ENGL owners thread. Forumball 100

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by firebelly, Nov 26, 2013.

1. firebelly

firebelly SS.org Regular

Searched for an ENGL thread and couldn't find one. I see them pop up reasonably often on here so I figured I'd make one.

I'll start off with questions on two common concerns about ENGLs

- Has anyone used generic/alternate pedals to replace the footswitches? I know some people have success using generics to replace Z-4s, how about Z-5s, Z-9s etc?

Voodooman do generics for Z-4s at a pretty good price and seem to look sturdy, I haven't used them though so couldn't comment on their reliability etc
    VoodooMan Switches - ENGL

Guy that made a clone of a Z-5, never says whether it worked or not. He includes schematics, parts list etc
    SkyNet3D's hobbies: Engl Z5 Footswitch clone.

- Can I use a Z-5 footswitch for an ENGL SE e670? The footswitch includes all the channels, reverb and master which is what I want, but it says its compatible with e650, not e670. Can I still use it?

2. firebelly

firebelly SS.org Regular

Also the Denmark ENGL site (official? I assumed it would be in a german domain but maybe denmark is just hosting or something) has updated with the new lines of amps

Retro, Victor and Ironball!
    Ironball looks great, can't wait to get my hands on one to try. I'm not sure how it's meant to place in the lineup alongside the Gigmaster though

Startseite (EN)

3. xzyryabx

xzyryabx SS.org Regular

I had a voodooman replacement Z-4 for my Fireball 100 and it worked just fine. It's a pretty simple pedal so I don't doubt that you could make one yourself if need be.
    try buying used cause it took forever to get mine and communication with the guy is terrible.
    I currently have an Ironball and I love it. I actually prefer it over my old Fireball 100 and Savage 120 for home use.

4. evilsaint

evilsaint SS.org Regular

No problem for me to use old 5150 2-buttons footswitch with Powerball II and RB.

Nope. You can't use Z5 since there is no Sub-D port on E670.
    You could use generic MIDI footswitch with external power supply or power supply pin modification.

5. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

I used a cheap Marshall channel switching pedal with the Fireball 60, works great. There's no LED on the pedal, though, but I hear that's why it works.

EDIT:
    .de is for Deutschland :)

6. firebelly

firebelly SS.org Regular

Makes sense

7. bebbe

bebbe SS.org Regular

Sweden, ie In a distant galaxy, far far away
    .de is Deutchland (Germany) as mentioned above
    .dk would mean Denmark

8. bebbe

bebbe SS.org Regular

Sweden, ie In a distant galaxy, far far away
    If you are on the hunt for an E670, I would suggest searching the web to find one of those elusive E580 preamps instead. That is the top of the line Engl preamp, too expensive to sell in larger quantities though. Combined with an Engl like poweramp and they deliver the goods but are far more versatile than the E670. I'll never sell mine. With the fractal and kemper craze going on, someone might be stupid enough to let one go at an more affordable price.. Just a thought..

9. Hemorrhage

Hemorrhage SS.org Regular

Our other guitarist is selling his E580 and E850/100 power-amp. Extremely awesome setup. I, too, had the E580 and its really good pre-amp and the prices for used ones are not that bad. (The original retail on the other hand was ridiculous).

10. Manhell

Manhell SS.org Regular

Hello there,

I am a former ENGL owner, I had in the past a Blackmore and an Invader but unfortunately the Blackmore had Just one EQ for all and that didn't suited me and the Invader was not of my taste and really gainy even with the noise gate.

I'd love to have my old Blackmore back not just because of the sound but because it was pretty good looking here's why:

[​IMG]

the Invader was, in my opinion, not as good sounding as the Blackmore, a little plastic for me, and it was misfortune that my other guitarist had a Diezel VH4 so I was in always searching for that tone (eventually I got one) so I traded it for a Axe Fx at the time.

I developed a love/hate relation with ENGL, for me the good ones are the line of the Blackmore, Savage and SE and I dislike Fire, Powerballs and Invaders.
    A friend have a VS and I got to say that I didn't like it at all, super fizzy noisy and sharp, not good tone for me.

It would be nice to know the opinions of the users, specially on the newer models that I've never tried.

Let's spice this one up :flame: