Ernie Ball Music Man JP7(s)

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by Donnie, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

Well, I got my second one today and I finally decided to write up a review of them. And let me say that I'm not good at writing so I'll do my best. :p
    First off, some of the features are basswood bodies, birds eye maple necks, full floating trems with piezos, locking Schaller tuners, 25 1/2" scale, Custom DiMarzios made for John Petrucci(supposedly similar to a Steve's Special), one is Medallion Gold the other is Lava Pearl. The pics of the Lava Pearl one are a little to red. It's really more of a rust color(which you can kind of see in some of the pics), which I love even more! I'll try to get some pics that show the real color of it.
    And I can't forget the kick ass arm contour. It seems to put your arm in the perfect spot.
    Playability. Holy crap do these play nice! The bass player in one of my bands prefers that I play the JP. He swears that I play better on it.
    I have never played a more perfect neck. Very smooth and solid. The fretwork is flawless on both. These guys really pay attention when they put together a guitar. And apparently you can send them back in and get the extra 'pimp job' done on the necks. I don't know how they can get any better.
    I guess they would similar in profile to a wizard neck but maybe a little flatter. It really reminds me of my old Ibanez Prestige RG1527. Deffinately miles above my old RG7620.
    Both of them came pefrectly set up(for my tastes) and perfectly in tune. Not bad for traveling a couple thousand mile in the back of a truck.
    I'm also quite amazed at how well they stay in tune after wailing on the trem.
    Sound. I'm not real good at describing a guitars tone so I'll just say that they sound great! They have a very thick sound. You can go from the cleanest of clean to the most brutal metal tone, no problem. The piezos are some of the best sounding I have heard. Very crisp.
    The finish is one of the most resiliant I have seen. I've had the Medallion Gold one for a few months now and it hardly has any pick scratches on it. It's my main guitar and I play the living shit out of it too.
    Anyway, if I think of anything else, I'll come in and post it. Right now, I'm off to play my new one! :shred:

2. kman

kman lllllll

:eek: I have always loved those guitars, they are so nice. I played the six string version once, they are truly awesome guitars.

3. theunforgiven246

theunforgiven246 BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!

i would love to play on one!

4. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

Bastard :mad: I think I'm going to head down, trade in two of my sixes and knock off a hefty chunk on that JP7 here in town...I really don't play much cept my sevens...so it only makes sense, right? :agreed:

5. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

That all I play anymore.
    You wont get rid of that purple Silo, right? I'd have to inflict bodily harm if you did. Unless, of course, it went to me. :D

6. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

i don't know what i like more...
    ...the pair in Shannon's old avatar, or the pair in your new avatar :bowdown:

that lava pearl is amazing! the other, well, it reminds me of my mom's car (it's the same color) ;)

7. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

And I say "God damn, those look purty!" That's it! I'm getting one as soon as I get the $$$.

8. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

That's what I like best about the Medallion Gold one... It's not really a 'guitar' color. :D

And Shannon... yes, you need one!

9. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

And I had just decided earlier today that my next guitar would be an Ibanez...:lol:

Now I'm back to a lengthy wishlist :lol:

10. Leon

and yeah, as far as playability, when i played that JP6 about a year ago (i still remember it like it was yesterday), the neck and that arm contour are just amazing. they really hit the nail on the head when it comes to an instrument that is as comfortable to play as it is great sounding.

...or maybe we're just both shaped like John Petrucci :p

11. WayneCustom7

WayneCustom7 Paolo Contributor

Do you want it? Cause if you do its yours...

12. FoxMustang

FoxMustang SS.org Regular

I admit it, I'm envious :yesway: I've been saving my pennies for a JP7, gotta have one to go with my JP6.

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Beautiful, bro. Quite the pair, too - would have never guessed you were an Aqua Teen fan, with the ketchup and mustard theme. ;)

("My name is...") ;)

14. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

I know what you mean, my Pet7 has saved me huge money on gas. Everytime I think I've got to get something else I try it out and KNOW that I won't play it enough.

15. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Those Petrucci 7s really do look nice... they have so many sweet colour options available, and the spec sheet looks pretty awesome. The Petrucci 6-string i tried out a while back was amazingly resonant and had a pretty nice neck on it. If i get around to thinning my herd a little, i wouldn't mind having a Petrucci 7 as a "go to" guitar.

16. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

That is gorgeous. Congrats. They compliment eachother. Very nice. :yesway:

17. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

That's the only warning I give to potential EB/MM owners: It's really an addiction. I love my Pet so much the only other guitar I could want is... another Pet. I'm hoping the new prototypes they're working on come together and they offer them in seven string form.

18. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

That's the truth too. :D
    But, I think I may be done for a while.

19. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

Since your new one will be getting all the attention for a while, I think you should send over the gold one so I can test drive it. :hbang:

20. Leon

thanks for quoting all those images. now i have double the GAS when i scroll down through this thread :fawk: ;)