Ernie Ball Music Man JP7(s)

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by Donnie, Jun 20, 2005.

1. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

You changed your name also! :scream:

2. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Hey, isn't that Shannon's avatar? :lol:

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm from a rather large italian family down here, too. Next time I'm bored, should I call you up and we can start a gang war? ;)

4. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

Hey hey hey! Get your own avatar! There can only be one purveyor of the mammeries! See? Everyone else here knows it. :lol:

5. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Those are some sweet mammeries in your new avatar! :lol: Where do you find all these hot chicks?! :lol: :lol:
    j/k

6. WayneCustom7

What your a WOP also...no shit, I knew there was a little mandolin influence in your playing...my brotha! :metal:

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

old thread - guilty as charged, and a mandolin influence, eh? I've never picked up on it, but I'll have to start paying attention. :lol:

8. WayneCustom7

Man that's like a month old...hahahahahahaha :lol:

9. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

This guitar is a rip-off. If it wasn't a Petrucci signature no one would care. I can't believe Ernie Ball charges CUSTOM SHOP prices for a cheap basswood/bolt-on maple neck configuration. This guitar is an Ibanez RG7321 with DiMarzio pickups and (sometimes) Piezos.

This guitar may be nice, but considering the price it's a disgrace. For the $1799 or whatever they charge for these you could get a full blown custom shop guitar that destroys this like a Rico Jr.

No offense to anyone who owns this guitar, but you got completely jipped.

10. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

To late.
    I own 2 of the JP7s because I love being jipped. :rolleyes:

A Rico Jr? Pahlease! :D

11. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Ever played one?

12. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

zimbloth - bit of an Ed Roman fan I assume? :lol:

13. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

I should tear into this post and get all snarky but to be honest I don't even know where to begin. With your attitude let's just say I'm glad you don't want one.

14. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Just an update for Dan... the plastic film is still mostly on there. :fawk:

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I happen to rather like the tone of basswood. Sure, my (mahogany) CST owns, but my basswood UV is quite a bit bassier and a bit smoother in the highs, and for certain applications absolutely destroys the CST.

And IMO a well-done bolt-on neck is just as hard if not harder to execute than a set-neck or neck thru, and is a heck of a lot more tweakable. Cheaper? Hardly.

16. telecaster90

telecaster90 Smokestack Lightning Contributor

HAWT.

I played a 6 string version a few weeks ago. It was great!

17. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

Well, I seeing you're making friends fast. :lol:

Uhhhh, wrong.
    • The term "ripoff" is very subjective. After all, another man's junk is another man's treasure. As a person who has owned over 30 7-string guitars ranging from $300-3000, I have found guitars in the $500-1000 range that blew away some of the so-called "superior" guitars in the $2K+ range. Does the price of a guitar bear any merit to its quality? No. However, in the interest of free commerce, guitar companies can charge whatever they want. What you deem as a ripoff may be total acceptable for another. If someone wants something bad enough, they'll pay for it.
    • I don't believe that Petrucci's name has any REAL bearing on the guitar's sales as a whole. Regardless of it being a "signature" guitar, I think plenty of people would care about this guitar. Case in point, my main axe is an ESP Stephen Carpenter (Deftones) Signature SC-607. Did I buy the guitar because I'm a loyal fan of The Deftones? No. In fact, I'm not a fan of them. I bought the guitar because it was a well-crafted instrument that fits my needs. What can I say? Carpenter has excellent tastes in guitars. The JP7 has this same appeal for many people. Where else can you buy a production model 7-string with options for piezos, different inlays, a dozen colors to choose from that come with matching or non-matching headstocks for under $2K? Most custom luthiers would charge much higher. Hell, were it not for Dave Mustaine, you wouldn't even have the King V body style. Prior to him, guitar companies were still making the standard Gibson Flying knockoffs. Last I checked, your KxK 7-string is highly based on the the King V. You may not like Petrucci, but like the King V style you love so much, his signature series is exactly what some guitarists are looking for in an axe. It's just another guitar for consumers to buy, that's all.
    • Having a basswood body and a maple neck hardly qualifies the JP7 as being just an Ibanez RG7321 knockoff. Like many have asked..."How you even played one?" I have actually played one for hours on end. YES & they are worth every penny. Do I think $1650+ is a lot of money? Sure it is. But consider this the next time you question the cost of an instrument...
      "How much was actually invested into the making of this line of guitars?"
      For this guitar, there's...
      1) A fee to pay Petrucci (yes, he had a HUGE hand in the design & deserves this money)
      2) The designing & production of a completely custom non-floating tremolo bridge w/ piezos, custom made pup switches, custom volume/tone knobs, custom Dimarzio pups & custom arm contour. ALL of which can only be found on THIS guitar. A fee will also be paid for the Dimarzios.
      3) Top quality parts including BIRDSEYE maple necks, Schaller locking tuners w/ pearloid tops, mono/stereo outputs.
      4) Also, don't forget about the various Petrucci-approved paint schemes created just for this guitar. Is it a sig series afterall.

This sounds pretty CUSTOM to me & it warrants the custom shop price.

Disgrace, my ass. I've already covered the topic of JP7 pricing above.
    I've established that the JP7 is a custom guitar with plenty of options to choose from. I think you are confusing the difference between a big-time company putting out a custom guitar vs. a smaller specialized company putting out a custom guitar.

Let's do the math...
    • Ernie Ball / Music Man = An established company with a reputation of building reputable quality instruments/amps/accessories/etc. for a wide range of musicians for nearly 50 years. Enough said.
    • Rico Jr. = A company established 5+ years ago from B.C. Rich's kid that puts out custom guitars mainly targeted towards the heavy metal guitarist. Sure, his instruments seem to be of high quality, but he just doesn't have the established reputation like EBMM does.

On the net, I've seen several "custom" Ricos sit at the same store for well over a year now. They haven't moved. Why? Because he just doesn't have the reputation yet. I'm sure they are fine instruments, but you can't expect everyone to just jump ship when they are perfectly happy with an established product that appeals to a wide range of people. Not to mention, Ricos are pretty "genre specific" & therefore, that dwindles their marketability. I'll doubt you'll see a country player using a wildly shaped Rico anytime soon. Bottom line, Rico Jr.'s still got a lot of proving to do.

Noted...but you're wrong. :lol:
    Understand that I'm not attacking you. There's just a lot more under the surface when designing guitars & the marketing of them. You can know consider yourself a better-informed consumer & now there won't be any need for further generalizations or blanket statements such as the one above. ;)

18. VforVendetta00

VforVendetta00 SS.org Regular

well, i have to agree that they are damn expensive, but at least u get a bunch of awesome options for that price, its not like ibanez just slaping a different name and a cheap maple veener and charging 500bucks more for a guitar, or even worse when it comes to a universe compared to a 7620.

19. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

Um... :hbang:

Yeah, this guy's been bothering me with his elitism from his first day on the site. I didn't want to pick a fight though. I figured he'd pick one eventually.

20. gojira

gojira SS.org Regular

ed looks awefully scotish for an all american asshole.......seriously the amount of crap that guy has flooded the net with - unbelievable, and here we have poor zimbloth - repeating every tired word.

monkey see monkey do.