ERG strings and things.....

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by rikomaru, Jan 19, 2017.

1. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

Sources for strings, nuts, saddles, etc. On 7+ string acoustic guitars.. More longwindedness below.. :s

Soooooooooooo I just got my hands on an Ibanez AJ307 (ngd coming soon) and was instantly reminded of an issue with niche instruments like it- strings and accessories are a wee difficult to come by in premafe sets/kits.

My 7 definitely needs new strings.. There's cosmetic dmg on a couple bridge pins as well.. Also, I want to replace the nut and saddle (likely with Tusq) and try to improve the intonation in the process.. That being said, let's hop to it.

Strings are a well-known source of frustration for 7+ string players, especially on the acoustic side.. While there are ways to make your desired set using singles (juststrings.com, stringsandbeyond.com to name a couple), the selection still reminds us of how small our bit of the market really is.. Most manufacturers don't produce 7 string sets, nor singles in gauges suitable to be the 7th with their medium sets.

Nuts and saddles seem nigh pointless to even look for.. Since I want the intonation to be as great as it can be without fanned frets or other more intensive systems/mods, this doesn't really bother me much in this case.. It seems the only option is DIY or have them made custom.

I want this guitar to be the best it can be until I have the dough to order a custom Breedlove.. <3

Please list any alternatives, things I've missed, or other resources you know of.. This conludes my needless ranting.

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Yeah make your own nut or saddle or have it done.
    Afterall, you can't really buy them off the shelf anyway. Slots are always going to need adjusting etc.
    Regarding strings, Stringsbymail is fantastic for stocking obscure stuff. I order custom strings for extended range and alternately tuned classical guitars there all the time and all sorts.
    However, existence of the product itself is a problem like you said, sure. Extended range classicals are more common.
    D'addario seem to do singles up to 70 in reasonable increments though! Were you aware? http://daddario.com/DADProductDetai...=98&productname=Phosphor_Bronze_Wound_Singles

However, I've gotta say - I just gave up on acoustic strings. Afterall, there isn't anything specifically electric or acoustic about strings, unless talking about nylon which aren't magnetic so can't be used with a pickup of course. Ernie Balls popular nickels say electric/acoustic on them afterall :) I started using the same Kalium brand strings on acoustic as I was already sourcing ERG sets for my electrics there. Try Stringjoy too, recently got some and they are great! I've come to far prefer nickelwounds on acoustic anyway. Was never a huge fan of the bronze stuff, seem to get nasty and smelly on my fingers real fast. $3 off Stringjoy: http://stringjoy.refr.cc/D4V7MVR :)

3. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

Nice! I'll look into those sites. I plan to get a 7 string classical myself, so your post has helped greatly. I didn't know about the .70 from D'addario either, as I pretty much had my heart set on Thomastik. I got a set of 7chrome flatwounds to put on the AJ for now and they're actually much better than I'd anticipated. Once I make the nut and saddle. What brand/model is your classical by the way? >_>

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Nice :) I love flatwounds on my archtop. I have a Bartolex fanned 8 and a Milagro alto 11. I got the Bartolex back when it was the only affordable 8, shortly before Ibanez released theirs (and maybe Agile, or do they only do steel strings still?)

5. odibrom

odibrom .

I have an Ibby AJ307CENT since 2007/8 and I've been using D'Addario ever. I buy a .010 set and an extra single of .056 and call it a day. I use an European string retailer but I'm sure those can be found in US.

I also buy sets like these (but a .013 set + a .065) flatwounds for my fretless. I once was using these flatwounds on my RG7421 with DA7s and they had some very interesting tones...

6. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

You can use wooden emery boards to widen string slots in the nut without deepening them.

7. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

I think Agile only rocks the steel strings in this market, but wouldn't be surprised to see a classical offering. I was pretty close to getting Ibanez's G207 when they were released, but there was a significant delay so the money I'd set aside for it ended up being used elsewhere by time they actually made it to the streets. :(

When I got my AJ307 it had some light electric strings on it- I'm guessing 10s or maybe even 9s. They sounded super thin, though that could've been because they were old and dirty. A .56 as the low B seems pretty light, especially compared to typical acoustic strings. Do you still get a big, voluminous sound out of it? The body is pretty big so I don't think you'd have trouble competing against most acoustics. How does it compare to other dreadnoughts and jumbos?

8. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Yeah I have a jumbo steel string baritone myself which I tune to A or B. I would agree a 56 would be no good for me personally, though it barely would be on electric either. I like a 62 which is in line with the 10-46 set I'd use for E.
    On my baritone steel I tend to rock a 72 nickelwound for A and definitely wouldn't go lighter myself. About inline with the common 12-52 standard scale acoustic feel. More would not go amiss, given the extra flexibility of the scale length.