Erg tone with 2nd gen peavey vip 2

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Djentlover666, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

I've been struggling with getting a good tone with my 8 string with blackouts ahb 2 pickups, and my 9 string with emg 909 pickups. I know in the manual it says if you have active pickups to turn the guitar volume down but dont like it. I want to try either new passive pickups or just get the joyo zombie (Mesa boogieish) or vivo (5150). I'm just lost and a little discouraged. I keep trying and it's just ok at best. The 8 string does sound better. And my 7 string has just factory passive alnico 5 pickups and I think I like it best.

2. Djentlover666

I just wish I could ask the company's to let me try the gear before I buy it. And when I get the joyo Amps I'll be getting the harley benton 2x12 with v30s in it. I'm just asking to see if the amp is the problem or the pickups.

3. Djentlover666

Another concern with my tone is it sounds kinda fizzy and dark. And my bass is well below half and my treble is almost max, I go between 2 and 4 o'clock. And I'm using a precision drive pedal in front of the amp. Just makes me mad that I have about $2100 worth of gear and I don't like it. Well, that's the 3 guitars the amp and the pedal.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

blackouts are muddy garbage, the 909s suck too. get rid of them.

The906 likes this.
  5. Djentlover666

Go for passives? I was thinking of just replacing the bridges with the agile cepheus passive pickups.

6. KnightBrolaire

yeah i'd recommend going with a medium output pickup. 8 strings don't work well with higher output pickups imo.

Djentlover666 likes this.
  7. Djentlover666

I'm also going to get the harley benton 7 string 18 model fanfret and use a custom set of 10-85 and either use drop b with a low e or drop c with a low f

8. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Not trying to sound mean here, but you're asking way too much from budget gear. Getting a clearly defined tone on a 9 string is a struggle at the best of times, even in a recording studio. You're trying to do it with a $200 modelling combo with a build in no-name speaker.

As @KnightBrolaire said, blackouts are horribly muddy to start with too. I have them in a 7 string and they're muddy there too. They must be awful in an 8.

I advise you to stay away from those Joyo amps. They're doing the rounds on YouTube because they pay for "reviews" and give free amps to the people who are pimping them. IMO they don't even sound particularly good in those paid ads. It's cheap crap from China, and they won't give you any flexibility at all.

You want to look for a decent guitar, with quality pickups (preferably pickups designed with ERGs in mind). Then put that guitar into a quality amp or piece of hardware or software. A pedal isn't going to polish a shit tone into something better. If I were you, I'd sell all the junk, and save up to buy something decent, rather than spending incremental amounts on more stuff you won't be happy with. That approach will cost more in the long run.

You can get an actual 5150/6505 lunchbox head and a 2x12 cab second hand. They're super common, and they sound good. Or, look for an Axe-Fx, Helix, or look at software solutions if you are just jamming at home rather than playing live.

9. Djentlover666

I would like to try the bias but I'm have no idea if buying the scarlet 2i2 is all I need and some monitors or what. I know my amp is part of the problem but, why do people use the blackouts and emgs so much if they aren't good?

10. Djentlover666

And my tone is close to what I want I just want a little more clarity on the fast chugs. I would like the evh 5150 15 watt. or the bugera 6262.

11. Djentlover666

Another thing I've never tried bc I don't know what I'm going. I know it's easy but I just don't want to make my tone worse.

12. KnightBrolaire

One thing to try before replacing the 909 is the 18v mod.

buy a good tube amp from the get go/ or spend some $ on thermionik's complete set and some good IRs (ownhammer, sinmix, rosen digital).
    If you're happy with the amp then by all means change your pickups. The amp will play the biggest part of your sound so that's the most important upgrade.
    good amp>>>>>>>good pickups>>>good guitar
    also if you're buying a scarlett interface, grab the second gen 2i4 or better. The pads are a really useful feature and it has more headroom than the older version

13. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Exactly. You need to stop worrying about keeping buying stuff. In just this thread you've already talked about buying new guitars, new pickups, 3 different amps...

• Think about what sort of sound you want.
    • Think about your purpose (jamming with friends? Full-on gigging? recording at home?)
    • Think about what budget you can afford. Sell stuff you don't need.
    • Then make another thread asking for advice. You'll get much more useful advice that way.

Software works great for home recording, but if you don't own an audio interface and monitors already, that's more stuff you have to buy. It might work out costing more than a decent amp. And to adapt that rig for playing live adds even more expense (FRFR speakers etc).

People use EMG or Blackouts because of sponsorships. And none of the musicians using them are going into $200 practice amps with a 9 string. They're going into high end amps, or an Axe-FX which lets them tweak absolutely everything.