ENGL Powerball V1

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by LordOVchaoS, Mar 29, 2007.

1. LordOVchaoS

LordOVchaoS NUDE MAN! Forum MVP

I like it more than I liked my rectos but it doesn't slay them at all they're just different. I'd say if I wasn't going for the tech/death style I'd still prefer rectos but this amp just does the style I'm going for right now much better.

I tried my FIRST one a decade ago and several since then. There's one at my practice spot sometimes that another guy that jams with my drummer occasionally leaves there. I plugged into it 2 weeks ago and yep... still don't like 'em.

2. Engl Powerball

Engl Powerball SS.org Regular

Excellent, comprehensive review of the amp. You are hitting on the pros and cons that most users that I have read mention - Pros - killer gain, lots of channels, great for metal, etc. Cons - noisegate, lack of included footswitch

A couple questions for owners of the amp:

1) Any non-metal players using this amp or do you feel it is kind of a "metal only" amp?
    2) How would you choose to record with this amp: direct out or mic it?
    3) Do you use an Engl cab or another with it?

Sounds like you got the amp too for a good price.

3. BigK

BigK SS.org Regular

Great review, I've got a powerball and I've put a 5751 in V1 and JJec83's in the rest + JJ6L6GC's in the power amp and it really helps to warm the amp up no end.

It is definately skewed towards metal, BUT I think the clean is absolutely great and can be really warm and great for jazzy blues stuff. and the crunch channel can do a pretty decent AC/DC esque tone.

For recording it would need to be Mic'ed as it doesnt have a direct out.

And I use mine with a Framus Cobra 4x12 loaded with greenbacks. It does sound awesome with V30's and G12K-100's too though.

I think it is a great versatile hard rock/metal amp that can do other things too.

4. Iron Beard

Iron Beard SS.org Regular

i had 1 of these and loved the tone but it wouldnt cut threw at all. very disappointing!

5. Matx

Matx Ninja

want. so much GAS