Entry-level seven strIng: What brand?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by SlamLiguez, Oct 27, 2015.

1. SlamLiguez

SlamLiguez Voidist.

I've had my ESP-M 17 for a while now, but the rest of their lineup isn't doing anything for me. I've been looking into other brands and am currently facing a brand dilemma, which of these guitars should I get?
    Ibanez GRG2271
    Agile Septor 725
    Jackson JS227
    Thanks!

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'd say the Agile or Jackson would probably be the best of the bunch, with the Agile being the top best.

3. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

My general impression without having tryed any of them, but just from what people say on this forum would be to get the Jackson. They get a lot of praise: The bridge is actually very good, which is rare on entry level guitars. It should also stay in tune pretty well and be nice to play. You can upgrade it with a nice bridge pickup for 100$ and have a great guitar.

Ibanez gio is generally a no-go, everything about them just screams 'cheap' in that they cut corners with everything, so I imagine that the bridge will be uncomfortable, will not stay in tune and sound like garbage.

I have never really heard of the agile septor.

4. Action

Action SS.org Regular

From what people here say, Agile offers savings on a new instrument, but with quality control issues; if you get a good one, they're an excellent deal, and if you don't, whoops. Also, I don't know if they're good or bad, but people say better things about the passive cephus pickups than the active, and the Agile you named is an active model.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

The Jackson. You literally cannot go wrong at that price if you walk into the store & play it first to make sure it doesn't have like, a warped neck/poor frets. The major point being, that few people have had any issues like that with a $200 Jackson. They are great for the money, and the bridge is a hipshot copy, so very comfortable. $0.02

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've only ever played one Gio-level Ibanez for any length of time and it felt more like a toy than an entry level instrument. If it was a standard series Ibby, I'd go for that 'cause I like Ibanez stuff, but I wouldn't go anywhere near a Gio.

7. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

Definitely the Jackson. Out of all those guitars, the Jackson stands the best chance to be an awesome player right off the shelf. Fender's absolutely hit it out of the park with their Chinese factory lately across all their brands.

The Agile would be an alright choice if you're willing to take advantage of the return policy (and hope Kurt is accommodating, I've heard he isn't always) and invest a decent amount of time and money to get it decently set up.

8. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

I agree with the above. The Gio wouldn't be strong enough

9. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I'd get the Jackson.The new js line isn't that bad for what they are. If you want an Ibanez, and want to stay on the cheaper side, look for a used 7321 or 7421.

10. SlamLiguez

SlamLiguez Voidist.

Thanks million guys, my first post and I got actual feedback! :agreed: I'll go for the Jackson first and take the risk on the Agile later😆no love for the Ibanez though haha

11. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

If you can, find the Jackson but get the one with the maple fretboard. I've played 3 of em and they've all been pretty sweet. Plus, maple ....in' rules.

12. orion

orion SS.org Regular

Agile is great, the Cepheus active is one of the best pickups I have heard when using bright picks made of Agate stone. To my taste the Cepheus active is better then the EMG 707 and EMG 81-7 which I currently have.

I have only tried one agile but it may be true about the quality control. In any case, which ever guitar is bought a beginner will want to have someone experienced look at it.

I had a very nice Agile septor elite 727 that I sent back because of a somewhat low first fret and unpolished frets. I wish I have kept that guitar and leveled/polished the frets... That guitar was magical... So much tone!

13. J-Fender7

J-Fender7 The Son of Fender

I personally think a used RG7321 is a great entry level. I got one as a backup and its become my main since. Plus used their only just over $200, which seems to be just in your price range. I've heard GC has a pretty great return policy for used gear too. I would change the pickups, but i've made due with them for almost a year now.

14. SlamLiguez

SlamLiguez Voidist.

Looking at the rest of Ibanez' lineup (the Xiphos omg), the great guitarists that use them (Watch any of Archspires playthroughs) and the suggestion this GENIUS made, I think I might go ahead and start collecting Ibbys :cool: besides, I'll be able to try all the other brands over time, right?😆

15. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

I'll have to go with the Jackson out of those three.

J-Fender makes a great point. I know its a little more money, but if you can find a good used RG7321 you'd be very happy.

Later down the road I put Evo 7's in mine. Now a days I like it over my 1527, and Loomis...Can you imagine that? Ha :lol:

You'll find what you like in time! I now know how much more I like fixed bridge sevens over ones with trems etc.

My next guitar will likely be an Ibanez 7 of sorts. I just can't find anything I like more. But hey, just my opinion :2c:

16. TankJon666

TankJon666 SS.org Regular

I'd suggest picking up a used RG7321 as well.

17. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

If you can find one of the older MIK 7321s you're golden.

18. orion

orion SS.org Regular

One more vote for the Ibanez. I have never played a RG7321 but if it's anything like the RG7620 it will make an awesome entry level guitar.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  19. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Jackson!

20. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

Schecter!

Used omen is good. Grabbed a used Revenger for about $150 shipped! It's sick.