ENGL Powerball V2

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Samer, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Samer

Samer Dybbuk

Ok so i had my Powerball for a year and just sold it recently (went with an ENGL Invader)

I will break this review down into the categories below (most important)

Tone: (most important)

This amp is very easy to use, and easy to dial, its hard to dial into a "bad tone". It has its signature gain sound (think of Jeff Loomis / Chris Broderick) that's the tone this amp gets and the best clean tone possible (IMO of course).

The claim that this amp cannot "cut" in the mix is unfounded in my experience, at loud volumes it sits well in the mix with other amps you just need to be able to EQ both amps to compliment each other.

I would basically say this amp has three usable tone types, amazing clean, brutal metal rhythm, and great lead. If you are looking for a "hard rock" or plexi style amp this wont cut it, but for metal this does it perfectly.

Ease of Use:

Very easy to dial this amp into a good metal tone, cant really go wrong here.

Features:

* Preamp: 4 channels: Clean, Crunch, Low Gain Lead, High Gain Lead, 2 Bright/Bottom switches, Extra Crunch Treble control, 2 EQs, each 4 band, one for channel 1/2, one for channel. Volume controls for each channel, 4 x ECC83 preamp tubes

* Master Section: 100W (1 x ECC 83, 4 x 6L6GC power amp tubes), Master A/B, Presence, Depth Punch controls

* Outputs: Integrated Noise Gate for high gain channels, threshold control, fx loop control (parallel to serial), 2 x Z-4 or Custom Z-5 footswitch ports, Speaker Outs (2 x 4, 2 x 8, 1 x 16 Ohms)

* Dimensions: 71 x 27 x 27 cm

* Weight: 20 kg; 44.1 lb.

Reliability:

Never had any issues, built like a tank!

Value:

The price of a new one is $1999 + $230 for the foot switch, not the best deal out there, but it is what it is.

Overall Rating:

Great amp for what it is, i would strongly recommend it for any metal players; the only flaws are the internal noise is only for the FX loop, will not stop "hum" so you do need an extra noise gate. Over all i would give it a solid 5/5 for what it is.

2. Saber_777

Saber_777 ///M

I honeslty hate seeing these. I want one of these sooo baddddddd. Honestly guys, words cant describe. The tonal response I have heard is omre than amazing, sadly for that price the only think I will get close to that is a modeler. Enjoy it mman and always appericiate it!