ENGL E530 preamp into Peavey 50/50 Classic power amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Descent, Mar 15, 2019 at 2:05 AM.

1. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Hey all,
    I've rack mounted (or rack drawered my pedals) and finally got my Voodoolab GCX and Ground Control rig to switch channels on the E530.
    I am powering with a well preserved Peavey Classic 50/50 tube power amp.
    The Ground control commands the GCX which switches pedal effects in my rack and also switches channels and gain on the E530. It all tested out okay at home, but taking this to rehearsal I am having a horrible amount of "helicopter noise" on high gain settings.

I am running out of ideas, everything is connected the same. We rehearse in an old building with spotty electricity, so that's a given. I have a power strip feeding this rack. I am starting to think maybe tubes on the preamp are getting microphonic as positioning the whole rig seems to get affected. The power amp is fine, that was used before and didn't exhibit any weirdness.

There is a noise gate on the input but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Have you tried eliminating all the variables for testing ie only running the E530 into the CL50/50? Are the 2 units on top of each other in the rack or are they spaced out? Does it happen at low volume or just at high?

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

when you say power strip, do you mean a Power conditioner running everything?

my rehearsal space has DREADFUL electrics and so much of my gear was unusable at loud volumes. The second I got everything powered off a power conditioner, everything cleaned up beautifully. I got the Furman PL Plus CE

but yeah could also be some crapped out tubes I guess. THats the cheaper option at this point so try a retube of the E530 and then see where you are at?

4. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

It's likely the building's electrical. You can take your rig home and plug it into the mains to see if you get the same thing. If you do, it's your rig, if not, likely the building's electrical. A power conditioner will improve the situation greatly.

budda likes this.
  5. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Tested out at home at similar volume levels thru a different speaker and it was perfectly fine, was absolutely diggin' how beautiful everything sounded and dreams of rock stardom were floating about :)

I isolated the preamp and poweramp in one loop (super easy with Voodoolabs GCX as it patches these two) and yeah, the nastiness is there. I had that preamp in there by itself before into a Windsor head and it was doing the same noise thing. I will have to try one of the other outlets just to rule that out.

Unfortunately in this rack I had no room for power conditioner so I had to take it out, so I need to figure out a floor solution or something. I do have the power conditioner out of the rack but will take it to next practice just to rule out.

Any floor standing power conditioners you'd recommend?

Funny thing is that this studio is close to a Mexican radio station so as soon as you turn on the distortion it starts playing Tejano :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 2:31 PM
    lewis likes this.
  6. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Furman makes a power conditioning power bar. Not as fancy as some of their rack options but it will likely help.

lewis likes this.
  7. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Forgot to mention the preamp and power amp are 4 spaces apart. Honestly the E530 has been super quiet at home and the power amp has been super quiet everywhere :)

lewis likes this.
  8. RoboKopp

RoboKopp SS.org Regular

Try playing with the positioning of the brick power supply of the GCX. Back when I had my Rocktron Patchmate I had all kinds of noise issues until I started moving around it's power brick. It's been awhile but the best position with the least amount of noise seemed to when the brick was mounted to the top of my case above the patchmate. IMG_42481.jpg

9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Check out the Tripp Lite Isobar. They have 2,4,6 outlet floor configs I believe. Better built than the Furman floor strip and similar price if I remember correctly. I use Tripp Lite, my drummer uses the Furmans.

10. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Thanks guys!

I don't have access until this weekend but I'll take my Juice Goose power conditioner and will try moving the power strip around. That's super annoying...last time I had this issue was with a DD3 running off of non-dedicated power supply, but it was noisy everywhere. I have the DD3 in the chain now so maybe I'll troubleshoot that as well. The demoralizing fact is that everything worked beautiful at home.

11. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Apparently the singer got smashed last night and he can't get his lazy ass to practice. I decided not to bother as well.

Will post tests next week :)

lewis likes this.