Enslaved

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Doug N, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Doug N

Doug N SS.org Regular

i kmow I'm about 20 years late to the party but I've recently really gotten into Enslaved. I'm working my way back through their catalogue and it's all killer. I'm a huge fan of old Opeth and I don't think I've stumbled on to any band as similar to them as Enslaved. New Enslaved is on the way, keep your eyes and ears open!

Any other bands that are this similar to Opeth?

zappatton2 likes this.
  2. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

Enslaved is one of my all time favorite bands. I don't know that I would say they're underrated, but definitely don't get the praise they should.

They put on a great live show too if you ever get the chance.

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I love Enslaved, been listening since Isa

Most people agree that Below the Lights is their best album. I can't say that I disagree

But Isa, Ruun, and RIITIIR are also favorites of mine. For some reason Vertibrae never did it for me. Monumension is also really cool. Stuff before that is... well, it's definitely not bad by any means, but it lacks the draw of what comes after. In Times still hasn't really grabbed me either. Axioma is totally good but for some reason whenever I'm about to pick it I choose RIITIIR instead so that I can hear Roots of the Mountain

-------

My biggest BEEF with Enslaved is that though I've seen them a few times, I think at least 3 times, they fill their live show with the boring ass old-school black metal songs, which I'm basically uninterested in. Like, they consistently play at least 2 or 3 songs from Frost every time I've seen them live. It's a waste, because they also NEVER play my most favorite Enslaved songs any time I've seen them.

cwhitey2 and KailM like this.
  4. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

Enslaved is fantastic, but I don't find them all to similar to Opeth. If you want something Opeth-like, though, check out Steorrah.

5. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Newer Enslaved totally sounds like mid-period Opeth at times. Noticed that especially since Vertebrae.

Mardraum is by far my favourite by them. Storre Enn Tid - Tyngre Enn Natt is among the best opening tracks ever.

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

OH DUDE

I totally forgot

Enslaved has an EP called Thorn, and it's totally awesome. It's only 2 tracks, but it's like very pleasantly lo-fi and atmospheric. It isn't typical of modern-day Enslaved at all, but I really enjoy it.

crg123 likes this.
  7. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

I first heard them back in the 90's and loved them then, but sort of took a break around Eld. Came back with Isa, and I gotta say, they just got so much better with age! I'm really glad they grew beyond the confines of Black Metal and became, to me, one of the more creative and innovative bands in metal generally. All praise is due!

8. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I'm very stoked for the new album, but admittedly it kind of sounds like their last 3-4 albums and I was hoping they'd unveil a new sound. I could be wrong though; I've only heard two songs off of E so far.

As for their comparison with Opeth, I think they are similar in the regard that they have their own sound, and have always had a unique sound; but that sound also changed through time. They are also masters of creating atmosphere and mood. Very progressive. The big difference is that newer Enslaved material still captures my interest while Opeth's latest puts me to sleep faster than a couple beers followed by a massage.:coffee:

I do like RIITIIR the best out of their most modern albums, but none of their last 5 albums were slouches by any means.

My absolute favorite album is Blodhemn. Have you ever heard such an epic display of black/viking metal? The album just turns up a notch with each track. Love it!

Vikingligr Veldi is amazing as well, but I have to be in the right mood. I never cared for Frost as much, at least the way most people praise it.

9. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Frost!

10. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

A lot! Ne Obliviscaris, In Mourning, Barren Earth, Disillusion, In Vain, Anciients, In the Woods, Dark Suns, Black Crown Initiate... all of them have a few or a lot of old Opeth elements, but this is my favourite, from my country, Moonloop:

11. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

When people say "sounds like Opeth" they are practically always referring to their older material. (which is kind of a funny reflection on how little people care about the last few albums!)

12. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

I took a break from these guys after the Emperor/Enslaved split (yeah), but been a fan again since Vertebrae.

13. vilk

vilk Very Regular

A band that I always thought was very very Opeth is called Be'lakor.

Edit: Wait... now I think I'm remember wrong and the band I'm thinking of is Barren Earth

Edit: I remembered, the band is called Ikuinen Kaamos. But maybe all three of these bands sound like Opeth.

chopeth likes this.
  14. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

:pickle:

15. Doug N

Doug N SS.org Regular

Don't know if it's the new car smell or what, but the new Enslaved is very good. Maybe more proggy than previous but I like it a lot.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  16. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

yep, it's definitely more interesting and exciting than In Times. Lots of unexpected twists and turns, very cool proggy parts but without losing the Enslaved vibe.

Love the new keyboardist/singer too. Seems like both vocally and as a player he's more diverse and exciting.

17. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Enslaved never disappoint, second spin and liking it a lot.

18. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Finally got around to buying E, and boy does it kick the ass of In Times.

19. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

[​IMG]

Stacked lineup, and it's actually coming here too. Stoked for Khemmis, Hunted was one of my faves from last year.

20. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

Been a fan since 96, but very selectively. I love the old black metal stuff, but think 'Below the Lights' and 'Isa' are nearly flawless albums. To think they put those out back-to-back in two years is pretty crazy. I check in on them like every couple albums or so, Axioma was solid, Vertebrae I didn't get into as much, but it can also just come down to if I'm in Enslaved mode when the album comes out in terms of how much more prog I feel I can take.
    Not necessarily similar, but similar trajectory with Opeth and Neurosis. Both pretty well past what I consider their peak in terms of my own tastes, but strong enough legacy that I'd still love to see them if it wasn't super pricey and convenient to do so.