'D MURDER HER AND EAT HER CORPSE!"

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Lol. Or when an artist gets a signature model and only puts their name on the headstock or even the back of the headstock and people get up in arms of the artist wanting their mark on their signature model.

It’s the most eye roll inducing thing ever to hear grown adults say “I just can’t bond with a guitar that has someone else’s signature like that, it doesn’t feel like it’s mine.”

But then they own a fucking Les Paul, or you know - any guitar ever as it has the manufacturers logo all over it.

“This guitar is perfect in ever way down to the radius of the tone knob, but on the back of the headstock it says “John Smith” so it’s trash.”

Mind you I dislike giant 12th fret inlays as much as the next guy. Mostly cause they are on otherwise simple guitars. Like when a band just puts a decal on the body of an Ltd/Schecter single cut and it’s called a signature model.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I mean, I'd rather have no signature or inlays or any of that shit.

But at the same time I'm proudly rocking a guitar with Stephen Carpenter's signature inlaid on the guitar's fretboard, so I can manage. :lol:

setsuna7, Solodini and Mathemagician like this.
  8. feraledge

Since we're grumpin' around, what's everyone's beef with goddamn inlays? Best when used in moderation, but I strongly prefer them.

setsuna7, Masoo2 and Mathemagician like this.
  9. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

I can take or leave them, usually just depends on what suits the aesthetic - plus I like variety.

That said, I’ve gone through nearly all of the phases:
    1. Dots suck, sharkfins are cool
    2. Fins suck, blocks are cool
    3. Everything sucks, blank is where it’s at
    4. Offset dots are cool, everything else sucks
    5. Dots are cool, as are blocks and even fins (but not all at once).

EDIT: At this point I guess I like seeing the classics on each brand they’re associated with. Schecter also did a nautical star a few years back that I thought was pretty cool.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    mlp187, Masoo2, Solodini and 3 others like this.
  10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I can’t see without inlays on the board. Big dots and offset dots are just fine for me. Shark fins/fun inlays like lightning bolts are cool AF too. I’ve sold two maple FB guitars because they were blank and I just could not deal.

11. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I don't care for the shark-teeth inlay that Ibanez had to design so they could claim they weren't ripping off everyone else; but after that I tend to go: dots, sharkfins, piranha (just small offset sharkfins), and then trapezoid (which are only done on Gibsons/Epiphones anyways).

I'm absolutely lost without them, so blank boards are always out for me

Solodini and Mathemagician like this.
  12. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Weirdly enough, I'm fine with inlays when they color match the board wood. I never really liked Ibanez sharkfins because I usually associate them with "white on poo-color rosewood". The only ones that really annoy me are the ESP logo at the 12th fret because they're just not aesthetic at all. A rectangle with the brand name. It's already written on the headstock ffs.
    Otherwise they're pretty useless to me, side dots are what I use if I'm lost. So I'm just in for the aesthetics. Dots are fine too. Artful inlays, it depends on the actual art. I obviously love the one on my Amfisound (I could hear the cries of the builder from Finland all the way to Ireland when I sent him the picture) but overdone stuff like the PRS dragon isn't my thing.

Solodini likes this.
  13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I like blank fretboards by default, or offset inlays. Offset dots with Ibanez/Schecter, offset blocks with ESP, or offset sharkteeth with Jackson.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

I usually don't have a problem with inlays, except for the godawful gothic crosses that schecter used for a long time, or the hideous sperm inlays that kiesel offers. Those are the only ones that make me want to burn the whole guitar. I don't really like block inlays or flag inlays either but I can tolerate them.
    Anymore my preference lies towards either no inlays at all, or maybe dots/sharkfins, depending on the guitar.

Solodini and Millul like this.
  15. The906

The906 RGART Contributor

Fins are cool, offsets are cool, plain dots are pretty lame. No inlays is perfectly fine with a decent piece of wood. I default to side dots for reference.
    When I ordered my TL60 with BEM board, NIN! No regerts.

16. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

I'd err away from the overly ornate inlays, and I'm personally fine without front facing as I personally navigate by side dots, if I'm lost, but I can see how bigger stuff would be really helpful, not just onstage but for people with limited vision, too. I don't think we should just throw out all inlays that aren't delicate little works of art, as a result, as an inlay betrays its functional purpose if people who need it to navigate visually can't see it due to it being too small. I think bigger, blockier stuff is fine, and we can easily add some little flourishes, angled lines like parallelagrams or asymmetric trapezoids with offset strike-throughs or something to make things aesthetically pleasing.

17. feraledge

I never remember my dreams, but I had one this morning that I was in some hall at a GC and it had a bunch of NAMM shit in it. I was super stoked because ESP did a customizable MIK line (a la Balaguer) and started with a 90s tribute Horizon (cockstock and bolt on) that was priced around $1000. I was taking pics for this forum while trying to hide my excitement from my wife, again in the dream.
    I realized immediately upon waking up three things;
    1) If I needed a sign that I have a problem with being a gear nerd, there it is.
    2) ESP should totally do this, but it was only after I woke up that I realized their shorthand on the headstocks for this new "LTD Standard" line was STD. :lol::lol::lol:
    3) Goddamn you NAMM, bringing out the super nerd in me. Not that it was far beneath the surface.

A-Branger, Solodini, setsuna7 and 8 others like this.
  18. Trashgreen

Trashgreen SS.org Regular

19. Trashgreen

Trashgreen SS.org Regular

20. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."