Ernie Ball or D'Addario

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by texturedhead, Sep 14, 2016.

1. texturedhead

texturedhead Kadman

I used to use Ernie Ball seven string super slinky (10) before and when I came back to Mumbai, India had no choice but to use D'Addario cause of unavailability.
    Has anyone used both pairs and found a considerable difference in them? If so can someone explain the exact difference? Would really appreciate some information on this.
    :hbang:

2. Moltar

Moltar SS.org Regular

Ive used both for years(Slinky and XL nickel wound). I like them both equally but they do seem slightly different. The D'addario strings seem maybe a touch brighter I think and the Ernie Ball strings sound a bit thicker to me(maybe just the lack of high end), but I still quite like Ernie Ball's. My problem is that Ernie Ball does not make an 11-56 set which I use regularly on a few guitars. They have an 11-54 and a 12-56 but I don't want either of those, I want 11-56...

Both good strings though just personal taste I think.

3. texturedhead

texturedhead Kadman

I got their 11 to 58. Going to try that out. Could be an option for you. Thanks for your reply! I'm going to get back to Ernies for a bit and see how that works out.

4. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

I have used mostly Ernie Ball or GHS Thick-core boomers in past years, but I've played around with the XL's and found them to be actually more 'slinky' than Slinkys :lol:

By that I mean they seemed to be more flexible/bend friendly. I can't really explain why as they are the exact same alloy and wind, that was just the feeling I got after using a few packs of the XL's. Maybe the way they stretch/temper the wire is a bit different, but if there is a real difference it's pretty subtle.

5. texturedhead

texturedhead Kadman

Yeah I keep hearing the same about the difference being very subtle. Thanks for the reply!

6. Sunyata

Sunyata Bro Story Cool

IMO D'addario are way nicer feeling/sounding. More snappy, bright, fresh, clean etc etc. I didn't even use ernie ball strings on my EBMMs.

7. texturedhead

texturedhead Kadman

Have you used them before to draw this comparison? Just curious.

8. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

I've recently been on quest to try every brand of string around.

It's been fun and a cool learning experience!

From my findings I must say Ernie Balls and D'addario's are the Coke and Pepsi of the guitar string world.

I find them to be pretty different and find most other strings to be comparable or relatable to one of them. Almost like a lot of the other brands kind of copy cat one of the two.

Anyway, I think it is a preference! Here is my best shot at comparing them.

I find tone wise D'addario is a tad brighter and sharper. But I find Ernie Balls are a bit warmer and well rounded. I think overall Ernie Balls have a bigger and more "Boomy" sound.

I think feel wise is also noticeable at least for me. I find D'addario feels almost a little thinner and snappier when playing. Where Erine Balls feel a tad thicker and fuller.

This is terribly hard to put into words Haha :lol:

Anyway, I hope this helps! I think you should try both back to back and find out for yourself!

Personally I use neither, but if I had to, I'd go for Ernie Ball!

9. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

^this

10. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

I recently started using D'addario NYXL strings on my 7. Sounds great and lasts longer than EB, and im a longtime user of those.

...still use the EB "skinny top, heavy bottom" sets on my 6's though :)

11. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Have used many string brands over the years, but never tried the Ernie Ball actually...

Was used to Dean Markley regular and Blue Steel for a while now using the D'Addarios... NYXL are adding just a tad of welcome brightness for the nervous metal player :shred:

12. texturedhead

texturedhead Kadman

Thanks a lot man! I'm going to give it a shot.

13. texturedhead

texturedhead Kadman

Sweet! I've heard from people here as well as others that EB sort of make the tone a little bit meatier and is a little more bright. Might help me with my Dactivator7s on my Blackjack. Thanks for the reply!

14. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Never really understood the hype for slinkys.

Every time I decide to give them a try one more time I get disappointed. More like a "meh" I dont feel them wrong, but I dont feel them any better either. But, I do feel they go into "rust" far more quickly than others I tend to play.

I always think they should be the holly grail due to the huge artist line up they have for them. But then remember those artist have their strings change after every gig just because they can. So for me who I tend to hold longer to strings for laziness and $$ all the big name artist backing up the strings brand/model means nothing to me anymore

Still happy with my Elixirs for both my bass and guitar

15. texturedhead

texturedhead Kadman

Point noted! Thanks for replying!

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Most companies don't make 9.5 or 11.5 gauges which always keep me coming back to D'addario. I've tried a lot of brands but they've always had the best combination of tone, feel, stability and string life.

17. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

The difference is not much but I feel EB sounds livelier about the first two weeks but rusts easily (I've seen 10+ packs that already have brown spots from Day 1. D'addarios last longer and stay more consistent.

18. Sunyata

Sunyata Bro Story Cool

Of course. Many, many times on many different guitars. D'addario ALWAYS felt noticeably great once they were on. EB strings just felt "new" without any of the superlatives mentioned earlier.

19. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I've tried all strings but have been consistently using d'addario for around 20+ years. I find them bright and snappy. Plus they have some really cool ga's.

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I find the Ernie Ball stuff I've tried didn't last very long- sounded pretty dead pretty quickly, which sucks for me cause I don't change strings quite as often as I probably should.

I recently tried NYXL on a strat, and liked them. Previous strings on that one were Fender strings though (when I bought the strat, the previous owner only used Fender everything, I think- straps, strings, etc., so it came with a few packs of Fender strings that I haven't used up yet). NYXL just felt more... substantial than the Fender strings. I'd have rather compared the XL to the NYXL, to really see the difference. Maybe next time. I'm considering trying out the nyxl version of the xl110-7 pack I usually use.

I usually use:
    D'Addario for guitar
    XL110 for 6s
    XL110-7 for 7s

GHS for bass
    5M-DYB
    6ML-DYB