Hey, all! I've been lurking here for almost a year with nothing to contribute.....until now! Around a year ago I came across a used early model 607B for pretty cheap so I snagged that up. I've never been a huge fan of black guitars so I really wanted to strip it down, paint/stain/alter it. The problem was that was my only 7 string and I very well can't be guitar-less for the time it would take to finish it. A few weeks ago I found an RG1527 for a decent price, bought that, and now I'm here. My original plan was to first sand down the paint and sealer to bare wood and paint it white. I've never had a white guitar and I think they look pretty slick. However, I'm a sucker for natural finishes (like most people on here), so that's always an option (depending on what the wood looks like--I'm not holding my breath). I want to put some black hardware on it if I do end up going with the white. If I go natural, I really don't know yet. We'll get to that later though. I also want to replace the fretboard. One, the SRC inlay is ugly. Two, the SRC inlay is ugly. And three, the SRC inlay is UGLY! I can't stand that stupid smiley face staring at me while I play. I'll go ahead and apologize in advance for the crappy iPhone pics. It's all I have right now. I actually started this two nights ago at like 2 AM but I'm just now getting around to posting it. That being said, Say goodbye, hardware. Goodbye, hardware! I took everything off but the bridge bushings and the string ferrules and put them in a cigar box for safe keeping. I was considering leaving all the pressed in fittings in until I could find a way to safely remove them, but I got impatient and wanted them out now. I'd seen someone drop a broken drill bit in the bushing hole and screw the post in there to force it out, but alas, I didn't have anything that would fit in the hole. Not going to be done in by a little piece of metal, I went to brainstorming and this is what I came up with. I threaded it in as far as it would go, took it out, rolled up more paper, jammed it down there again, and screwed it in again. We have liftoff! A couple more spirals of paper and viola! I didn't take any pictures of removing the ferrules. I just cut a coat hanger and tapped them out. Not very interesting, I know. Since I will be replacing the fretboard, I figured I should get rid of the binding. I took tons of pictures, but it was around 4 AM and the lighting sucked so none of them turned out that well. I had an X-Acto knife lying around so I just tried to get inside between the fretboard and binding. I started with the treble side. The first few frets and last few frets were the biggest pain in the ass. Everything in between was cake (once I figured out the best way to do it, haha). Here you can see the treble side complete and my awesome paw print sweatpants. It's interesting to note that the slots were cut really deep. There's only around 1 mm of wood between the neck and the bottom of the fret slots. You're crazy if you think my phone would take a decent picture of that, but you can kind of see it here. I moved on to the bass side, but encountered a problem with the side markers. They were glued through the binding and into the fretboard, so I kept breaking the binding off every two frets. Not so much a problem as it was annoying starting a new splice. As the sun was just beginning to rise, I decided I should get some sleep. Today was my day off, so I woke up early (noon) and walked to the hardware store for some supplies. For some reason, LA decided to be a bitch and be cold all day. My first day off in a month and it's cold. Awesome.... My roommate told me to fix my car (hence why I walked to Home Depot) instead of work on this guitar today, but I'm sure of all people, you guys will agree with me that this must be done. Since my car is out of commission in the garage, the only logical choice is to do it inside. This is actually Workshop Version 2. The first was a trash bag tossed under the chair I was sitting on. That got messy fast. I took my time to make clean up a little easier on me. As you can see, I started a bit on the body. Safety first! The hat wasn't really necessary. The respirator....yes. I got a ton of sandpaper. Some for this, and a bunch for other stuff around the house. I had a sanding block already, so I loaded it with a sheet of 80 grit and got to work. Starting on the back: Tummy bevel: For some reason, I passed up a $30 orbital sander at HD today. "No, I can do it by hand!" I said. I'm still kicking myself. Although I probably wouldn't have been able to do it in my living room. Eh, can't win 'em all. Starting on the front. I got all the binding off. One less thing to worry about. This is where I stopped. I didn't realize the time and had to cut it short there. I realize that I still haven't sanded through the sealer. I still have to sand the paint off the sides, neck, and headstock too, so I can wait on the sealer until I get all that done. I plan on regularly updating this as I make more progress. It's not going to be a super speedy refinish, but I promise I'll work on it in my free time and days off.