Engl Powerball w/ multi effects processor

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ibanezroman7, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ibanezroman7

ibanezroman7 SS.org Regular

I want something that will switch my channels on the amp, that's affordable and allow me to keep my current pedals looped into it. I use a Engl Powerball original w/ MRX CARBIN COPY DELAY, ISP DECIMATOR, KEELEY 4 Knob compressor.. And my guitar is a Caparison Dillenger 7

my tone is great when it comes to the crunch, but I want a boost for my leads, a chorus (which i'm thinking of buying the Dreamscape and always keeping it on) but I want diversity so I can have very ambient sounds to experiment with also minus the dreamscape.. any ideas????!

I DON'T WANT THIS AFFECTING MY TONE EITHER!!!

2. GTailly

GTailly Intellect's Minion

You want a boost that won't affect your tone? Not sure if I missed something here. :scratch:

Don't know much about choruses but check out some classic for boosts such as maxon's od808 or od820, ibanez TS9 or even a protone deadhorse maybe?

3. vanhendrix

vanhendrix SS.org Regular

4. glpg80

glpg80 √εvil

You dont want the G system. Talk about a tone sucker, the AD/DA's will do exactly that.

What you need is a simple clean boost. Keeley makes a few models and there are others out there.

For the amp switching, you can use an RJM amp gizmo.

Untitled Document

5. Luke Acacia

Luke Acacia STRAYA

With my PB II, The footgswitch that comes with the amp does what you want.
    I set up my amp and my tone then set the mid boost to higher than the usual mid on the channel and when its time for solos/leads I hit the mid boost which gives me a push in the mix. It keeps my volume where it is but makes me cut through higher. That with a simple delay and BAM, the tone is amazing and it pushes you just infront of the other guitar so that your being heard.

6. ibanezroman7

okay I think I have an idea.. the only effects i'll want to switch back and forth are my delay and chorus.. I really want those to come on my ENGL's clean channel only .. I definitely don't need any of those other effects because those are the only two i'll want going on and off.. there has to be a way to change my channel and turn those pedals on without having to buy the GCX system I know some of you are thinking about..

i've looked into the ENGL Z pedals but none have read that they support the feature to use other effects pedals in sync with those.

HELP!

7. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

unfortunately, looper system aren't very affordable.

still, the G-Lab stuff is top quality and has a fair price tag in contrast to a G-system or the voodoo-lab shit

edit: here's another idea: get a TC electronic g-major and use it to switch channels on your powerball as well. that way, you could fully programm channels and FX in your loop and control them by MIDI.

8. vanhendrix

vanhendrix SS.org Regular

That only has one (stereo) relay. Wouldn't be able to control the powerball properly.

Another alternative, since you guys shot down my G-System idea, is the Rocktron pathmate floor. It'll switch your pedals in loops, and if you have a midi interface hooked up to your amp (engl makes one), then you can do everything via midi. This is more complicated than the G-Sys, but could still work. I have the rack one and use a midi mate to do all of my switching and control my own PB. Or I would, if I didn't have to constantly deal with motherfucking ground loops.

Anyways, here's the link:

Rocktron - PatchMate Loop 8 Floor

9. ibanezroman7

I think today I made the wise decision... i'm getting an AXE FX 2

10. Eric Christian

Eric Christian Banned

Keep it simple. Don't use all the G-System rubbish that will leave you scratching your head or looking like an idiot at a gig when you get some big ground loop going and none of your shit will work cause there a big 60 cycle hum chugging away. I wish someone would have told me a long time ago what I'm going to tell you now. There isn't anyway to have your cake and eat it too. All that crap wont play well together and it will suck the sick dirty bomblast tone right out of your ENGL and it will reduce its burliness to that of Pee Wee Herman on a bike. Bottom line you need to split up your system to wet/dry. Check and see if your cabinet is stereo first otherwise you'll need another cabinet.

Either way you need a simple solid state power amp, a good A/B/Y box and a few more good cables. Channel A will be your ENGL head with your gate, compressor and overdrive. Thats all. Simple and brutal.

Channel B on your A/B/Y box will feed to your chorus/reverb/delay and then into your power amp and then to the other side of the stereo cabinet and/or another cabinet. You'll be amazed how it sounds. You can run the straight clean sound with one foot click and then click over to ENGL with the other button. Then when you want to do leads you wont be boosting your ENGL you'll be clicking on the B which will give you the effects and an increase in percieved volume.

Another option if you got piles of cash laying around and you really want to get fancy get the 3 channel power amp that Matrix makes and set up a true wet/dry/wet system that will run in true stereo. So yeah, you need two additional cabinets. So yeah, this is my setup with 3 cabinets sans the Matrix power amp though.

Hope that all makes sense to you. Go look up Eddie Van Halen's rig or Google "wet/dry/wet"...

http://matrixamplification.com/