Ergo guitars?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Snorelax, Jun 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Snorelax

Snorelax New Member

Does anybody have any pics of them?

I was looking at some old threads in this forum and they were mentioned a lot, but all of the picture of them are expired and there is no information on their site that I can find about the guitars.

ElRay and halsinden like this.
  2. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

I owned this Ergo 9 for a little while. Przemek had it before me, and I sold it to Leon, who I believe still has it (both 7str.org members).

The worksmanship was pretty good. To my hands, it felt like a little wider version of an old UV7 neck, only significanly longer, obviously. It was really, really comfortable to play, and surpisingly well balanced considering the size of the neck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mattmc74 likes this.
  3. Trespass

Trespass AEADGBEA

That thing looks incredibly badass!

What was the scale, and how was the high B and E string to play on that scale?

4. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 SS Contributor

WOW! Thats a brutal looking guitar! That neck is wide!

5. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

The high B and E were fine... there was obviously a little more sting tension than regular scale, but it was definitely comfortable. I think it probably would have been a little more picky about string gauges at that scale, but I didn't play around with it too much.

6. VforVendetta00

VforVendetta00 SS.org Regular

I got one, and its the best sounding guitar i've played ever, its not the most polished guitar in terms of finish but the fretboard and fretwork is flawless and its just plain awesome.

[​IMG]

thats the only pic i got, next to a carvin 6 string bass i used to have.

7. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Is this the guy who does ErgoInstruments? I have an electric cello by him... it's build quality is pretty good, but the homemade piezo setup is really hard to keep in a good position for string balance.

8. Trespass

Trespass AEADGBEA

How was bends and vibrato? And by that I mean how hampering is the extra tension due to scale

9. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass.

I believe that 9-string was built for Donnie, yes? He had a few Ergos at the time (I think he had a 7, and he had a really odd-looking fanned-fret 6-string).

10. Snorelax

Snorelax New Member

Those look like really cool guitars guys!

Thanks for posting them.

11. techjsteele

techjsteele SS.org Regular

:drool:

DO WANT!!!!

That makes me pine for my 8-string Agile even more.

12. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

ooooo We need pictures of that.

13. nikt

nikt LACS Lover

It had something like 28 3/4inch scale. I've tuned it different then Tom. My tunning was like on standard 8 string but with double high e, with 2 different gauge strings, it was imitating 12string acoustic on cleans very well that way

one more pic
    [​IMG]

Yep, I bought it from Donnie and sold it then to Tom.

It was very cool guitar that sounded great. The EMG was clear, rich sounding and very natural both overdriven and clean.
    Only thing that I didn't liked about it was the finish of the body (would be better with plain color not just dyed wood) and number of frets. For me it was unconfortable in high positions

Donnie had also a blue 6 string ERGO

14. Trespass

Trespass AEADGBEA

Thats really neat. So yeah, the 28 3/4 definitely handled the low F#. Did you try a low C# at 28 3/4?

15. nikt

nikt LACS Lover

No but TMM did, as I remember

16. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

Yeah, I had it tuned C# F# B E A D G B E. The F# alone was about as low as seemed reasonable through a tube amp, because the lower frequencies weren't overdriving the amps I played the same way the upper strings were, with good reason... they weren't meant to be able to reproduce those notes. When played through a PODxt Pro into a tube poweramp, however, that low C# was more than nasty, but I had to add my 1x15 cab for any clarity... definitely in the realm of the brown note :poop:. I never found a good use for notes that low though.

17. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah

Holy moly - looks awesome but how are those frets below the cutout even accessible ?

18. Papa Shank

Papa Shank Be-otch

I had a 9 and a 10, the 9's pickup routing was too far to one side and technically the guitar was never finished (he had some issue getting the pickup and I was impatient so I asked him to send the guitar out without a pickup). I was very pleased with the overall build however and went on to get the 10 but it wasn't really what I wanted in an instrument.

Donnies was always sexy as hell, had mine been properly finished I doubt I'd have then sold it. I have to say in Jesse's defense (if it sounds like I'm downing the guy) that for the money these things are amazing and as he doesn't make them all the time they are quite unique.

19. nikt

nikt LACS Lover

not for my hand ;)

20. Niels

Niels New Member

Tapping? :idea: