Engl Blackmore - the unanswered questions...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by elucia69, Sep 7, 2013.

1. elucia69

elucia69 SS.org Regular

hi all,

been reading a lot on the Blackmore (read: "everything the Web offers and the manual").
    From what I gather: its a bright amp, it does metal and then some, cuts through the mix esp. with the mid boost engaged and so on, very organic feel....

I agree with all this.
    BTW mine is an older 6L6 version. Tubes are JJ all around right now.

Here are my questions, as I can't find the answer to them anywhere:

1 - (Mains question) I know it gets thin at high volumes. It does. I have read: "leave the Master vol high (above 12:00) and lower the preamp gain to get a thicker tone". The logic behind this is to tame the brightness by lowering the preap vol and use the PA section for thickness. Anyone try this? True or not? Any other advise? I play in band situation only, no large venues.

2 - Is it normal I'm always playing channel 4 (Lead High Gain) for metal?? (LOG, Veil, Within the Ruins, Faceless and such) or should chan 3 (Lead Lo Gain) be my main rhythm and use 4 for leads only?!? Hence the question: does chan 3 have enough distortion for this without a boost?

3- Is it normal I have to keep my presence almost off because it becomes so bright so quickly?

4 - How would it sound through a Krank oversized Eminence loaded cab (Legend 4x12) vs my Avatar Contemporary V30/k100 I have? Is the upgrade to a Mesa std (OS) V30 cab worth it?

I've listed the styles played above,
    I use :
    Guerilla M6 Trench w/EMG 81-85
    Custom (luthier made) RG-style 7-string w/DM blaze
    Jackson COW Sig w/Blackout (phase 2)
    G-Major 2 in the loop (set in serial mode - patch lvls maxed to avoid tone suck - this actually works well!)
    ISP ProRackG
    Amp is NOT boosted and will not be.

I will def go and try everything mentioned on the amp and hear for myself, but I'm looking for other pple who have explored and experienced this amp before me!

Thanks!! :shred:

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Paging Wakjob.

3. silent suicide

silent suicide Winter is coming

I own one, so I can chime in a bit.
    But since I only play it at home I can not give you any information of it being able to play in a band.
    But I crank it up every now and then when I am alone at home, and damn it gets loud.
    So loud I actually have to leave the room.
    Again, you will have to try it out yourself in a band situation.

Channel 4 is indeed my main metal channel, channel 3 feels more of a punk/hardrock channel to me, even boosted.

Depending on your other settings I would have no idea, the presence is a bit over noon for me, and it's good.

I have only had the chance to play it through a crappy Marschall cab and an Orange 212, which I use now. But a darker sounding cab, for this bright amp, works well.

I can post a picture of my setings if needed :)

Hope it helped a little.
    And welcome to the forum.

4. elucia69

elucia69 SS.org Regular

great thanks!

5. elucia69

elucia69 SS.org Regular

:yesway:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  6. haydn

haydn SS.org Regular

I have one as well...

Can't answer your first question because I only play at low volumes. It is super bright sounding as you mentioned. I don't use channel 3 for much of anything when it comes to metal so I don't think it is odd that you stay on 4 all the time. I used to play with the presence very low but it seemed to really drain the tone so I keep it at noon now and make other adjustments to lessen the brightness. Through an Orange cab with V30's it is very bright - I would go for a darker sounding cab.

Hope that's helpful.

7. iron blast

iron blast Northern Winds

I have to ask why you refuse to use a boost?

8. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Eyes here.

1) Yes, it's loud. But 'thin' isn't the right description. It compresses, just like every tube amp at higher volumes.

2) Yep, channel 4 is the flame-thrower. So if you like completely saturated buzzsaw gain, this is where you need to be.

3) & 4) This is one of the most speaker sensitive amps I've owned. I really dug it with 12m-25 style greenback speakers. But I've READ that the Engl only V-60's were the perfect compliment to this head.
    Another honorable mention went to the Emi. Legend V12 and P-50e speakers.

Tubes and speaker selection are where it's at with this amp. I can talk to a tube guru and see what they recommend for a suitable 6L6 replacement.
    Wouldn't hurt to start rolling some good glass in the preamp also. Possible NOS stuff at least for v1 & v2.

The producer for AIC now has my Blackmore. And loves it.

9. elucia69

elucia69 SS.org Regular

Great replys thanks!

@ Iron Blast:
    Great question (which I asked myself before!), to which I can give 2 answers, but it always ends up being personal preference anyways. I find this amp is tight enough on its own and I like its natural gain structure and compression. And then there's the rig, which I control via midi and a Control Switcher (Voodoo Lab) to switch all functions available on the head and G-Major with 1 click. i.e: I don't want to add a loop in my rack OR stomp some more. By adjusting the second Master Vol and engage mid boost, I pretty much get a great lead sound and level as well.

@Wakjob:
    I was indeed going to put an RFT in V1, seems to be the consensus on taming the brightness of this particular amp. Let me know what else the gurus recommend!
    As for speakers, your recommendations make sense. As many Legend loaded Krank cabs are available in my region, I should be able to try the cabs side by side. I don't know if the Krank branded Legends are exact specs to V12 though. Also, I'll call my local Engl vendor see if they have a V60 loaded cab to try out, they are impossible to find used up here. Greenback M25s? I'll check those out.

:metal: