ESP Horizon NT-II DSB

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by feraledge, Oct 11, 2012.

1. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

An ESP Horizon is one of the first guitars that I held that really felt like a work of art. That's held true on nearly every Horizon that I've played and certainly for the one that I owned.

Maple neck through body with mahogany wings and a really nicely quilted maple top. 24 frets, 25.5" scale and an ebony fretboard with a thin U neck profile. The dark brown sunburst just makes this look classy. Toggle over blade switch? Love it.

Pros:
    Sound is perfect. These come stock with Seymour Duncan JB/59s, but I'm not a fan of those. I think they have a little twang to them that I can't overlook. I put in an EMG 81/60 set and loved it. Possibly the smoothest sound I've gotten from any of my EMG loaded guitars.
    The maple neck gives it an edge that pairs amazingly with the depth of the mahogany. Best of both worlds for tech and chording.
    I have no question about this guitars solidness and reliability. Did not fail me and I have friends who put this model through hell on the road and it stood strong.
    The thin U neck feels right on this guitar. I love Jackson's speed neck profile and the thin flat neck profiles, but the thin U on a Horizon or Eclipse feels right for the guitar. I did sand the back down to matte and it made the neck so fast it's ridiculous.

Cons:
    Gotoh locking tuners, I'm not a fan. I know other people love them, but I love the thumbwheel types more. If it's a locking tuner, it should be a quick and easy change. When touring I change strings every 2 shows and I like to do that quickly. Using two hands on the tuner end negates the purpose of being a locking tuner in my opinion. I'm not docking the guitar for it, that's a personal preference really, but just airing it.
    For the life of me, I can't figure out why ESP can put a locking Tonepros bridge on a 1000 series LTD and not a Standard Series ESP. It defies logic in my opinion. I made the change, but I did so begrudgingly. For the price tag of an ESP, they can spring for the locking bridge. Even Jackson is putting them on their X series guitars and it might be the most expensive part on the guitar.

Quips:
    The Euro market has a flamed maple top option and it is one of the sickest looking guitars on earth. Why that's not available in the states is beyond me. They also have more wood options that I'd love to see. You can shred on this guitar, but the alder body/maple neck through one is probably a serious shredder.

I love this guitar. And I wish I didn't have to sell it... :wallbash:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Darkened

Darkened SS.org Regular

I feel you bro. I have mine over a year and still love her like in the beginning.

3. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

I sold mine to fund another purchase. But it was a great guitar. I had the same finish on mine. It looks like good whiskey. I just loved it. But I got GAS and the rest is history :D

4. Darkened

Darkened SS.org Regular

Good that you are happy with your choice :) I have a blue one with passive humbs, but every horizon is lovely :D